Limited Special Edition: Leica M Monochrom ‘Drifter’ by Kravitz Design

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Built to travel:
Leica Camera AG presents the Leica M Monochrom ‘Drifter’, a limited special edition by Kravitz Design.

Wetzlar, 23 May 2019. With the Leica M Monochrom ‘Drifter’ by Kravitz Design, Leica Camera AG presents the second special edition created in collaboration with the musician, designer and photographer Lenny Kravitz. Kravitz already worked with Leica on the design of the special edition of the M-P (Typ 240), which was launched in 2015. While the ‘Correspondent’ paid homage to his father, a war correspondent who brought home a battered Leica from his missions in Vietnam, the Leica M Monochrom ‘Drifter’ reflects the present day and the lifestyle of a cosmopolitan artist who travels the world and captures his experiences along the way in creative and impressive black-and-white photographs.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The ‘Drifter’ special edition offers everything photographers need on their travels in a stylish set. The set comprises a Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) camera in unique design, a matching carrying strap and two fast Leica lenses – a Summicron-M 28 mm f/2 ASPH. and an APO-Summicron-M 75 mm f/2 ASPH. These come complete with ‘The Drifter Traveler’, a bag in brown leather-look material that offers ample stowage space for the camera, the lenses and other travel utensils. The set also includes two lens cases and two leather-look pouches in vintage style for the camera and accessories. The Leica M Monochrom ‘Drifter’ by Kravitz Design Edition is strictly limited to 125 sets for the global market.

Technically identical to the serial production Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246), the camera of the ‘Drifter’ edition is distinguished by its unique design and finish. The camera body is finished in a special sepia-brown paint that can wear slightly in use and develop its own, individual character. Selected elements of the camera, such as the accessory shoe, the thumb wheel, the shutter release and the soft-release button are finished in brass without protective lacquer that develops an attractive patina in the course of time. The leather trim elements of the camera are in leatherette with a distinctive ‘synthetic python’ snakeskin look. Kravitz was made aware of this synthetic material by a close friend, fashion designer and animal rights activist Stella McCartney, who uses it for many of her own creations. The matching carrying strap made of woven fabric is coated with the same synthetic leather as the camera.

The two lenses of the set, a Summicron-M 28 mm f/2 ASPH. and an APO-Summicron-M 75 mm f/2 ASPH., are also finished in sepia-brown paint. In contrast to the serial production model of the 28 mm lens, the lens in the set features the same type of non-removable, twist-out lens hood as the 75 mm lens. The front rims of the lens caps and lens hoods are smoothly machined to reveal raw, uncoated brass as a special design feature.

Lenny Kravitz, born to an Afro-American mother and a Ukrainian-Jewish father in Brooklyn, New York in 1964, is not only a world famous musician, songwriter, producer and actor, but also an accomplished photographer. As a musician, Kravitz is a multi-instrumentalist who generally plays all instruments on his studio recordings and uses analogue recording technology to underline the retro-character of his rock songs. As a visual artist, he has celebrated enormous successes not only with his design studio Kravitz Design, but also established himself as an accomplished photographer who published ‘Flash’, a book of his black-and-white photographs, in 2015. ‘I love the quality of the Leica M Monochrom’ admits Kravitz, ‘black-and-white radiates a feeling that touches my heart. I tend to see things in black-and-white. To me, it seems more authentic and timeless. It has that special something.’

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The nonsense ruining Leica's reputation. I've simply an X Vario, but this kind of thing makes me almost embarrassed to use it. Thankfully normal people don't give a care to this kind of foolishness. Built for travel? Where, the Mall? 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What's the fuss? No one has to buy it. I'm sure that it doesn't detract from the mainstream R&D and production (what skills are needed to produce these special editions that are in short supply for 'normal' production?) And I'm sure Leica wouldn't do it if it didn't make them money - all good ROI on the M series. If you think it devalues your own camera, then I can suggest better investments. If you're just a photographer, just chill. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dean_G said:

The nonsense ruining Leica's reputation. I've simply an X Vario, but this kind of thing makes me almost embarrassed to use it. Thankfully normal people don't give a care to this kind of foolishness. Built for travel? Where, the Mall? 

