Leica M10 to M10-P Conversion

budjames

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

The conversion price is a tough one for sure. I’ve been looking up one side and down the other to justify. Even put together my own scenario based proforma. LOL. If I were not so happy with my M10 I might actually worry about it. 🤪 

I'm very happy with my 2 M10s. If it wasn't for the ding in the top cover, I would not have considered the conversion either.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 1

I used to lust after the engraved top plate. I had M6s back in the 90s and wanted an M4 (I now have both). Now after owning virtually all of the Ms at one time or another, I have come to really prefer the clean look of my M10s (with black dots). Monochromes are awesome!. I have even come to love the look of my black M6 and it's red dot.

7 hours ago, budjames said:

I'm very happy with my 2 M10s. If it wasn't for the ding in the top cover, I would not have considered the conversion either.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

The ding on the top requiring a 1,000 repair, might be the decision maker for me too. I am sure you will be happy with your decision in the end.

6 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

The ding on the top requiring a 1,000 repair, might be the decision maker for me too. I am sure you will be happy with your decision in the end.

Tomorrow, UPS delivers my M10 to the Leica NJ service center. They forward it to Germany for the upgrade. The countdown is on.

Regards,
Bud James

• Like 1

I was curious about this so I just called Leica in NJ.  The full upgrade, which includes the new shutter, is $3,999.  However, they have a partial upgrade for $1,300 that includes new top plate, touch screen, spirit level and the 12 month warranty - but not the new shutter.  So this could be an option, Bud, if you don't need/want the quieter shutter.

4 minutes ago, Likaleica said:

I was curious about this so I just called Leica in NJ.  The full upgrade, which includes the new shutter, is $3,999.  However, they have a partial upgrade for $1,300 that includes new top plate, touch screen, spirit level and the 12 month warranty - but not the new shutter.  So this could be an option, Bud, if you don't need/want the quieter shutter.

I’d keep calling Leica NJ until I got the same person who quoted $2995 to Bud, as noted in the first post.

Jeff

• Like 1

I received an email today from the Leica Service Center in NJ that they received my M10. Next stop, Wetzlar Germany. Woohoo!

Regards,
Bud James

13 hours ago, Likaleica said:

….so if Leica ever offered just a shutter upgrade (which I would love to have!) it would presumably cost $2,699 which seems incredibly high.

11 hours ago, hemlock said:

….so if Leica ever offered just a shutter upgrade (which I would love to have!) it would presumably cost $2,699 which seems incredibly high.

which is the problem.  Personally, I really don't need the spirit level or touch screen, and I can go either way regarding the new top plate.  The updated shutter, however, is of great interest to me since I'm one of those folks who does shoot in churches where, at times, the M10 shutter can get you some "looks". As a result, the current pricing scheme means all or nothing---or pursue the sale and repurchase route.  Still, I'm quite happy that the upgrade route is available!

11 hours ago, hemlock said:

No, take off about $1000, as the full upgrade is $2995, as discussed above. But estimating costs this way can be misleading, depending on actual requirements.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I just had the small upgrade done last week while in Wetzlar. Leica Customer Care was outstanding. I turned in the camera 8 AM Monday morning and the repair was completed by Thursday afternoon. I had contacted them ahead of time, so they were expecting me.

Can't comment on whether the "small" upgrade is worth it to everyone, but it was for me. I really missed not having the in-camera level for architectural photography and the touch screen is great. Engraved top-plate was icing on the cake. I could not justify the full upgrade financially. I had an M10-P loaner while my M10 was in for the upgrade, and while it is noticeably quieter, the regular M10 is no slouch either.

I asked Stefan Daniel why the full upgrade is so expensive, and his reply was that the shutter modules are different in the M10 and the P, so that is a big part of the expense. I asked to have my old top cover returned which they did for me. Another person in my group had the small conversion done as well and they returned his top cover as well. Make sure you request this when you turn the camera in for service as this may not be done automatically! They completely checked the camera and added another year to the warranty as well. I was having an issue with my M10 not recognizing my 24/3.8 Elmar-M. No matter what I did, from cleaning the sensor on the body mount, cleaning the "pits" on the lens mount, etc., nothing worked which was very frustrating. Now it works like a charm!

I have been inside many M cameras when doing minor repair work, but never the M10. I had no idea that the ISO dial, shutter speed dial and on/off switch shutter release are self-contained modules affixed to the top cover. The whole top cover is connected to the rest of the camera via a ribbon cable and terminal. Very cool. I'll post up a picture of it when I have a chance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, derleicaman said:

I asked Stefan Daniel why the full upgrade is so expensive, and his reply was that the shutter modules are different in the M10 and the P, so that is a big part of the expense. 

Exactly what I meant by my preceding post.... it helps to know ‘actual requirements’.

25 minutes ago, derleicaman said:

I have been inside many M cameras when doing minor repair work, but never the M10. I had no idea that the ISO dial, shutter speed dial and on/off switch shutter release are self-contained modules affixed to the top cover. The whole top cover is connected to the rest of the camera via a ribbon cable and terminal. Very cool. I'll post up a picture of it when I have a chance.

Very interesting.  We could also use a Mark Norton type anatomy post on the M10!

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

vor 32 Minuten schrieb derleicaman:

I could not justify the full upgrade financially.

Think about it this way, the M10-P will have between $ 1,000 to $ 1,500 higher resell value. So the upgrade only cost about half of what you paid. 😁

vor 32 Minuten schrieb derleicaman:

I asked to have my old top cover returned which they did for me. Another person in my group had the small conversion done as well and they returned his top cover as well. Make sure you request this when you turn the camera in for service as this may not be done automatically!

Bud’s top cover has a ding from when his camera flew off the backseat of his car during a breaking manœuvre. So there’s no point.

vor 35 Minuten schrieb derleicaman:

I asked Stefan Daniel why the full upgrade is so expensive, and his reply was that the shutter modules are different in the M10 and the P, so that is a big part of the expense.

Did you ask him anything else, like when the SL2 would be released maybe, or what sensor it would use? 😁