DIY fix for Q-P (and Possibly Q) On/Off switch problems

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm on board with other forum members who find the Q-P "Main switch" (On/Off) to be a seriously flawed design. I bought the Q-P  thinking that the newly revised On/Off switch had solved the problem so evident with the Q. Unfortunately I find it worse than the Q. It's far too easy to switch into Continuous mode inadvertently. I also found that I was accidentally turning the camera on when I put it into its neoprene carrying case. Neither of these problems are befitting an ultra premium product.

I decided to experiment with a DIY solution. I purchased an assortment pack of silicone o-rings and carefully rotated one down over the On/Off switch. I then stretched the o-ring so that it is firmly seated underneath most of the On/Off switch. This inexpensive fix ($8 for a pack of 100 o-rings!) seems to have solved the problem. With the O-ring firmly seated under the On/Off switch there is sufficient resistance so that it takes a purposeful rotation of the On/Off switch to: 1) turn the camera On/Off and 2) transition from single to continuous mode. I've had this DIY fix in place for over a month and have not had any adverse issues or effects.

The beauty of this DIY is that it is fully reversible should you not like the "tactile feel" of the On/Off following the DIY remedy. It's a shame that a 5k high end camera is plagued by such a poorly thought out On/Off switch but at least this DIY offers an inexpensive fix. In the process I may have nudged the Q-P a little in the direction of water resistance since the silicone o-rings also act as a barrier to water intrusion:) 

As I do not own or have access to a Q, I cannot say whether this ready will be effective with the Q. 

Caveat: This DIY is at your own risk. In the month that I have used the o-ring I've encountered no issues, problems or mechanical failures of the On/Off switch. YMMV and the Leica warranty may not  cover any problems arising from the use of said device.

And now for the quasi-legal stuff- I share this idea with fellow members on the forum for their own use and enjoyment. I expressly reserve the rights to this idea and prohibit Leica and any other 3rd party manufacturers from manufacturing said device for commercial purposes. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2 hours ago, Matsaly said:

I'm on board with other forum members who find the Q-P "Main switch" (On/Off) to be a seriously flawed design. I bought the Q-P  thinking that the newly revised On/Off switch had solved the problem so evident with the Q. Unfortunately I find it worse than the Q. It's far too easy to switch into Continuous mode inadvertently. I also found that I was accidentally turning the camera on when I put it into its neoprene carrying case. Neither of these problems are befitting an ultra premium product.

I decided to experiment with a DIY solution. I purchased an assortment pack of silicone o-rings and carefully rotated one down over the On/Off switch. I then stretched the o-ring so that it is firmly seated underneath most of the On/Off switch. This inexpensive fix ($8 for a pack of 100 o-rings!) seems to have solved the problem. With the O-ring firmly seated under the On/Off switch there is sufficient resistance so that it takes a purposeful rotation of the On/Off switch to: 1) turn the camera On/Off and 2) transition from single to continuous mode. I've had this DIY fix in place for over a month and have not had any adverse issues or effects.

The beauty of this DIY is that it is fully reversible should you not like the "tactile feel" of the On/Off following the DIY remedy. It's a shame that a 5k high end camera is plagued by such a poorly thought out On/Off switch but at least this DIY offers an inexpensive fix. In the process I may have nudged the Q-P a little in the direction of water resistance since the silicone o-rings also act as a barrier to water intrusion:) 

As I do not own or have access to a Q, I cannot say whether this ready will be effective with the Q. 

Caveat: This DIY is at your own risk. In the month that I have used the o-ring I've encountered no issues, problems or mechanical failures of the On/Off switch. YMMV and the Leica warranty may not  cover any problems arising from the use of said device.

And now for the quasi-legal stuff- I share this idea with fellow members on the forum for their own use and enjoyment. I expressly reserve the rights to this idea and prohibit Leica and any other 3rd party manufacturers from manufacturing said device for commercial purposes. 

Looks brilliant and you even chose the right color o-ring. Nice! 

The photos don't do it justice. It's far more subtle looking in person.

While waiting on my Q2 the next step is goretex fabric to cover the microphone slots. Now..if only I could find an o-ring to seal the battery compartment perhaps I wouldn't need the Q2:)

21 minutes ago, Matsaly said:

The photos don't do it justice. It's far more subtle looking in person.

While waiting on my Q2 the next step is goretex fabric to cover the microphone slots. Now..if only I could find an o-ring to seal the battery compartment perhaps I wouldn't need the Q2:)

please post your results with the goretex

now if somebody could do something about that f'ng red video button.... (i thought i 'fixed' it and it apparently is an issue with me again) 

Edited by prk60091

2 hours ago, prk60091 said:

please post your results with the goretex

now if somebody could do something about that f'ng red video button.... (i thought i 'fixed' it and it apparently is an issue with me again) 

My results may not be timely. While I'm planning on covering the Q-P mic slots with goretex I am NOT rushing to test their effectiveness. 

All I'm trying to do is add a smidgen of protection I'm case I get caught in a mist or light rain while traveling.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought the following on Amazon. Litorange 580PCS Silicone 45A Universal Red O-Ring Sealing Gasket. I don't have the box in front of me but if I recall the 2nd to smallest O-Ring was the perfect size. 

I imagine you could use the smallest size O-Ring in that box set for a more "discreet" look, but I wanted part of the O-Ring to be visible (and ready accessible) if I wanted to remove it. 

13 hours ago, Matsaly said:

While I'm planning on covering the Q-P mic slots with goretex I am NOT rushing to test their effectiveness. 

I do not use my Q for video.  I covered the mike and speaker slots with some black gaffers tape several years ago, not for weather proofing as much as to keep out dust.  I bet it keeps moisture out, too.

Thanks Matsaly, appreciate the info. I had sent my Q-P back to Leica  in NJ to see if they could do anything to make it tighter and they told me mine was pretty tight after checking others they had in the warehouse. Where there's a will there's a way!! Best regards, Mitch

15 hours ago, Matsaly said:

Litorange 580PCS Silicone 45A Universal Red

These are not available on UK Amazon. Are you able to give an outside and inside measurement of the ring?

They don't give any sizes in the description. Amazon. 

Actually they do. Number 2 is what Matsaly said worked. I wouldn’t be surprised that any 5/16” silicon o-ring will work. Likely available in local hardware stores in much lower quantities. There’s probably a metric equivalent or close in size  

Edited by iQ2

On 5/17/2019 at 10:25 AM, 38wadcutter said:

That sounds like a great solution! What size O-ring works best? I'm on ebay looking right now and there are a great variety with metric sizes and I'd appreciate your input.  Many Thanks!

It's been over a month since I installed the O-Ring and I don't recall exactly which size was best. I had a look at the box of assorted O-rings I bought and think it is either a 1/2 inch outer diameter 3/8 inner diameter or the 5/8 O/D 3/8 I/D size. 

Given the modest cost of O-Rings I suggest you get a couple sizes approximating my dimensions and give them a try.

A tip for "installation" Try to fit the smallest size that you can manage to wedge underneath the On/Off switch. Initially I put on a larger O-Ring which kept popping off when I put the camera into my tight fitting neoprene case. 

I ended up putting on a fairly small O-Ring which I initially thought wouldn't fit, but once I managed to wedge it into place under the On/Off switch it expanded to fit quite securely.