Leica M10 to M10-P Conversion

budjames

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 19 Minuten schrieb budjames:

Or wait for the new SL2 to see if it uses a new higher resolution sensor. 

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

+1. The SL2 will be slightly bigger and heavier, though, but ‘less brutal’ according to Dr. Kaufmann. 

I've been shooting with my "new" M10-P this morning to test it out. Focus is accurate throughout the focus range for my APO Summicron 50. 

One thing that I noticed when checking out the DNG files in Capture One Pro is that the image file metadata show the camera model as "Leica M10-P". I didn't expect that, but it's a happy surprise. The serial number remains the same.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

+1. The SL2 will be slightly bigger and heavier, though, but ‘less brutal’ according to Dr. Kaufmann. 

Do you mean that the SL2 will be "bigger and heavier" than the current SL? The current SL is already too big and heavy for what it does for me.

Regards,
Bud James

vor 49 Minuten schrieb budjames:

Do you mean that the SL2 will be "bigger and heavier" than the current SL? The current SL is already too big and heavy for what it does for me.

Regards,
Bud James

No, I mean bigger and heavier than the M10. Slightly wider but not materially so than the SL to fit IBIS. Jono and Thorsten Overgaard assume it will come with the 47 MPx S1R/Q2 sensor. Therefore, I’d say at this point, this is a fair bet. But it takes time to come up with a solution to make that sensor work well all kinds of wide and legacy M and R lenses, I guess.

At this point, I stopped caring what sensor the SL2 will sport. Everybody cooks their RAW files anyway and the better the algorithms, the better the ‘sensor’s performance.’ 😁 I’d say Sony and Panasonic use the most clever algorithms. It’s impressive how much better the S1R performs than the Q2 in the DxOMark charts even though it’s essentially the same sensor. 😂

vor 51 Minuten schrieb budjames:

I've been shooting with my "new" M10-P this morning to test it out. Focus is accurate throughout the focus range for my APO Summicron 50.

BTW, I think the M10-P goes well with the 28 Summilux-M wide open. You should try it. It’s about time you went a bit wide. 😁

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

No, I mean bigger and heavier than the M10. Slightly wider but not materially so than the SL to fit IBIS. Jono and Thorsten Overgaard assume it will come with the 47 MPx S1R/Q2 sensor. Therefore, I’d say at this point, this is a fair bet. But it takes time to come up with a solution to make that sensor work well all kinds of wide and legacy M and R lenses, I guess.

At this point, I stopped caring what sensor the SL2 will sport. Everybody cooks their RAW files anyway and the better the algorithms, the better the ‘sensor’s performance.’ 😁 I’d say Sony and Panasonic use the most clever algorithms. It’s impressive how much better the S1R performs than the Q2 in the DxOMark charts even though it’s essentially the same sensor. 😂

BTW, I think the M10-P goes well with the 28 Summilux-M wide open. You should try it. It’s about time you went a bit wide. 😁

My go to lens is the Summilux 35. I own the Summicron 28, but I don’t use it much.

Regards,

Bud James

vor 35 Minuten schrieb budjames:

My go to lens is the Summilux 35. I own the Summicron 28, but I don’t use it much.

Regards,

Bud James

I know what you mean. 28 mm and wider is more of a challenge I find, too. I often practice, therefore. Check out my fine art photos with the 28 Summilux-M wide open taken today in this thread in #45, for example, https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/299462-show-us-your-summilux-m-28mm-f14-asph-wide-open-shots/page/3/?tab=comments&_fromLogout=1&_fromLogin=1, or the less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-8n9f5D/. I'll post more. 😀

Am 27.7.2019 um 15:00 schrieb Chaemono:

The SL2 will be pretty accurately have 47.2mp. It’s basically a Panasonic camera. Should be released at the end of this year. 

2 hours ago, Cronilux said:

The SL2 will be pretty accurately have 47.2mp. It’s basically a Panasonic camera. Should be released at the end of this year. 

Is the Nikon Z series basically a Sony A camera (Nikon uses a Sony sensor)? The answer is no.

The SL is designed and manufactured in Germany. Sure, they may share a sensor but that hardly makes it "basically a Panasonic camera." 

And, you are purely guessing anyway.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Cronilux:

Why am I seeing this ad insert? I thought logging in as a premium member activates the banner filter. 

Edited by Chaemono

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Chaemono:

Why am I seeing this ad insert? I thought logging in as a premium member activates the banner filter. 

