Lens suggestions for 50mm on CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And another:

Amy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

On 6/7/2019 at 4:26 AM, Boojay said:

I read your comment with enough interest to make me want to look for colour differences.   I have the CV 40mm 1.2, and the Summilux 50 1.4 so thought I would put it to the test and because I have always thought the Voigtlander images had every bit as much colour pop and contrast, and certainly plenty of sharpness.  Just snapped these quickly - obviously I kept the  Voigtlander at 1.4 - minimum focus distance of the lens made it possible to frame pretty much the same, all just imported to Lightroom, used embedded profile then just saved as small jpegs to place side by side in photoshop.  Goodness me, I must need something to do today lol!   Should say - shot on the CL obviously, no in camera settings changed between shots.

If there is a difference it is minute, and obviously all can be changed in edit.  Enough play - need to do some work!   Will put the 4 shots in larger resolution on my Flickr stream if it's of interest.

The biggest difference I see here is in the glass in the back. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2019 at 7:31 PM, CharlesL said:

You want a 75mm full-frame equivalent? Or do you want a 35mm lens for an approximate 50mm full-frame equivalent? A pre-aspherical Summilux 35 is small.

To answer, I'm looking for a portrait equivalent, 75 to 90 range.  I currently have a 35TL and sometimes wish for a little extra reach.

I still haven't decided what to buy for this.. there's lots of confusing choices and I just haven't had time to sit down and filter through them..

On 6/26/2019 at 8:31 PM, CharlesL said:

You want a 75mm full-frame equivalent? Or do you want a 35mm lens for an approximate 50mm full-frame equivalent? A pre-aspherical Summilux 35 is small.

Pre-aspheric 35 f1.4 Summilux on CL nice and small. Mine is sharp but has low contrast, great with slide film. Used it a lot on my M2s.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 7/29/2019 at 3:28 PM, justbananas said:

To answer, I'm looking for a portrait equivalent, 75 to 90 range.  I currently have a 35TL and sometimes wish for a little extra reach.

I still haven't decided what to buy for this.. there's lots of confusing choices and I just haven't had time to sit down and filter through them..

I like a 40-43mm for average environmental portraiture, and 50-60mm for that "90mm portrait look" I was used to with Nikon F film cameras. My choices are a Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Special, a Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4, and a Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8. They net the FF-equivalent FoVs of 62mm, 75mm, and 90mm. I didn't pay more than $550 for any one of them; the Pentax-L 43 was the most expensive and the hardest to find. (Note that you need the M Adapter L and R Adapter M to fit these lenses, which adds to the overall cost.)

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, justbananas said:

I don’t know where you guys are getting these amazing deals on lenses.  I cant find a 50r for under a 1000, 

Probably all bought quite some time ago - used R lens prices seem to have steadily risen.   Would suggest (again probably) looking at either a Voigt 40 or 50 1.2 for your purposes.

I bought all my R lenses between 2012 and 2014. The first three lenses were being offered on consignment at a local camera shop along with the Leicaflex SL black body they were used on ... Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4, Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8, and Summicron-R 90mm f/2 ... for $1500. Essentially, $500 per lens and the body was free. I nabbed the whole kit the moment I saw it. 

I then went on to pick up the other dozen R lenses I eventually owned as I saw them appear on Ebay and with various of the dealers I communicate with. My oldest R lens is a 1964 Summicron-R 50mm f/2 that I bought for about $100, the most expensive R lens I've bought was a Summicron-R 35mm f/2 in mint condition with its box and other stuff for $1200. All told, I acquired that set of 15 lenses for the average price of about $450 per lens, and they ranged in age from 1964 to 1989 manufacture.

For compatibility with the Leicaflex SL, I stuck with mostly three-cam models, not R only or ROM lenses. ROM lenses are the last series and their prices are nearly always much higher than the older ones, but they're all darn fine lenses! The SER15 is not compatible with the Leicaflex SL, I bought the R6.2 body to be able to use it on film. Similarly, the ER24mm was not compatible with the Leicaflex SL; I traded that one for the ER28mm. 

I've since sold off five of my R lenses. Every one sold in 2017 for about 30-50% more than I paid for it ... so I guess prices and desirability have definitely risen a bit. In the years between 2009 (when the R system was discontinued) and 2015 (when the Leica SL was introduced), R lens prices were at their low point...

2 hours ago, Boojay said:

Probably all bought quite some time ago - used R lens prices seem to have steadily risen.   Would suggest (again probably) looking at either a Voigt 40 or 50 1.2 for your purposes.

That's probably what I should try is a Voigt... although, I have located a Contax 50 that's not too expensive.  I guess the first REAL step is to get a M to L adapter... without that, nothing matters.

11 minutes ago, justbananas said:

That's probably what I should try is a Voigt... although, I have located a Contax 50 that's not too expensive.  I guess the first REAL step is to get a M to L adapter... without that, nothing matters.

Well I've been looking at these (though I really do not need another lens of any sort)... but no adaptor needed - interesting!

The Kipon lenses are interesting. Kipon makes the RayQual brand mount adapters too, I think, and those are very good quality (on the same order as Novoflex). It would be interesting to try one of them and see how it performs. 

3 hours ago, justbananas said:

I'm assuming the CL suffers no issues when you place a full frame lens on the camera?

Correct: As long as the lens fits the lens mount (or lens mount plus adapter, etc) AND does not project into the camera body such that it mechanically hits any part of the interior of the camera, there are no issues. There is a short list of (mostly older) M lenses that project too far into the camera body to be used safely. I believe that list is on the Leica website and/or in the M Adapter L documentation.

(Note: In general, LTM and M-mount collapsible lenses should NOT be collapsed on the CL body (or digital M bodies for that matter) ... they were designed for film bodies that had a lot more empty space between the shutter and the lens mounting flange.)

Edited by ramarren
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2019 at 7:58 PM, justbananas said:

I'm kind of interested in trying the Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.2. 

any thoughts here?

I don’t own that lens, but images I’ve seen look very nice. Why not give it a try?