Leica X Vario @ 28mm vs. Prime P&S

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica X-Vario 28mm has f3.5 while the modern prime P&S with 28mm has f2.8 (such as Ricoh GRII and Fujifilm XF10). The difference is about a quarter stop.  

Ignoring the prime P&S portability and Leica X Vario extra focal length, anyone compared the IQ of the two at 28mm?  

Funny, I keep wanting to try out the GR3 for its form factor and pocketability, but know that the image quality won’t be that much better than the XV. In my opinion they are two cameras that serve different purposes; the GR has the highest image quality in such a small form factor while the XV is obviously larger with a zoom making it a better rounded camera, but certainly not pocketable. Each has their own uses and you really can’t go wrong here. Now the GR vs the X1, X2, or X is another story...

But to answer your question, I’ve owned the GR1 and 2 and find the XV comparable. The GR’s lack the AA filter and are a bit sharper, so Id imagine the GR3 is a step ahead as it’s a new sensor and lens. 

Edited by goatsby