Hey my friend, don’t hold your breath, but I am quite sure I have seen you post numerous comments about Sony cameras. My comment is just an opinion. Nothing to worry about. 

On 7/27/2019 at 6:28 AM, dkmoore said:

Bud, I have a recommendation. You can sell your M10 on eBay or try other forums for approximately $5k. 

Then you can buy a brand new M10P from Popflash for $7100 (brand new). 

Selling the camera will take 5-10 days max and have the new camera over night shipped to you once the other is sold. 

You save $1k and 7 weeks. 

Unfortunately, EBay and PayPal fees will take a big bite (about 13% I think) out of this if you sell there...

1 hour ago, mdemeyer said:

Unfortunately, EBay and PayPal fees will take a big bite (about 13% I think) out of this if you sell there...

Sign up for a store ($27) and the max eBay fee is $250.00. Sell camera and cancel store.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got my converted M10 back from Customer Care a few days ago ... and noticed some strange metadata issues.

First—my converted M10 still identifies itself as "LEICA M10", both in the engraving on the hot shoe as well as in the EXIF data, not "LEICA M10-P" as reported by other owners. A Leica technician told me that internally, a converted M10 was still considered an M10, not M10-P. So I wasn't surprised—until I learned that other persons' converted M10 cameras do identify themselves as "M10-P" in the metadata. Huh!? What gives?

Second—my converted M10 now refuses to record the estimated aperture values in the metadata, as the M10 originally used to do until a firmware update cured that issue. My M10 had firmware version 2.6.5.0 before the conversion and did record aperture values. Now it sports firmware version 2.6.5.1 and doesn't record apertures values any more. How aggravating! Does anyone else's converted M10 record aperture metadata?

5 hours ago, 01af said:

Got my converted M10 back from Customer Care a few days ago ... and noticed some strange metadata issues.

First—my converted M10 still identifies itself as "LEICA M10", both in the engraving on the hot shoe as well as in the EXIF data, not "LEICA M10-P" as reported by other owners. A Leica technician told me that internally, a converted M10 was still considered an M10, not M10-P. So I wasn't surprised—until I learned that other persons' converted M10 cameras do identify themselves as "M10-P" in the metadata. Huh!? What gives?

Second—my converted M10 now refuses to record the estimated aperture values in the metadata, as the M10 originally used to do until a firmware update cured that issue. My M10 had firmware version 2.6.5.0 before the conversion and did record aperture values. Now it sports firmware version 2.6.5.1 and doesn't record apertures values any more. How aggravating! Does anyone else's converted M10 record aperture metadata?

My converted M10 shows M10-P and the estimated aperture in the metadata.

Regards,

Bud James

Regarding the estimated aperture in the metadata: For some reason leica only stores the EXIF field:

0x9202 ApertureValue unsigned rational 1 The actual aperture value of lens when the image was taken. To convert this value to ordinary F-number(F-stop), calculate this value's power of root 2 (=1.4142). For example, if value is '5', F-number is 1.4142^5 = F5.6.

some programs however use:

0x829d FNumber unsigned rational 1 The actual F-number(F-stop) of lens when the image was taken.

If you import the file in photoshop/lightroom and save it again, the missing exif is stored as well. Not sure why leica does this. They should store both values. This could be fixed in a firmware update.

Storing only one of the fields causes problems with applications that only read the other field. For example flickr does not show the aperture when importing photos taken with the camera.

11 minutes ago, helohe said:

Regarding the estimated aperture in the metadata: For some reason leica only stores the EXIF field:

0x9202 ApertureValue unsigned rational 1 The actual aperture value of lens when the image was taken. To convert this value to ordinary F-number(F-stop), calculate this value's power of root 2 (=1.4142). For example, if value is '5', F-number is 1.4142^5 = F5.6.

some programs however use:

0x829d FNumber unsigned rational 1 The actual F-number(F-stop) of lens when the image was taken.

If you import the file in photoshop/lightroom and save it again, the missing exif is stored as well. Not sure why leica does this. They should store both values. This could be fixed in a firmware update.

Storing only one of the fields causes problems with applications that only read the other field. For example flickr does not show the aperture when importing photos taken with the camera.

You know the aperture value shown on any Leica M camera is a guess by the camera’s computer right?

There is no way for a Leica M lens to tell the camera what f stop was used.