Small bag for the Q/Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Billingham?  Unfortunately, until next week I'll be 7,000 miles away from home, where the case is now living.  I can try to upload a photo when I return, provided I manage to remember in the fog of jet lag.  As for the Think Tank, the photos of the 72 earlier in this thread will give you a very good idea of the fit--the Q, in its Artisan and Artist half-case, is perfectly snug, and there is still room, in the various pockets and pouches, for an extra battery, an extra card, keys, my wallet, and mobile phone.  Oh, also the handy little rain cover that comes with the bag.

Thanks to everyone who recommended the Billingham 72 bag.

The Q fits with or without the hood. There is room for a filter and extra battery in the front pocket, and a little more if you don’t mind stretching it out a bit. The charger can fit in the front pocket of it’s all you put in there (with iPhone/iPad flip plug, not the cord), but it’s pretty tight. Comes with a divider inside that I removed — might come in handy some day if I use it for an X100-sized camera. The bag has a thick removable pad in the bottom — really well protected against drops. The optional leather strap pad is nice, makes the bag look and feel finished. Strap pad works best when the strap is let out to cross-body length so that the snap-leather attachments don’t have to fit over two of the strap layers.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the photos and the information provided. On the other hand, someone has tried the Billingham Galbin Binocular Case for the Q? It seems less bulky than the Billingham 72.. but I do not know if it fits well for the Q. I have no way of seeing it physically with what I would appreciate your comments.

6 minutes ago, kyeo said:

Thank you all for the photos and the information provided. On the other hand, someone has tried the Billingham Galbin Binocular Case for the Q? It seems less bulky than the Billingham 72.. but I do not know if it fits well for the Q. I have no way of seeing it physically with what I would appreciate your comments.

From the photos on the Billingham site, it looks like it would be too narrow.

The 72 really should have had the double leather belt straps used on the Galbin. The single canvas strap on the 72 is pretty much useless for attaching it to your belt. It’s too low, not enough support, and the bag flops outward.

Edited by hdmesa

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 2:27 AM, iRandom said:

Anyone know if the Peak Design EVERYDAY SLING 5L is big enough for the Q/Q2?

More than big enough. Love the Peak designs. Always used the ONA (which is also great) but the PEAK is even more compact

• 4 weeks later...

Walmart ($10 On sale)..(4yrs old, still going strong)

Edited by lykaman

I really like the small (ish) Domke Messenger F-803  This was a promo from B&H sometime ago, with one of the Fuji X bodies.  Not really very good for a DSLR/lenses, but perfect for a Q, batteries, charger, flash, etc.  Nice, water resistant canvas.  Under $150, should last a lifetime.  i have a old, large Domke bag that is well over 30 years old.

I have three bags that I like. For carrying the camera and accessories, + sunglasses, cellphone, chapstick etc. I like the ONA Bowery. For minimal carry with room for a extra battery, filters, small blower, the ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 10 and for travel my favorite ThinkTank Turnstile 5 which has lots of extra room and is slim profile (when people have to check backpacks, I walk right on by).  

I have both the Billingham 72 and Digital Hadley.  Both have a pocket for filters, batteries, cards.  The 72 is compact, but fits with LIM's, hood, and Op-tec cap.  The Hadley has room for a flash and the pocket has a snap closure.  I mostly use the 72.  On my last trip I just used a small Filson Small Field bag or a backpack depending on what I was up to.  The utility and versatility of the Filson bag is remarkable. 

Edited by bullmoon

On 7/20/2019 at 3:31 PM, Appmax said:

Anyone try the Billingham 72 with the Leica baseplate and finger grip?  Looks like it may be just a bit too small. 

I have the Leica case/protector on mine, and it fits with about 1/8 inch to spare, so I think it should fit. But if I had it to do over again, I’d get the Hadley Digital so I could fit the charger in there, too. Probably will end up owning both.

On 5/19/2019 at 5:31 AM, digitalstew said:

+1 for the ONA Bond Street. I have the dark blue waxed canvas version, which no longer seems to be available, but it’s perfect for the Q/Q2, a few extra batteries, and a filter or two.

+3 for this bag.  Works great with the Q2 with room for battery and for those long days out, a spare battery for the phone as well!

josh

• Like 1

I started with the Billingham 72 (displayed by another member) but found it too tight a fit. In addition, I did not care for the leather clasp for opening/closing the bag (hard to use). Also, I there's almost no room for anything else. The small pocket in front can't accommodate much without further restricting the interior space.  Too bad, as the quality of that bag, and cushioning, is superb.

I like the ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 20. It's light, not too large, and just large enough. With the divider properly placed, the Q2 (or Q) is easily put in or taken out.  The space on the other side of the divider holds my camera cleaning brushes and charger (with cord!). Also, I put a Peak Design Wrist strap inside this area, as sometimes I prefer to carry the camera attached to my wrist.

The outside front pocket easily accommodates extra chips, and even my small SD card USB device to transfer files to computer.  I use Sony TOUGH 32 GB high speed UHS-II SD cards.  I prefer 32 GB, in case of failure, I keep a spare, rather than having too many eggs in one basket.  I DO find, however, these cards, with a bit of a different physical design, are difficult to put in and remove from camera.

One side pocket holds the rain coat for the bag (I believe all Mirrorless Mover Think Tank bags have one). The raincoat really works!  The other side pocket holds my extra battery in a small waterproof plastic bag.

IN ADDITION, when the camera is in the bag, I place a microfiber cloth over the camera itself so I can fold the Peak Design Leash over the top of the cloth to keep the metal of the strap from touching the camera body. That way, the strap is INSIDE the bag, but easily taken out and put back in, with the camera.

ALSO, inside the top cover, a neat little storage area gives room for extra Peak Design connectors.

I also use the Art de Mano case, with SD card and battery compartment accommodated such that the case doesn't have to be removed.  I will say, though, the little cords on the Peak Design connector opens up one of the snaps on the case.

• Like 1

I just picked up one of these Leica Ettas Pouches.  It's the definition of snug, but does fit with the LIM's case and Optec hood - just.  Has magnets on the back to keep it closed.  I plan to use it as a pouch inside my Filson bag or backpack as a compact protector.  Using it otherwise would be...well...where would I put it while shooting if I were walking around town?

• Like 2