7artisans 75mm f/1.25 lens for Leica M-mount specifications and sample photos

lexontario

I found the focus adjustment process very straightforward, perhaps because I have done it before on their 50/1.1 and 35/2.

This time around, the lens was only very slightly off (didn't quite reach infinity) and a single adjustment was good enough. Setting proper infinity focus took care of closer distances. It took me literally 2 minutes.

The key is to make very small, incremental adjustments and then check with LV/EVF (assuming your camera belongs to the M240 or M10 generation - else it gets somewhat more tedious) until you are happy with the results.

Thanks, I have the M10-D, so LV is only possible over the phone, which makes the process somewhat more complex.

The process itself is not complicated, but to get everything right seems difficult.

Perhaps it is the lens, as with a 75mm at 1.25 nailing focus is not really easy. I got some good results (good sharpness at 1.25), but it is not easy to replicate, so most of my pictures seem to be slightly out of focus and I ask myself if I did something wrong at the calibration.

Take some time to ensure proper calibration: set camera on tripod, connect to phone, etc.

Once you are satisfied with it, and unless there's an issue with the lens itself, you will know that any focusing errors are user-induced 😉

In any event, the DoF @ f/1.25 is so thin that you can't expect to nail focus every time, especially if you shoot handheld and close to your subject...

• Like 1

I've been looking for a 75mm lens since I sold my Summicron f2 which had QC issues straight out the box, I aIso found it too clinical. I then bought a 75mm Summarit f2.5, well the less said the better about its build quality, they can't seem to sort out the rattle of the front portion of the barrel. Have been considering the 7Artisans. However I have some concerns especially when it comes to having set up focus calibration etc.

I'm going to play it safe and have ordered the Voigtlander 75mm f1.5 ASPH.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

37 minutes ago, michali said:

I then bought a 75mm Summarit f2.5, well the less said the better about its build quality, they can't seem to sort out the rattle of the front portion of the barrel. 

Strange, I have the 75mm Summarit f2.5 and find it superb. Also it seems to get an almost 100% from most users. Perhaps you were unlucky with yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, the aperture ring of my Summarit 75/2.5 started to spin freely shortly after I purchased it (new) about 10 years ago. It was fixed by Leica and has been fine ever since. It's lighter and easier to use than my Summicron 75/2 and, to be honest, I see little IQ difference (if any) between them in real-life use.

6 hours ago, Ecar said:

A quick update to my post above after receiving a reply from 7a: there are only 2 screws, not 3, on the focus ring adjustment - and a video explaining the calibration procedure can be found here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSmtmQs-oxc&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the video link!

I used the instructions from my 35/2 and there you should only move the ring 0,5mm - but the 75/1.25 needs bigger moves (3mm).

I think I now have it properly calibrated!

• Thanks 1

One in BW. Again wide open on the M10.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

On 8/13/2019 at 2:24 PM, Coltma said:

Got mine two days ago. I'm in China.

Very nice lens to me. But just found something "wrong" in the bokeh part. Right now it's on the way back to the factory. Need to check the QC again.

After my lens returned to the 7Art, they replied that the bokeh problem I described was an "optical design style." The goal is to sacrifice bokeh rendering to reduce the purple fringing at the focus point. They call this a normal phenomenon, not a QC problem. And kindly send back a new one to me. Hmmm...Yes, the same problem.

This is a typical busy bokeh rendering brought by overcorrected spherical aberration. You found a "bright core" in the background bokeh. As the focus moves away, the bokeh spot will gradually become large, dim and even, making it progressively more difficult to detect.

For your understanding, just finished another test. A crop of my LED panel at 1.2m away. Notice the focus distance I marked.

This is what it looks like in the actual photo, some street lights at 500m away. 100% cropped:

Since it is so cheap at 75/1.25 grade, I can really understand it's compromise.

But this does cause confusion in use. Be careful to avoid strong point light sources or strong textures in the background, especially before and after the focus point.

Finally, boring part is over. Please continue to love it. This lens is really special.;)

Edited by Coltma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coltma said:

After my lens returned to the 7Art, they replied that the bokeh problem I described was an "optical design style." The goal is to sacrifice bokeh rendering to reduce the purple fringing at the focus point. They call this a normal phenomenon, not a QC problem. And kindly send back a new one to me. Hmmm...Yes, the same problem.

This is a typical busy bokeh rendering brought by overcorrected spherical aberration. You found a "bright core" in the background bokeh. As the focus moves away, the bokeh spot will gradually become large, dim and even, making it progressively more difficult to detect.

For your understanding, just finished another test. A crop of my LED panel at 1.2m away. Notice the focus distance I marked.

This is what it looks like in the actual photo, some street lights at 500m away. 100% cropped:

But this does cause confusion in use. Be careful to avoid strong point light sources or strong textures in the background, especially before and after the focus point.

Finally, boring part is over. Please continue to love it. This lens is really special.;)

do you mean the color in boken was the problem?

I have one question, maybe someone can answer:

I adjusted the focusing and its so far really good for my typical shooting (mostly portraits). But I checked infinity focusing and the RF Patch goes a bit to wide. 

If I now start again to adjust at the ring this would mean my otherwise “perfect” setting will be gone, or do I misinterpret this? I just cant understand how I can set two different settings with adjustments in the same ring...

Edited by humerc

My 75mm 7artisans lens is blocked at the DHL customs clearance office in Leipzig. 
I bought the lens on Amazon Germany but although it says that VAT (Ust) is included in the price, DHL wants proof of the content of the package and its price.

Curious to find out who will be paying the VAT! 

I have informed  the Chinese seller, letters see what comes out of this 😞

John

8 hours ago, jaeger said:

do you mean the color in boken was the problem?

Not only the color edges. See the spherical aberration part:

• Like 2

Too much hassle to deal with 

15 hours ago, Coltma said:

Finally, boring part is over. Please continue to love it. This lens is really special.';)

You're absolutely right when you say, "Since it is so cheap at 75/1.25 grade, I can really understand it's compromise."   However IMHO it's too much hassle to deal with, I'm pleased I purchased the Voigtlander 75mm f1.5, albeit at double the price of this lens.

Best,

Mike

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Coltma said:

You are right.

I could easily reproduce the issue today when taking pictures of kids in the water. Below is a heavy crop (I won't post the full image for privacy reasons) of an unprocessed picture taken at full aperture. It shows what happens when part of the image is only slightly out of focus and there are strong highlights (in this case, reflections from droplets of water).

Indeed, at under 500 USD something's gotta give...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...