robgo2

Why doesn't my CL show f-stop for adapted Leica M and R lenses?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is true even when using the Leica R to L and M to L apapters. With my SL and the same lenses and adapters, an f-stop shows up in the EXIF. I realize that it is an estimate, but it is usually within one stop of the actual one. Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing?

Leica stopped doing this at some point because the lens opening listed with M and R lenses on the SL and other bodies is an estimate, and they got too many complaints that it wasn't the correct number. Then, at some other point, they seemed to reinstate it on some cameras. The CL doesn't list it, so they didn't set the firmware on this one to include the estimated f/number. That's all. 

Personally, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. If I am given exposure settings data, I want it to be accurate. If it can't be accurate, then I ignore it anyway when it is provided. When I'm using manual lenses, I remember what my aperture setting is nearly all the time anyway. (It's usually two stops down from wide open, as a rule of thumb... and it's usually obvious when I've got it wide open or more stopped down than that.) :D

Leica stops giving estimates since the M10. So with the newer cameras TL2 and CL. 

I agree with Ramarren. When I use M lenses on my CL, I manually set the f-stop and use the guide lines on the lens to estimate depth of field. I generally use aperture priority automation (as I do with my MP-240) so I'm always cognizant of the f-stop I've chosen; usually f8.

On 5/16/2019 at 3:55 PM, ramarren said:

Leica stopped doing this at some point because the lens opening listed with M and R lenses on the SL and other bodies is an estimate, and they got too many complaints that it wasn't the correct number. Then, at some other point, they seemed to reinstate it on some cameras. The CL doesn't list it, so they didn't set the firmware on this one to include the estimated f/number. That's all. 

Personally, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. If I am given exposure settings data, I want it to be accurate. If it can't be accurate, then I ignore it anyway when it is provided. When I'm using manual lenses, I remember what my aperture setting is nearly all the time anyway. (It's usually two stops down from wide open, as a rule of thumb... and it's usually obvious when I've got it wide open or more stopped down than that.) :D

Leica lenses should only ever be used wide open so as long as you know which lens you used you should always know the f stop.

6 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Leica lenses should only ever be used wide open so as long as you know which lens you used you should always know the f stop.

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you’re being facetious. But then again, maybe not.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

CL do not have ambiant light detector. Making aperture guess impossible. 

Leica consider that CL do not need one. Being an APS-C, it will crop out the difficult outer third of the image from an M lens. 

All digital M and SL do have such ambiant light detector. In order to guesstimate the aperture and then apply the right software correction profile. Which is different with each aperture setting. 

Info are from Jono Slack latest review of LUMIX S1. 

As a former M2 for 30 or so years I am so used to looking at the top of the camera I adjust the shutter/aperture on the CL to a little over exposure. Never thought of having the aperture read out from an M or 3rd party lens. I can't remember who said this, may have been Ansel Adams or maybe Aaron Siskind, but the quote is "I used the proper f-stop and shutter speed for this picture". It may have been Aaron Siskind, his sense of humor, had him as a teacher in college.

Not sure to get the point here.
Is the ambiant light detector useful for anything else than exif data when using M or R lenses?
Just curious.

Apparently Leica full frame cameras applied a different software correction according to guesstimated aperture 

3 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Apparently Leica full frame cameras applied a different software correction according to guesstimated aperture 

Never noticed that on my M240 but i may be wrong.