hcklr

A question about the Leica Elpro vs Leica Macro Adaptor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm really looking for a way to focus "closer" with my Leica M10, but not full blown macro. I've tried the Leica Macro Adaptor and it's way closer than I need. It's true "macro" only and nothing else. I really just want to be able to focus a foot to a foot and a half closer than I can with a typical lens on my M10. 

This would mostly be for food photography, without full blown macro. I'm interested in trying the Elpro solution instead, but can anyone tell me if this would achieve more of what I'm looking for? I guess I'm curious what the "maximum" focus distance is with the Elpro, as apposed to the minimum focus distance. The idea/best case scenario would be if I could focus on subjects around a foot to a foot and a half away using my M10. Is there any solution that I should be aware of? 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Soden:

Macro-elmarit-R 60 would also do the trick and it’s sharper than most V lenses.

Good suggestion!

vor 4 Stunden schrieb hcklr:

I guess I'm curious what the "maximum" focus distance is with the Elpro, as apposed to the minimum focus distance

You may find a chart for the Elpro 52 with different lenses on the Leica Website when you serach for Elpro 52.

The range between max. and min. is not large and goes - depending on lens - from 180 to 270 mm. 

With a lens designed for "real" macro like the Macro-Elmarit R your range is much larger, same for the old Visoflex. Though you have to attach rather cumbersome additional gear (R-Adapter and large lens or Viso housing with fitting lens.).

The Macro-Adapter-M can be used with many Leica-M-lenses, preferably with longer focal length. You do not need the Macro-Elmar-M (which is perhaps the best, but very expensive solution), but can easily use any other 90 or 75mm. So you can use your lens in the normal range and get close with the adpater (the closest with a 90mm lens is 41cm which gives you a ratio of 1:2; with a shorter lens you get closer.)

7 hours ago, hcklr said:

I'm really looking for a way to focus "closer" with my Leica M10, but not full blown macro. I've tried the Leica Macro Adaptor and it's way closer than I need. It's true "macro" only and nothing else. I really just want to be able to focus a foot to a foot and a half closer than I can with a typical lens on my M10. 

This would mostly be for food photography, without full blown macro. I'm interested in trying the Elpro solution instead, but can anyone tell me if this would achieve more of what I'm looking for? I guess I'm curious what the "maximum" focus distance is with the Elpro, as apposed to the minimum focus distance. The idea/best case scenario would be if I could focus on subjects around a foot to a foot and a half away using my M10. Is there any solution that I should be aware of? 

With which lens do you use your M10 ?

As first, 50mm lens would not cover same area at one foot as 90mm for example.

I use for proxi-photography, some "tricks" that liveview is a precious aid here.

- first I'm proud owner of Summicron DR 50mm (I do have some over years), this may be a solution for your need, closest is 48cm,

a bit more than 1.5 f and cover about 1:7.5

have a look here for Somni (DR)

- I use OUFRO that is 1cm thick ring with liveview and choose the lens to cover the area I need (50, 75 or 90mm), focus range is very short

- and other "macro lenses" with adapter to M, like Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm or the best for all around pictures Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm as stated above, even some Olympus (light weight 3.5/50mm Zuiko), manual focus Micro-Nikkor 55/105mm, etc.  the nice thing is they focus continuously from 1:2 to infinity 😇

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, hcklr said:

I bought the OUFRO 16469 for that. Works perfect... not too close but nice even with my basic 35mm perfect and easy to carry always in my bag with me.

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

- I use OUFRO that is 1cm thick ring with liveview and choose the lens to cover the area I need (50, 75 or 90mm), focus range is very short

-

Wow thanks for all the great info! I generally use a 35mm lens on my M10 - Leica Summilux, Summicron, and Voigtlander 35 1.4 MC. I'm not looking for true "macro" - I'm truly just looking for the ability to focus CLOSER with my M lenses. I'd say maybe a foot or so closer than their minimum focus distance. Do you think the OUFRO could meet that need? To be honest I'm completely unfamiliar with that system. 

15 minutes ago, PasMichiel said:

I bought the OUFRO 16469 for that. Works perfect... not too close but nice even with my basic 35mm perfect and easy to carry always in my bag with me.

This is REALLY great to know! I'm completely unaware/unfamiliar with the Oufro!

3 minutes ago, hcklr said:

This is REALLY great to know! I'm completely unaware/unfamiliar with the Oufro!

just a ring. and with 2 on top of each other more close. here my lunch with 1 and the 35mm

4 minutes ago, PasMichiel said:

just a ring. and with 2 on top of each other more close. here my lunch with 1 and the 35mm

Thanks a lot for sharing this! One more question about it - What would you guess is it's range of focus? Meaning - if I wanted to back away and get a shot of that plate from say, a foot farther away than you were here, would the ring achieve this? 

19 minutes ago, hcklr said:

Wow thanks for all the great info! I generally use a 35mm lens on my M10 - Leica Summilux, Summicron, and Voigtlander 35 1.4 MC. I'm not looking for true "macro" - I'm truly just looking for the ability to focus CLOSER with my M lenses. I'd say maybe a foot or so closer than their minimum focus distance. Do you think the OUFRO could meet that need? To be honest I'm completely unfamiliar with that system. 

yes that is posible. the egg photo I took a couple of centimeters of the object. I used the visoflex type 020 for that and not the LCD in lifeview.

1 minute ago, hcklr said:

Thanks a lot for sharing this! One more question about it - What would you guess is it's range of focus? Meaning - if I wanted to back away and get a shot of that plate from say, a foot farther away than you were here, would the ring achieve this? 

Yes for sure. I wanted the out of focus part. I have to say the oufro does that what you want better with the 50 and 75. With the 35mm is more macro. I think because the depht of field of the lens.

5 minutes ago, PasMichiel said:

Yes for sure. I wanted the out of focus part. I have to say the oufro does that what you want better with the 50 and 75. With the 35mm is more macro. I think because the depht of field of the lens.

Thanks! You've convinced to at least try this solution! Could be what I'm after!