Voigtländer 75mm f/1.5 Aspherical VM

jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, otto.f said:

Well that would be the day...

and it would be a paradox too. If the Voigtlander would be just as good or better than the 75lux, the prices for the Leica would drop considerably. This would mean that selling it will be a loss

"just as good or better" is subjective and will mean different things to different photographers so the bottom wouldn't necessarily drop out of the 75/1.4 Summilux market and an ensuing price drop wouldn't necessarily happen.  (For disclosure, I'd be happy if it did because I'd like to pick up a 75 Summilux at a reasonable price.)

Pete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, farnz said:

"just as good or better" is subjective and will mean different things to different photographers

Sure, I would challenge anyone to try to reproduce Mandler's lens "picturing ability" with an asph lens.

Good luck with that…

• Like 2

5 hours ago, farnz said:

"just as good or better" is subjective and will mean different things to different photographers so the bottom wouldn't necessarily drop out of the 75/1.4 Summilux market and an ensuing price drop wouldn't necessarily happen.  (For disclosure, I'd be happy if it did because I'd like to pick up a 75 Summilux at a reasonable price.)

Pete.

Yes, the name Leica will always have a certain price bottom I trust

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK review, but I don't understand how an objective evaluation can be made on a camera with a much thicker sensor stack which is not optimised for M lenses. Would it have been that difficult to use and M10 or M240 instead?

Ashwin Rao is working on a test of this lens on his M10-D, which I will have in the next issue of Viewfinder 52-3.

• Like 3

Thanks Njom!

One useful point for me from that review - short focus throw. On an RF, I find short throws with fast teles to be troublesome. Just too easy to blow past the focus point (as the reviewer notes) and the reason I moved on from the Summarit 75/90. A different dynamic than with EVF.

Another point, which may be good or may be bad, is that this lens doesn't seem to aim directly at being a Summilux or Summicron or Noctilux or Summarit - or even Cosina's own earlier 75s. It isn't "as sharp as" or "as soft as." Maybe that means its design goals were - confused. Or maybe it just means it is seeking a niche or balance of its own.

And against that is the nice price and the nice weight. I'm glad C/V gave it a whirl, and I look forward to trying one in person when I get the chance. I've found the f/1.8 version to be "better than reported" in actual use, once one gets to know its strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 2

If the new 75 is as good as the 35mm f1.7 Ultron VM, you won’t need to vex yourself worrying whether it’s trying to be a Summarit or Summilux. Being a Voigtlander VM will be more than good enough, but I do figure the short focus throw is going to make focusing closer at f1.5 challenging.

I'll also be interested in hearing if the 75 is as good as the 35/1.7 Ultron against the light, or more like the reflection-inducing 75mm f2 APO Summicron that spawns the effect below virtually any time it is pointed in the direction of the sun, and this is on the more pedestrian side of the effect the Summicron often produces. The higher in the sky the sun goes the worse the effect. If a lens is going to be able to shoot against the light AT ALL, it'll be when the sun is right on the horizon, but the 75mm f2 Summicron....well...

The 75mm ff 2.4 Summarit on the other hand (image below), at less money than the APO Summicron (new or used) but twice the cost of the Voigtlander 75mm f1.5, just works against the light. If landscapes that often include the sun is a favorite subject matter, the 35mm and 75mm f2.4 Summarits are the two Leica-branded lenses at those two focal lengths you want to be using, along with a 21mm f3.4 Super Elmar at the super-wide end.

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 3

On 8/7/2019 at 11:55 PM, otto.f said:

Well that would be the day...

and it would be a paradox too. If the Voigtlander would be just as good or better than the 75lux, the prices for the Leica would drop considerably. This would mean that selling it will be a loss

It looks like the 75/1.5 optical design is very similar to the 75 Lux. It has an added aspherical element at the back of the lens and one element sandwiched in the front.   If it’s anything like their update to the 8 element 35/2 Summicron, the 35/2 Ultron vintage, it’ll be def a very desirable lens.   I heard Cosinas owner sells Voigtlander as a personal pet project, committed to redesigning these classic lenses with aspherical additions and low Ed glass. 

Isnt the 50/1.2 Nokton a redesign of a classic 50 Noctilux? It’s one of my new fav 50mm.  It fills in nicely for a 50/.95 and the 50 Lux.  It is almost close to the smooth rendering the Noct, and sharp like the Lux at f2 and so on.  The glow at 1.2 really well done too. I actually sold my .95 and 50 Lux, and now just stick with a 50 APO and the 50/1.2 CV.  Blasphemy, I know! 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 5:19 AM, Jul said:

Sure, I would challenge anyone to try to reproduce Mandler's lens "picturing ability" with an asph lens.

Good luck with that…

The 75 Lux is one of my favorite lenses, so much that I’ve actually bought it twice over the past year lol!  I agree it’s a gem.  The deep colors and according to Putts: the gentle and unique tonal gradations, make it def special and one of my fav. 

But if you see my comparison on Pg. 1, the 75 Lux bokeh and OOF transitions are not as smooth as the 50/.95 (aspherical).  It’s also not as smooth as the Sony 85 GM (aspherical plus “extreme anamorphic” lenses, i.e. advanced molded aspherical elements ).  The 85 GM is smooth, I’ve read, because of the way spherical aberrations are kept in the lens design; somehow only in the OOF areas.  

Edited by NRKstudio
Edit

5 hours ago, NRKstudio said:

if you see my comparison on Pg. 1, the 75 Lux bokeh and OOF transitions are not as smooth as the 50/.95 (aspherical).

If you mean the post where you are comparing 1.4 vs 0.95 and on top of that different focus/background distance ratio (bigger for the Summilux with similar magnification), I'm not sure there is a point to be made from that. 

2 hours ago, Jul said:

If you mean the post where you are comparing 1.4 vs 0.95 and on top of that different focus/background distance ratio (bigger for the Summilux with similar magnification), I'm not sure there is a point to be made from that. 

Sure, it’s not a perfect test.  But it’s not really very difficult to connect the dots with that side by side test.  

Anyway, try them out one against the other (.95 Noct vs 75 Lux).  With the 75 lux, you will see more outlining of straight edges in the bokeh and some double images.  Both things I think make bokeh more “nervous or harsh”.  I’ll post another one tonight that’s a better comparison. 

Here’s a 3 pic test.  The first two are taken at the same distance from the subject (wide open).  The 3rd is taken to mimic the framing of the 50/.95 Noct, thus I had to move away further from the subject to maintain the framing.  It would mimic the distance of an upper body portrait shot.  Notice of course the 50/.95 blurs the background more at the same framing, as of course it’s closer to the subject and at 1.4.  Thus, even though you can get tighter shots with the 75 lux, you will obviously have to be closer to the subject for a upper body portrait, thus blurring the background more. 

Not a perfect test but hope y’all get the idea.  

1. 75/1.4 Summilux (same distance)

2. 50/.95 Noctilux (same distance)

3. 75/1.4 Summilux (further away to mimic framing)

All wide open of course.  All straight out of camera with no crop or edits, except the 50/.95 shot was brought down in exposure and highlights as I overexposed it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by NRKstudio
Edit
  • Like 1