Leica M10 to M10-P Conversion

budjames

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received an email reply from the Leica service center in Allendale, NJ regarding the M10 to M10 P conversion program.

The full conversion cost is $2,995, not the $3,995 mentioned on Leica Rumors. The conversion takes 4-6 weeks and is done at the Wetzlar factory in Germany. The NJ service center accepts the shipments for the program and they ship it to Germany.

Some how I dinged the top plate of my M10. The repair quote to replace the top plate was $1,000. The economics of trading in my M10 with the ding for a new M10 P was less favorable to me than having my M10 converted and getting a new top plate as part of the conversion.

I shipped my M10 to the Leica service center today for the full conversion. From my home, UPS Ground will deliver my camera to the NJ repair center on on Tuesday as the center will be closed for the Memorial Day holiday on Monday. 

If the estimated time for the conversion is accurate, I should get my "new" M10 P back around mid July. I have a second M10, so I won't be out of Leica shooting before the return arrives. Now, I'm counting down the days. Woohoo!

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

10 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Leica Rumors shows $2995, following official confirmation...

https://leicarumors.com/2019/05/22/us-pricing-for-the-leica-m10-to-m10-p-upgrade-program.aspx/

Jeff

Cool! Two points of confirmation. That's a good thing.

TikTok!

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

5 hours ago, Gavbo said:

Was wondering what force does it take to ding the top plate?

I had my camera laying on the back seat of my car and had to stop suddenly. The camera rolled off the seat onto the floor. I think that I t must have hit a seat bracket underneath the front seat. 

Other than the ding, the camera works fine. I guess it now has "character".

Regards,
Bud James

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 54 Minuten schrieb budjames:

I had my camera laying on the back seat of my car and had to stop suddenly. The camera rolled off the seat onto the floor. I think that I t must have hit a seat bracket underneath the front seat. 

OT: To avoid that - I also like to keep my camera on the back seat - I turn the strap into 3-4 windings and attach with the seatbelt - no chance to fly around....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

OT: To avoid that - I also like to keep my camera on the back seat - I turn the strap into 3-4 windings and attach with the seatbelt - no chance to fly around....

Since my incident, when I have a camera without a bag I place it on the floor behind the driver's seat and wrap it in a towel.

Regards,
Bud James

• Like 2

Treat everything in a moving vehicle that isn't fastened as something that could potentially either get broken or hit and and injure any of the occupants. For example, a dog weighing 20 kg sitting on the back seat could hit you at high speed if you have to brake suddenly. If you would not want a Leica M, plus lens, to hit you at e.g. 90 kmh then place it under the seat, in the boot, or held down with a seat belt threaded through the camera strap. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Kilmister said:

Treat everything in a moving vehicle that isn't fastened as something that could potentially either get broken or hit and and injure any of the occupants. For example, a dog weighing 20 kg sitting on the back seat could hit you at high speed if you have to brake suddenly. If you would not want a Leica M, plus lens, to hit you at e.g. 90 kmh then place it under the seat, in the boot, or held down with a seat belt threaded through the camera strap. 

In the UK it is mandatory to secure dogs in a moving car (harness connected to seat belt), perhaps this should be extended to Leica M10s? 😊

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Matlock said:

In the UK it is mandatory to secure dogs in a moving car (harness connected to seat belt), perhaps this should be extended to Leica M10s? 😊

Or drape it by the strap over a headrest. (Note that some cars' headrests are forced forward by the air bag sensor during a crash.)

2 hours ago, Matlock said:

For the price of an M10, I can buy 20 dogs. 😂

Before I get attacked by animal activists, our 15-1/2 year old Cocker Spaniel is priceless!

Regards,

Bud James

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

@Bud,

Does the full conversion cost include a CLA or overhaul that would return it to as new condition?  Or is it  just a parts upgrade? 

The camera can’t be more than 2 years old. What sort of CLA would you imagine it could possibly need? I imagine they’ll make sure the shutter speeds are correct and the RF calibrated. 

On 5/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, budjames said:

I just received an email reply from the Leica service center in Allendale, NJ regarding the M10 to M10 P conversion program.

The full conversion cost is $2,995, not the $3,995 mentioned on Leica Rumors. The conversion takes 4-6 weeks and is done at the Wetzlar factory in Germany. The NJ service center accepts the shipments for the program and they ship it to Germany.

Some how I dinged the top plate of my M10. The repair quote to replace the top plate was $1,000. The economics of trading in my M10 with the ding for a new M10 P was less favorable to me than having my M10 converted and getting a new top plate as part of the conversion.

I shipped my M10 to the Leica service center today for the full conversion. From my home, UPS Ground will deliver my camera to the NJ repair center on on Tuesday as the center will be closed for the Memorial Day holiday on Monday. 

If the estimated time for the conversion is accurate, I should get my "new" M10 P back around mid July. I have a second M10, so I won't be out of Leica shooting before the return arrives. Now, I'm counting down the days. Woohoo!

Regards,
Bud James

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Looking forward to reading about your adventure and comparison once you get your M10-P back. I've been thinking about the same. 

BTW, do you know if they keep or return the old parts? If you don't know you might want to ask as I am sure the old M10 parts are valuable.

4 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

Looking forward to reading about your adventure and comparison once you get your M10-P back. I've been thinking about the same. 

BTW, do you know if they keep or return the old parts? If you don't know you might want to ask as I am sure the old M10 parts are valuable.

I will ask.

Regards,

Bud James

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

@Bud,

Does the full conversion cost include a CLA or overhaul that would return it to factory spec new condition?  Or is it  just a parts upgrade? 

I was told that they will completely check all functions, recalibrate provide a one year guarantee, like new.

Regards,

Bud James

• Like 2

2 hours ago, james.liam said:

The camera can’t be more than 2 years old. What sort of CLA would you imagine it could possibly need? I imagine they’ll make sure the shutter speeds are correct and the RF calibrated. 

Oh, okay - didn't know that part.

2 hours ago, james.liam said:

Few would be - the M10 was only introduced in January 2017 ...