Brain is bleeding... CL, Q2 or another?

blackrice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Traveled through 100+ countries using only smartphone and (add-on) Moment lenses - meh. However, this year - when I hit Africa realized it just wasn't working. Wasn't able to capture the images I wanted even with post processing.

I'm kind of a believer that it's the photographer more than the equipment. So have been focused on composition, light, etc. Maybe that was partly just be being cheap or lazy (to carry around a camera). Also, I can capture a lot with a phone (socially invisible) compared with pointing a big camera at someone.

(my father - a professional photographer and loved Leica (film) would have disagreed - about the equipment part.

I lost trust in digital cameras 15yr ago when I had a series of Canons that would throw E2 lens errors and just die. So gave up on them. The iPhone cameras have become progressively.. good enough.. Until they're not.

I'm looking to buy either a CL or Q2 - and need some recommendations.

Mainly looking for small(ish) form factor (something I can carry with me daily while traveling), with wide format (but low profile) lens. For instance I use the 18mm Moment add-on lens all the time. Zoom isn't as crucial to start with - just want as wide of an image as I can get as I'm mainly taking photos of landscapes (Norway, Iceland, etc - and street scenes - not really portraits).

From what I understand:

• Q2 has image stabilization, water-resistant (a plus), and a fixed lens that will capture 'wide-format' - but it's significantly larger, (not going to fit in my oversized cargo side pocket)
  • CL is older, no image stabilization but smaller.. Not sure which lens to get with it. I see the TL 18mm and the 18mm F2.8 ELMARIT-TL Aspherical Pancake Lens, (and some others - this is greek to me).

With both I can get the bokeh effect missing from smartphone.

I'd like to get ONE camera that will last me 7-10 years, (that's how I can justify the initial investment) ;0

Would you choose the CL or Q2 (or something else)?

Appreciate any feedback.

Welcome. This question has been asked more often.  It depends on your anticipated use. The Q2 with its native 28 mm lens matches the use of your phone on a  higher level, but the CL will expand your photographic flexibility . 

If focal lenghtes between 28 and 50 mm are sufficient for your purposes, then take a Q2. Resolution at 28 mm is very high, at 35 mm still very good (higher than the CL) and at  50 mm in most cases sufficent. At 75 mm it is in my opinion to low. You see with exption of the native 28 mm the other focal lengthes like with a range finder, not filling the whole finder. If you need other focal lenghtes than this - than take the CL. Even with the standard zoom  18-56 mm - which equals to 27mm  to 84 mm on the Q2 you have more possiblities regarding focal length than with the Q2 and you can complete with other lenses. The finder allways shows the complete picture at any focal length filling the full finder.

• jaapv locked this topic
  • jaapv unlocked this topic
  • 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would suggest an M-E 240, Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH and a Summarit-M 50mm f/2.4.

I own both lenses and have found them to be truly excellent.  They are small, light, reasonably fast - and they don't cost $100,000 each. 

As for the M-E 240, the 240 platform is not the latest and greatest M camera that Leica offers, but it is still an extremely capable camera.  I'm still shooting with my M-P 240 and over the years have come to realize what a great camera it is.  It is a little thicker than the M10-P but not by much.  The increased battery life makes up for its stockiness.

It goes without saying that the M10-P has a top ISO of 50,000 and the nearly silent shutter - both of which would be great to have, but if you can live without those refinements you can save $4000 USD by going with the M-E 240. 

The M-E 240, 28 Elmarit and 50 Summarit can all be purchased new in the box with Leica warranties for the cost of one M10-P body.  That's a pretty compelling argument for this kit, if M prices are an issue. 

Edited by Herr Barnack