007 vs Hassy x1-D

Dsauro

My S bodies (S2 and007) are mostly collecting dust. I keep them because at some point I hope Leica will make a body worthy of the lenses.

The S lenses are spectacular. Not sharper than the XCD lenses but they have something extra, even when used on the SL. IQ with the S007 is great* and with the S3 it'll be amazing*, but....

The lenses and sensor don't have a body worth their while. A single focus pint, no touch screen, 2 minute maximum exposure time and mandatory LENR just don't cut it in 2019. Plus the focus is so inconsistent. It says it's on an then in post you see it's 2mm out. aaaarrrgggghhhh! 

The X1D has its own quirks. Startup is glacial. The EVF is mid range. Battery life is so so. But you can focus anywhere. IQ is stunning even in 30 minute exposures and it's genuinely tiny.

Leica have shot themselves in the foot with the S3. They'll sell a few. What they should have done is make a upsized SL with no mandatory LENR. But they didn't.

Gordon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I wrote “does not SEEM to understand....”

I may miss it because I am not looking to buy a new camera/ system, however I do not see any effort to emphasize the usefulness of the S and Monochrom to produce outstanding images. It could be that Leica is meeting their objectives with the current sales. It could be that they are not catering to customers that do the kind of work that I do. It could also be that they have not noticed that there are people who would not be satisfied with anything else on the market, who are not fashion or studio photographers.

I came to the S from 4x5 view camera work. The only thing I miss is movements; I can however work in terrible weather.

Jesse

djessemay.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think they gave up marketing the S long ago.  The lens AF debacle surely didn’t help, and Leica has never really even explained the cause(s). No new lenses in years.  I’d be surprised to see an S4, at least in the current configuration.  

The Monochroms are a niche within a niche. Seems buyers are mostly existing M owners, maybe going back to film Ms... but that’s just a guess.  I don’t see a big user base, not at new prices anyway.  

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

The Monochroms are a niche within a niche. Seems buyers are mostly existing M owners, maybe going back to film Ms... but that’s just a guess.  I don’t see a big user base, not at new prices anyway.  

Good thought. I doubt that many Monochrom users wish to return to film, even though film response is profoundly different. Few Monochrom enthusiasts appreciate the difference and in our broad constituency it is not necessary. I always look forward to their work, whether they are informed or not, and if not informed we might appreciate the virtue of a beginners mind.

Edited by pico

I think 45M M monochrome sensor will validate its intention. If there is no resolution advantage (current 24M) by removing RGB filter, why choose monochrome first hand. 

I agree the mindset of S should be different than M, Leica need embrace technology progress for the system. 

Am 30.5.2019 um 07:32 schrieb LeicaR10:

Dsauro,  I personally own(ed) and use(d) for my professional landscape image work the Leica S2, 006 and 007, plus the X1-D and Fuji systems.  I found my clients voted overwhelmingly with their wallets for images that I create with the S system.  I found myself selling both the X1-D and Fuji systems simply because my clients and companies that buy my images didn't like the rendering or feeling.  When I hike short distances for my landscapes, I take the S007 and several S lenses (age is a factor).   But for long-distance hikes to remote locations, I pack and carry my M10-P system and a few lenses that I feel will meet my creative needs.  Your genre of photography and preference for image rendering is a personal choice.  For me and clients who purchase my images, they prefer my work with the Leica S or M systems.  I find photographers who spend a lot of time dwelling on what camera to own might well be better off being concerned with creating photographs the make a person stop, look, think and perhaps feel, that moment in time they are attempting to capture.  To me, the photograph that can do this is what photography is all about...not the number of MPs or the latest model of camera.  r/ Mark

I own none of the two, but I wonder...can it be that this has more to do with the aspect ratio than anything else? I find 4:3 quite different from 3:2.
(That is one of the reason that kept me from buying the M-Monochrom...I find 3:2 just not quite right for all my B/W photography).

On 6/10/2019 at 2:07 PM, Vieri said:

Hi there, long time! :)

About your question, the answer to me is in approaching it purpose-oriented.

