KenM

Will a firmware update help the Q2?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know that nearly everyone on this forum is more knowledgeable about Leica cameras than myself. I have a Q2 on order. 

Several reviewers have reported high ISO/low light issues with the new sensor. Do people think that these problems can be be rectified, or at least improved, in a future firmware update? Or is the camera stuck with them?

Or do the issues not really exist?

Edited by KenM

It is a bit like wishing for a square circle. High pixel count comes with less high-ISO performance. Some manufacturers apply in-camera noise reduction to high-ISO images or other digital tricks, Leica has always left that to the user. Result: Higher noise and better colours and resolution. There are cameras with smoother high-ISO OOC results, but if they are "better" is open to debate.

Having said that, users report quite good results up to ISO 12.500.  If that is not sufficient, it might be better to look for a camera with a lower pixel count, more geared towards extreme low-light photography.

But it makes me wonder, what are your subjects if ISO 12.500 with a Summilux does not suffice?

I think the Q2 is not quite on-par with, let's say a Nikon D850 or Z6, at least at pixel level. But compared with a Z6 photo at the same resolution, there is not much difference. In contrast, the noise pattern of the Q2 is much nicer than that of the Nikon. 

Bottom line: there is no such problem.

Still, it could be possible, that Leica could improve high ISO with a firmware update a little bit. Who knows?

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

But it makes me wonder, what are your subjects if ISO 12.500 with a Summilux does not suffice?

3 hours ago, 4peterse said:

Bottom line: there is no such problem.

Thanks for the persuasive comments. Very clearly put. I think I will just stop worrying about it and get the camera.

You won't regret it :)

14 hours ago, jaapv said:

It is a bit like wishing for a square circle. High pixel count comes with less high-ISO performance. Some manufacturers apply in-camera noise reduction to high-ISO images or other digital tricks, Leica has always left that to the user. Result: Higher noise and better colours and resolution. There are cameras with smoother high-ISO OOC results, but if they are "better" is open to debate.

Having said that, users report quite good results up to ISO 12.500.  If that is not sufficient, it might be better to look for a camera with a lower pixel count, more geared towards extreme low-light photography.

I'm not sure my Sony a7Riii agrees with the higher pixel count brings less high ISO performance. a7Riii vs a7R or a7. However, you have a good point about 12,500. Needing more ISO than that with a Summilux makes me scratch my head at the application.