Workaround for 60-second max exposure time?

eawriter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm doing long-exposure seascapes and landscapes with my Monochrom Typ 246 and often wish I could expose a frame for longer than a minute, especially on an overcast day while using a 10-stop ND filter. I'm already at base ISO of 320 (I know, not ideal for long-exposure photography) and f/16, so I can't do any more with those limiting factors. Does anyone know a way to keep the shutter open longer than the one-minute maximum I can get on the B setting using the self-timer? 

23 hours ago, eawriter said:

I'm doing long-exposure seascapes and landscapes with my Monochrom Typ 246 and often wish I could expose a frame for longer than a minute, especially on an overcast day while using a 10-stop ND filter. I'm already at base ISO of 320 (I know, not ideal for long-exposure photography) and f/16, so I can't do any more with those limiting factors. Does anyone know a way to keep the shutter open longer than the one-minute maximum I can get on the B setting using the self-timer? 

Can you not just use a locking cable release?

Unfortunately Leica sticks to fixed maximum length shutter speeds for all its cameras with no 'bulb' option for unlimited exposure length. 60 secs is the best you will get with most ...... and shorter at higher ISO's. There are no workarounds, dodges or tricks that can circumvent this. 

The exception is the SL with a timed maximum of 30 minutes....... but with a compulsory Noise Reduction Frame of the same length for all long exposures you will soon lose enthusiasm for anything beyond a few minutes. :rolleyes:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, fotografr said:

Can you stack another ND filter onto the 10 stop?

Thank you all for your responses.

The problem isn't that I can't get a good exposure with the 10-stop; I can, by increasing the ISO. But what I'm after is longer exposures that smear the clouds in the sky when there's wind and cause water to go glassy smooth, so it looks like a sheet of metal. I used to do these with my DSLR with exposures of a few minutes, but can't see a way to do them with the Monochrom. 

So yes, I could stack another ND filter (although then vignetting becomes a problem) or use a 16-stop, but that won't help me get an exposure longer than a minute. 

50 minutes ago, eawriter said:

Thank you all for your responses.

The problem isn't that I can't get a good exposure with the 10-stop; I can, by increasing the ISO. But what I'm after is longer exposures that smear the clouds in the sky when there's wind and cause water to go glassy smooth, so it looks like a sheet of metal. I used to do these with my DSLR with exposures of a few minutes, but can't see a way to do them with the Monochrom. 

So yes, I could stack another ND filter (although then vignetting becomes a problem) or use a 16-stop, but that won't help me get an exposure longer than a minute. 

Got it. I misunderstood the problem.

On 5/25/2019 at 4:03 PM, Eastgreenlander said:

You can 'image stack' in photoshop which is the same effect as one image with very long exposure. Do a search for it, quite easy to do. I've done this when I have forgotten ND filters or when it is too bright for a long exposure. 

Thank you. I'll look that up and try it. 

Am 26.5.2019 um 01:03 schrieb Eastgreenlander:

You can 'image stack' in photoshop which is the same effect as one image with very long exposure. Do a search for it, quite easy to do. I've done this when I have forgotten ND filters or when it is too bright for a long exposure. 

It's not the same because you have to learn a lot to do this. You have to learn how many images you need and what's the best offset between the single images. Otherwise you get a very unnatural look when blending them together. I think it works best if you blend together 2 or 3 shots that were already taken with an ND filter and a longer exposure. That's at least my experience.

On 5/28/2019 at 2:39 AM, tom.w.bn said:

It's not the same because you have to learn a lot to do this. You have to learn how many images you need and what's the best offset between the single images. Otherwise you get a very unnatural look when blending them together. I think it works best if you blend together 2 or 3 shots that were already taken with an ND filter and a longer exposure. That's at least my experience.

Thanks for the tip. I could try that approach; that is, I could take two or three shots with the longest exposures I can get with a 10-stop ND and blend them.