Kodak Double X

james.liam

2 hours ago, james.liam said:

The FIlm Photography Project is selling rolls of it. Anyone have experience with this motion picture emulsion?

I think it's very nice. Price has gone up a good bit in the last few years. Originally developed for film duping, it has "lower contrast" but development can of course alter that. Will certainly have occasional chunks of gelatin in the emulsion, if you're scanning cloning tool is your friend, or re-sharpen your spotting skills. If you buy from FPP check that you're getting 36 exp. loads; I think they do much of their esoteric stuff at 24 exp. My purchase of a Ukrainian(sp?) emulsion, Svema, was 24. They're a great resource for the barbarous relic. Rangefinder Forum has a very long but benefical thread about Dbl-X. Formulas there too for Adox Borax MQ and its replenisher but D-76, HC-110 or almost anything should work. Pick the look you like. Just souped a roll today.

I have posted a few examples from the half a dozen rolls I have tried in the Film Forum, but if  you are looking for more examples then there are a couple of Flickr groups (as there are for lots of film types) dedicated to this film for example https://www.flickr.com/groups/656147@N20/.  I tried it in bulk form and found it nice, exposed at ISO 250 and stand developed in Rodinal 1:100.  I never experienced any greater problems with deposits than I have had with other film, but perhaps I was lucky.

Well worth a try.

Regards

I love Double-X and develop it in HC-110 or Diafine with good results. I like it also because it dries flat, as opposed to Tri-X, and that it has a contrasty look. And it can be pushed easily to EI800-1000.

I don't know how many rolls I have shot but it is a lot and i have never experienced any of the chunks of gelatin Stuart mentions but perhaps I've been lucky. I bought a 400ft (I think it was) roll from Kodak because that's A LOT cheaper than buying individual rolls.

Love double-XX as well, but I have had better luck in terms of quality control with the Cinestill packaging, which is available from Freestyle in LA. The Film Photo project is also only 24 or 26 exp and the Cinestill is 36 exp. My two-cents. But the film is really nice and pushes well too.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess it depends on the definition of high. Kodak lists the 400ft rolls at 317 CAD, which is is about 215 Euro, VAT, handling costs and shipping to be added. I've seen UK sellers with such rolls for about the same ex-VAT. It won't be 1,10 Euro per metre but still a world away from FPP's 6,99 USD or Cinestill's almost offensively expensive 9,99 USD per roll. True, a bulk loader for 20-30 Euro and a bunch of cassettes will be needed but it's well worth it to load oneself.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:41 PM, fotohuis said:

Kodak-XX is a good film, however the prices went high. A few years ago I could buy S/E for approx. Eur. 1,10/m. These times are over.

Kodak-XX E.I. 250-320 in HC-110 (B) is a good combination.

Thank you, S-A. I quoted the Canadian price list because it is slightly cheaper than the US, based on the current conversion rate to the Euro (if my math is right).

9 hours ago, semi-ambivalent said: