Lens caps -- what do you do with them while shooting?

EddieCheddar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all you SLers,

Simply question here...

What do you do with your lens cap while you are shooting?

Is it "strapped" to your lens, and dangling?
Do you shove it in your front pocket, back pocket, camera bag?
Do you put it back on the lens immediately, or do you leave it off while you roam around?
How about when you rest at a coffee shop or cafe -- does the lens cap stay on the lens, or off -- just in case?
Do any of your lens cap habits change based on whether you're using an "M" lens or an "SL" lens?

I use an SL camera, with M lens (mostly).
I used to just shove the lens cap in my pocket, and leave it off most of the time.
I recently tried a lens-cap strap, and just let the cap dangle -- it was okay, but a few people stopped me (when I wasn't actually shooting) to let me know that my lens cap was off -- so it was a bit more noticeable and awkward.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask on here in case some of you have some thoughts or suggestions.
I know this is a basic simple question, but I am a bit curious.

As always, thanks in advance -- much appreciated!

I was brought up on the idea that letting the sun shine on or through the lens could damage the camera.  

For film M cameras, with rubberised shutter curtains, I believe the sun shining through the lens can burn a hole in the shutter curtain.  So, I tend to use my lens caps with my M-A.  With the SL & TL2, there is no shutter curtain to protect the sensor, so I have been wondering if similar damage is possible - the lens caps on the L mount lenses are self ejecting, so I prefer to use the hoods (large as they are), and drop the lens cap into my camera bag.  I put them back on when I put the camera away.

For my digital M cameras, I take the caps off when I take the camera out of the bag, and drop the cap into the bag.  When I'm using a camera, I like to leave the cap in the bag, subject to the above.

28 minutes ago, EddieCheddar said:

What do you do with your lens cap while you are shooting?

Develop the habit of placing in a pocket. HABIT!  Also consider leaving it in your pocket all day. What is next in trivial concerns: how to wipe your a**?

Edited by pico
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

I was brought up on the idea that letting the sun shine on or through the lens could damage the camera.  

For film M cameras, with rubberised shutter curtains, I believe the sun shining through the lens can burn a hole in the shutter curtain.  So, I tend to use my lens caps with my M-A.  With the SL & TL2, there is no shutter curtain to protect the sensor, so I have been wondering if similar damage is possible - the lens caps on the L mount lenses are self ejecting, so I prefer to use the hoods (large as they are), and drop the lens cap into my camera bag.  I put them back on when I put the camera away.

For my digital M cameras, I take the caps off when I take the camera out of the bag, and drop the cap into the bag.  When I'm using a camera, I like to leave the cap in the bag, subject to the above.

on all my leica cameras i usually set the lens to f16 while walking around

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Most of the lenses in my bag are fitted with hoods & filters, and have no cap. I use a Billingham bag, so in those instances where a lens has a cap that needs to be stowed, I slip the cap into the gap between the case and its inner green liner.

A quick check of the side pockets of my camera bag shows that they already contain:

lens brush

lens cleaning cloth (for viewfinder/rangefinder windows)

spare charged battery (unlikely to be needed unless you forget to pack it)

spare SD card (in case I fill up the one in the camera)

Zoom finder for wide-angle lenses (essential for spectacle wearers)

Komura Telemore x2 converter (optional)

IR-blocking wrap-around sunglasses (essential for eyes that have had surgery)

Sundry medications (old age ain't for cissies)

Business cards

Mobile phone

So the last thing I want is to have lens caps rattling around among all that stuff...

Hello all,

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions on this.
I know this is a very minor, basic, issue, but I really had no idea that most folks just leave the cap at home, or shove it in their camera bag all day.
That's why I like this forum so much -- everyone shares their experiences, good and bad.

Thanks again!

29 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Well leaving them at home stopped me from losing them all over the landscape.

Yes, I reckon you’re talking about the latest rectangular rubber caps on 24Elmarit, 28Summicron, 35FLE, etc. These are notorious for falling off spontaneously. The other type, the round ones with a clamp as well as a thread, are much better. These are on for instance 50lux, 75lux and saa 90. I have never lost these ones. I always put them in my trouserpocket btw always the same side, left. 

Edited by otto.f

5 hours ago, EddieCheddar said:

Hello all,

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions on this.
I know this is a very minor, basic, issue, but I really had no idea that most folks just leave the cap at home, or shove it in their camera bag all day.
That's why I like this forum so much -- everyone shares their experiences, good and bad.

Thanks again!

Most of the folks posting here ...

Taking your lens cap off for each shot and then putting it on again is going a bit far, in my view - particularly with the hoods (provided you use them.  I don't like putting a lens into my bag without front and rear caps - too easy to put a finger print on the front element as I reach in the take a lens out.