- If you do landscape as I do, with long exposures in the order of 10-12 minutes, any S is a non-starter being limited to 1 or 2 minutes; the X1D works up to 1h in A mode, no need for M mode or Bulb, and no need for a dark frame doubling your exposure time, with amazingly clean files;
- If you favour ultra-wide lenses for your landscape photography, meaning something around 16mm or wider, the S is a non-starter; the X1D has a native 21mm (16.5mm FOV equivalent), and can adapt pretty much any lens from any manufacturer, i.e. the Voigt 15mm, which vignettes slightly but ends up giving you a 13mm FOV equivalent coverage, or the Canon TS/E 17mm which does not vignette and also offer you a 13mm coverage (with more pixel left than the Voigt)
- If you need a compact & light system for hiking etc., the S makes that more difficult than the X1D;

Finally, I think that the introduction of the EVF is the single most important evolutionary change in camera design for landscape photography brought in by the digital revolution. Just to mention a few:

- With the EVF you can keep your filters and filter holders on the lens while focusing and recomposing, even with a 10 stopper in daytime, which is always convenient but extremely useful - not to say life-saver - when fiddling with filters and such is difficult or impossible;
- With the EVF you can compose precisely in near-darkness;
- With the EVF you can see your image's preview without taking your eye from the finder;
- With the EVF you can change all your settings without taking your eye from the finder; the last two are extremely useful when you are working in bright daylight;

As far as the files, the S and the X1D both output great files, but the X1D's are technically much better, cleaner and flexible to post-process. Of course, this has nothing to do with a "look", which one can favour or not. IMHO, however, with enough practice you can make any two files "look" the same, but if a file breaks up such as the SL with long exposures over 10 minutes, then there isn't much you can do to fix it.

So, for me and my work, the X1D is a no-brainer: best tool out there today. Of course, for people with different requirements, that can not be true. This is why we have so many different cameras, and we are very lucky to live in times where the offer is truly amazing with so many great camera systems to choose from.

Best regards,

Vieri

Many thanks Vieri, your valuable input is much appreciated and gave me a little push 😉

22 minutes ago, lx1713 said:

Many thanks Vieri, your valuable input is much appreciated and gave me a little push 😉

You are very welcome, I am always glad to help :) Best regards,

Vieri

42 minutes ago, peterv said:

I'm opening up a can of worms, I hope 🙂

Someone somewhere, please build an S to XDC adapter!

https://store.hasselblad.com/products/x1d-ii-50c

€6K is an interesting price point, I guess we can only daydream about the affordability of the S3.

That price is very attractive, the major cost is of course getting a new set of lenses so an S to XDC adapter would be a dream but most likely that will remain a dream?

59 minutes ago, Milan_S said:

I do hope Leica considers to adjust the price point of the S3 closer to the pricing of X1D...

At US $5750 for X1DII, good luck getting in the same galaxy.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

50 minutes ago, Joakim said:

That price is very attractive, the major cost is of course getting a new set of lenses so an S to XDC adapter would be a dream but most likely that will remain a dream?

There was a guy over at LuLa a few years back who claimed he could make such adapters in his workshop, I believe it could be done. Although I’d much rather have Leica or Hasselblad make an officially supported adapter. 

Personally, I would want to keep using my S lenses whenever I could, don’t seem to care much for the look of the XCD lenses.  

Too bad it has no focal plane shutter still and I don’t expect its E shutter read out speed will be much faster than MKI with the same sensor. That means even it can adapt S glasses, it can only take stationary subject. 

Then the zoom is 1150g only 100g less with less range compare to Leica ones.

Price is a surprise for sure, otherwise nothing changed MAP IMHO. This also give me an idea that S3 will be cheaper as well.  they two actually take the similar approach regarding upgrade.

I do like 907 with new back though, not very practical for many things but must be fun to use.  

1 hour ago, peterv said:

There was a guy over at LuLa a few years back who claimed he could make such adapters in his workshop, I believe it could be done. Although I’d much rather have Leica or Hasselblad make an officially supported adapter. 

Personally, I would want to keep using my S lenses whenever I could, don’t seem to care much for the look of the XCD lenses.  

Fully manual adapter should be doable, but rather limited use of S-lenses with fixed aperture only (manual focus is less problematic, for many, with an okish evf to guide the focusing). 

Edited by helged

1 hour ago, peterv said:

The look of the lenses themselves, or of the IQ they produce?

Jeff