Odd CL behavior

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a new to me CL, purchased in April 2019.  It is running firmware 2.2.  When I use the 18-56 Lens it works great.  When I use the Leica M-Adapter L with my Leitz Wetzlar Summicron-C f2, 40mm it works great.  When I use the same Leica M-Adapter L with my Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Summaron f3.5 cm 1:3.5 READY FOR THIS, it works fine in the house in lower light, but when I take it outside I start getting a screen that says

New Lens detected

unknown lens

Lens profiles

and now matter what I select I can't get the camera to recognize any lens configuration or work with the Summaron.  I put the Summicron-C back on and everything works fine again.  I have also taken the battery out put it back in...same result.  Done a camera reset...same result.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?  Oh and by the way when I first got the camera with the factory provided firmware (I don't remember the number) I tested the Summaron lens with the Leica M-Adapter L ...it worked fine.  I upgraded to the newest firmware and now it no longer works.  Could it possibly be the firmware update??  Seems weird to me that both lenses would work with the old firmware and now after the upgrade to firmware 2.2 one old lens would work with the adapter and another old lens would not. And why would the CL/Summaron work fine in my study but not outdoors?

Any ideas?

Any way to go back to the old firmware?

Jim

The adapter tries to read the code of the lens. The code is read optically. It appears that the bright ambient light causes the reader to malfunction. Try to shield the code reader from bright sunlight. It's at about 5 o'clock as seen from the front.

I think it's quite conceivable that you didn't use the lens in bright ambient light with the older firmware.

Jim, 

Are these thread mount lenses? and what LTM to M-mount adapters are you using? 

There are some problems with original Leica thread mount adapters with respect to the six bit code reader. I ran into this with two of these adapters (and with one jamming on the M Adapter L). The solution to my problems was to buy the latest LTM to M Rayqual lens mount adapters from CameraQuest. These eliminated all the problems, and allowed me to paint lens codes so that my LTM lenses now automatically pull up the lens codes I've decided work best with them. 

I have had this with non Leitz lenses especially using adapters. One way to stop it is while a lens is on the camera that it agrees with and you are going to put on a lens that doesn't agree with the camera is to then turn off the lens profiles. I am surprised there isn't a profile for the 35 f3.5 Summaron, unless it is a screw mount.

Tom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Summaron is a screw mount, but it has a (screw to m adapter) that has worked on my previously owned M8, M 240, and a Fuji x-pro 2!! 

So I am perplexed as to why it doesn't work with the new Leica M-Adapter L on CL.

both the Summaron and the Summicron-C mount nicely on the M-Adapter L, but only the Summicron-C works on the CL. 

I don't get it.

P.S. I have lens profiles turned off, but when I mount the Summaron I get the screen that says

New Lens detected

unknown lens

Lens profiles

and then the camera will not respond to any menu changes until I turn it off and mount either the 18-56 or the Leica M-Adapter L with the Summicron-C.  Then everything works and I can make menu changes.

As I said I don't get it.

Jim

Here is an image of the summaron with the adapter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here is the front of this little jewel

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!