Leica M10 to M10-P Conversion

budjames

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All logical arguments presented here. However, if we were acting logically, we probably would't be buying Leica in the first place. 😂

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 2

I beg to differ. MF Cameras existed ever since photography began. Everyone searched for the best lenses because anyone could make an image using a pin hole in a cardboard box.

Leitz made the best lenses. The best photographers in the history of photography have used Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Hasselblad and Leica. Since the late 1970s almost all manufacturers have changed to AF. However some of the best photos every taken were in the 1930s to 1960s. AF wasn't an option then. 

Before D-Day the British stereo cameras loaded into Mosquito and Spitfire reconnaissance aircraft enabled pin-point recognition and accuracy of targets. Much of that was based on using  the lens technology developed by the, at the time, enemy. Leitz and Zeiss were world leaders and still are. The allied forces used copies.

From the 1960s onward Japanese firms have dominated the market. They are price-competitive for many reasons but I suggest mainly because they use machines rather than humans to make their lenses.

Price isn't everything. What is expensive for one is a work of art for another. What is cheap can be seen as a trifle by another. Quality is what matters more than anything for me.

As someone once said, "I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy." I'd rather have one good bottle of the best wine from Portugal than a two bottles of cheap wine from Sardinia. Apologies to the vignerons of Sardinia but you will never beat the best.

Well, here’s the thing.  When the M10 was released, it was near perfection for the M camera.  But we all knew there would be a P version coming along in a year or two.

When the M11 is released, get your head around it, read what the early adopters are finding, and wait for the M11-P, D (if there is one), M (there will probably be one), DM ( there won’t be one) or E (there won’t be one of those either).  Or just buy the one you like and be happy.  There was an entire thread somewhere of shutter noise comparisons.  My Monochrom still takes pictures as beautiful as the day I bought it.  And it still has the M9 shutter, clicking and woring away.  Lovely.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pico said:

A lesson to learn? Every time I decline to be suckered into investment possibilities I win. Same with gambling. Patience is rewarded.

I watch the day traders with the same sympathy I have with habituated gamblers. It is sad. Day traders have personal significant re$our$ses invested in so-called smart investment tools piped into their homes, but delayed by a measure thousands of times behind real market action. And they have not the $ to influence the market.

Ride the wave of modest appreciation, be patient and happy.

Edited by pico

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else sent in their M10 for the M10-P conversion? If so, please share your experiences.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just heard from the Leica service center in Avondale, NJ. My "converted" M10 is due back from Germany at their office tomorrow. They will ship it to me the same day, so I should get my camera back this Thursday! Woohoo!

Regards,
Bud James

• Like 2

I received my “M10-P” today. So far, it’s awesome.

i’m going to give it a workout this weekend.

Regards,

Bud James

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chaemono said:

How’s the sound, Bud?

OMG. Soooo quiet and that's with the camera up in my face as I use it.

I have a second M10. I used to think that the M10 was quiet. Now my M10 is "loud". I might send it in for conversion later this year.

The new touch screen with electronic level is nice too. I can change the metering position by just touching the screen in live view mode instead of having to use the 4-way controller.

I do miss the Leica red dot though.

Here are a few photos.

Regards,
Bud James

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by budjames
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very nice Bud. Thanks for the follow up posts and fotos. I would miss the red dot too! But okay you've plenty of other nice upgrades to keep your mind off of that and your back up M10 still sports the dot too. Hows that touch screen for scrolling images ? Can pinch in to zoom? 

All in, what is the total USD price for the conversion plus shipping /insurance etc if I may ask?  Please PM if you don't want to post publicly. Also, maybe you answered this already did they return your old M10 parts? Also what was the total number of days from when you shipped and received completed?

Edited by LBJ2

1 hour ago, LBJ2 said:

Very nice Bud. Thanks for the follow up posts and fotos. I would miss the red dot too! But okay you've plenty of other nice upgrades to keep your mind off of that and your back up M10 still sports the dot too. Hows that touch screen for scrolling images ? Can pinch in to zoom? 

All in, what is the total USD price for the conversion plus shipping /insurance etc if I may ask?  Please PM if you don't want to post publicly. Also, maybe you answered this already did they return your old M10 parts? Also what was the total number of days from when you shipped and received completed?

I can use the touch screen to move around the frame, zoom in/out and flip to the next image. I can also pinch to see multiple images at one time. Very cool!

The total cost of the conversion was $2,995. I paid about $45 to ship the camera in with insurance via UPS ground which is one day to the service center. They ship it to Germany. The factory shipped the completed camera to the service center. They shipped it to me and waived the $35 shipping fee. Other than the length of time without the camera, the whole process was very smooth with good communication with the NJ service center.

I shipped the camera to the NJ service center on 5/24. I receive it back yesterday, 7/25. So, one day short of 9 weeks.

Regards,
Bud James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb budjames:

OMG. Soooo quiet and that's with the camera up in my face as I use it.

I have a second M10. I used to think that the M10 was quiet. Now my M10 is "loud". I might send it in for conversion later this year. 

Thanks for the follow up, Bud. I told you so. You’ll have to amend your principle, too: “Pay twice, cry twice.” 😁

BTW, I always cover the red dot with black tape anyway. 

1 hour ago, helohe said:

@budjames I also just received my upgraded M10-P today. I have a quick question. Did they replace your hot-shoe cover with a metal one as there is on the M10P? In mine I still have a plastic one.

It was plastic.

Regards,
Bud James

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

Thanks for the follow up, Bud. I told you so. You’ll have to amend your principle, too: “Pay twice, cry twice.” 😁

BTW, I always cover the red dot with black tape anyway. 

I'm still crying from the original Leica M10 purchase. Just when I stopped, I bought a second M10 and started crying again. LOL!

Regards,
Bud James

Bud, I have a recommendation. You can sell your M10 on eBay or try other forums for approximately $5k. 

Then you can buy a brand new M10P from Popflash for $7100 (brand new). 

Selling the camera will take 5-10 days max and have the new camera over night shipped to you once the other is sold. 

You save $1k and 7 weeks. 

Edited by dkmoore
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, budjames said:

I do miss the Leica red dot though.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Also missing is the engraving on the hot shoe identifying it as an "M10-P"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, dkmoore said:

Bud, I have a recommendation. You can sell your M10 on eBay or try other forums for approximately $5k. 

Then you can buy a brand new M10P from Popflash for $7100 (brand new). 

Selling the camera will take 5-10 days max and have the new camera over night shipped to you once the other is sold. 

You save $1k and 7 weeks. 

I considered trading in my M10 to buy the M10-P, but as I mentioned in my original post, the small ding in the top plate would knock about $500 off of the trade in value. The repair estimate to replace the top plate and recalibrate the rangefinder was about $1,000. That's why I sent this body in for the full conversion.

If I get the itch to update my 2nd M10, I might consider your suggestion. Or wait for the new SL2 to see if it uses a new higher resolution sensor. 

Regards,
Bud James