I think the same too. This is tacky as best.

• Like 2

In my view, Limited Editions are the best way to keep the current Leica M line at "good price" (= acceptable price for most regular custumers ) .

Good way also to relay even more to keep an old model afloat for a while 😇.

• Like 3

I'm not against special editions - I just don't think Leica makes a good job of it.  This one is horrible; the previous M246 (Stealth) was a bit pointless.  I quite liked the Jim Marshall set and the premium wasn't too bad given the exclusivity (50) and the add-ons (book, limited edition print) but as someone remarked: why buy a camera with someone else's name engraved on the top plate?

Probably the best limited edition M246 was the Your Mark edition in black paint and a really lovely Horween leather covering.  Nice 35mm lens in black paint too, but this was not a Leica sponsored edition - just a collaboration between Leica Store SF and Horween Leather Co.  Perhaps the mothership should take note!

Edited by T25UFO
wrong word
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

In my view, Limited Editions are the best way to keep the current Leica M line at "good price" (= acceptable price for most regular custumers ) .

Good way also to relay even more to keep an old model afloat for a while 😇.

I agree! I don’t really understand why people get bent out of shape over something they aren’t going to buy. 

Also, if it’s going to fund R&D and help keep them afloat then I think that’s a good thing!

Edited by 3DPopStar
Spelling
  • Like 1

I really like the sepia finish, and brass accents, but, for personal use, would rather that the leather parts be brown. I see nothing wrong with fake snake, and like the overall look, as a visual artistic statement, even if I would not want to carry such a noticeable camera.

I really liked the Jim Marshall edition, too; much more than the Kravitz edition; probably enough to buy it, if I would have been able to justify spending the money.

I believe that these special editions help Leica’s economic health, so love that aspect. If these special editions help fund research and development, well, keep ‘em rolling-out the doors. I am perfectly happy to actually carry and use a plain Black Chrome Monochrom 246.

Edited by RexGig0

Utterly, completely hideous; and who are these Kravitz and Marshall people anyway? - they mean nothing to me. (Though probably that says more about me than it does about them.) I suppose at least it's not made of dead elephant......

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Musotographer said:

Utterly, completely hideous; and who are these Kravitz and Marshall people anyway? - they mean nothing to me. (Though probably that says more about me than it does about them.) I suppose at least it's not made of dead elephant......

Jim Marshall was a real Leica photographer.  He died in 2010.  NY Times obituary here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/arts/music/25marshall.html

Lenny Kravitz is . . . . well, Lenny Kravitz . . . .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Musotographer said:

Thank you; I don't find the rock and pop worlds very attractive, so that accounts for my not knowing about Jim Marshall. Not a good reason though for not knowing about someone who was clearly a distinguished photographer. 

See? Now you can thank Leica for introducing you to Jim Marshall😀

• Like 2

I also take the view that if it helps the overall ROI for Leica then why not ? 

I have to admit that I do really like the sepia brown finish with brass accents, though whether that quite works on the lens rim in the way that it's supposed to, I'm not sure.  (Ps. Why no brass round the eyepiece, which would have completed the look ?)...

The thing that I really like is that the sepia finish has been taken over to the lenses as well, which doesn't always happen with special editions.

Sadly I do hate the fake snake look, for me the colour combination and pattern just don't work (not only looks poor but says 'Louis Vuitton', not 'Drifter'), where something more subtle would have been stunning with the sepia and brass.

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 2

When I first saw it my immediate thought was that it was a Thorsten Overgard edition made from some almost extinct reptile skin and elephant skin bag/cases.

At least it's all synthetic but it still looks hideous to my eyes. I have no problem with special editions as a rule, but some of Leica's are a bit ridiculous let's be honest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1