tap360

Buy an M8 in 2019?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, farnz said:

To a degree I agree with you, Jeff, but while contrast can be adjusted, acutance can't because it's 'baked in'.  For example, increasing contrast will emphasise the light/dark transitions by making them starker but it can't improve the genuine resolution delivered by high acutance.

Pete.

There are many more possible software controls, global and local, than contrast.  I’ve made many prints, under many conditions, with the M8.2, M240, M Monochrom and M10 (besides many film Ms), and there are myriad variables that contribute to the final result. The camera is but one of those  variables, and not the most important in my experience. Viewers can’t distinguish, especially at my modest print sizes.  I can make superb... or crappy... prints with any M.

Jeff

Bought a pristine M8.2 after selling my M9 and M240 to focus on my DSLR kits. Missed the Leica experience and bought a new digital Cl which I enjoyed via the M adapter and the 24mp focus peaking--still that 10+ mp sensor and its CCD renderings kept calling me back. Liked the APS-c format of the CL, but the APS-h is really wonderful. The M8.2 I bought had less than 1700 clicks was a late model Chrome model and had zero blemishes....included a new Luigi half-case/strap, extra M8 battery and a Leica soft release button....total was $2,100 U.S.--Figure the accessories were valued at about $500 so I got it for about $1,600 net. The case folds down and the guerrilla glass has no coffee stains. The images are amazing and the newer lenses don't even cause much IR/purple shift on certain photos. I still use an Ir/UV cut filter as a precaution as well as protection.  The sheer simplicity of the menu and the "S" button come sin handy--in fact, my M8.2 even makes my 7artisans lenses look good, and less soft. Of course my Summarit and Summilux lenses are wonderful.

To me, Leica should never had abandoned the APS-h system--best of both worlds with great rendering. I apologize if I'm gushing over my 8.2 but I'm just so happy with it versus my Pentax K-1 high tech 36mp behemoth (which has a place for large reproductions and landscape work). 

Anyway--a loved, lightly used M8/8.2 is a winner in 2019 --and beyond !!!

On 6/15/2019 at 4:31 PM, Merv-O said:

Bought a pristine M8.2 after selling my M9 and M240 to focus on my DSLR kits. Missed the Leica experience and bought a new digital Cl which I enjoyed via the M adapter and the 24mp focus peaking--still that 10+ mp sensor and its CCD renderings kept calling me back. Liked the APS-c format of the CL, but the APS-h is really wonderful. The M8.2 I bought had less than 1700 clicks was a late model Chrome model and had zero blemishes....included a new Luigi half-case/strap, extra M8 battery and a Leica soft release button....total was $2,100 U.S.--Figure the accessories were valued at about $500 so I got it for about $1,600 net. The case folds down and the guerrilla glass has no coffee stains. The images are amazing and the newer lenses don't even cause much IR/purple shift on certain photos. I still use an Ir/UV cut filter as a precaution as well as protection.  The sheer simplicity of the menu and the "S" button come sin handy--in fact, my M8.2 even makes my 7artisans lenses look good, and less soft. Of course my Summarit and Summilux lenses are wonderful.

To me, Leica should never had abandoned the APS-h system--best of both worlds with great rendering. I apologize if I'm gushing over my 8.2 but I'm just so happy with it versus my Pentax K-1 high tech 36mp behemoth (which has a place for large reproductions and landscape work). 

Anyway--a loved, lightly used M8/8.2 is a winner in 2019 --and beyond !!!

Yey for a new M8 owner in 2019! 
I keep saying there's a huge market left untapped for newly made M8 cameras, literally, same components, 2k mark price.
I know it will never happen, too niche.

Hi I bought my M8 about 18 months ago.  It is my first Leica and I even though I have a few other more contemporary camers it has almost become my goto camera.  Recently I discovered a web site from back in 2013 where the site owner created software to allow users to exploit 14 bit RAW files from the M8.  The software he has on his site allows the RAW files to be processed and corrects for dead pixels and black levels.  Very good in my humble opinion.  I use Voigtlander lenses as I can't afford Leica.  I will post a link to the M8RAW2DNG web site or you can look it up.  

Regards

On 6/23/2019 at 3:20 PM, MaxSZ said:

Hi I bought my M8 about 18 months ago.  It is my first Leica and I even though I have a few other more contemporary camers it has almost become my goto camera.  Recently I discovered a web site from back in 2013 where the site owner created software to allow users to exploit 14 bit RAW files from the M8.  The software he has on his site allows the RAW files to be processed and corrects for dead pixels and black levels.  Very good in my humble opinion.  I use Voigtlander lenses as I can't afford Leica.  I will post a link to the M8RAW2DNG web site or you can look it up.  

Regards

Hi, MaxSZ, welcome to the forum!

Arvid (forum name "bla") wrote the code for M8RAW2DNG and started this thread in 2013.

Pete.