RoyB

SL to M10-P

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two M10s and one SL. I have loads of M lenses and one native L lens (2/75mm).

I think the SL is big and heavy. No two ways around it. Compare it to the M10 or Sony a7Riii and your arm notices it. I'm sure you notice it. I generally shoot 35mm on my Ms. I do use 2.4/75 on my M10s a little.

I packed one M10 and the SL and headed to Ireland last year. Both did well. I found there was a time I enjoyed the EVF of the SL for long exposure shooting. I also only used M lenses on this trip (I had the M to SL adapter with me and didn't have the 2/75 at that time).M lenses on the SL is a great combo. Especially the 3.4/21mm and 1.4/35mm.

Upon returning, I decided to pick up the 2/75 for AF reasons. The SL having AF is a plus. Especially in fast moving situations. The other plus of the SL is the exposure can be seen live while looking through the VF. On the M10, you have to turn on live view in certain situations. This is why I hope for an M10X. I have the Visoflex, but never use it. With the 2/75mm L lens mounted on the SL, the size and weight of the native lens and body just keep me from pulling it out of the bag or packing it all together. Too bad because it is a lovely camera in so many ways.

If you were to make me choose one over the other, I would choose the M10 with 35 lux. I find my photos are a touch cleaner and a little more forgiving in post on the M10. If I needed something longer than 75/90mm, I would opt for a Sony.

My Ms get used constantly and the SL doesn't get used enough to justify me having it, but I can't bring myself to let it go. My 3.4/21mm stays on the SL these days.

I have a kit similar to 6bit. I’m currently traveling around Romania with a pair of M10’s and SL with 75 SL APO. When I’m in the city around densely populated areas I shoot the M10’s with 28 Cron v2 and 50 Lux Asph. On occasion I’ve gone with just the SL and 75, particularly on days when it’s pouring down rain. When I’m traveling through villages, the SL with 75 is brilliant for portraits whilst the M10 with 35 Lux captures overall rural life. I add the 21 SEM when I know there will be fantastic church interiors to photograph.  I don’t find the SL with 75 heavy at all. I carry it on my shoulder with a Harry Benz strap which allows the camera to pivot, significantly reducing the pull. 

Edited by jplomley

After reading your experiences & opinions, re-looking at my current set-up, and thinking of what lenses I truly enjoy using, I will be keeping my SL.

If I would contemplate again in getting an M10-P, I think the right choice is for it to be an upgrade of the M9-P. 

The two lenses that are core to my set-up are the Summilux 50mm and the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 ii. For me, these two create a lot of freedom in my composition by opening up depth of field and low light constraints. The SL with its beautiful EVF, focus peaking and movable magnified focus patch is worth more than the weight penalty going to an M10-P. It's not either or,  it's both, ideally 😜.

If I had an ideal camera though, it would be an M-form factor with a magnificent EVF. But it's neither here nor there. 

Thanks everyone for the conversation. 

8 hours ago, jplomley said:

I have a kit similar to 6bit. I’m currently traveling around Romania with a pair of M10’s and SL with 75 SL APO. When I’m in the city around densely populated areas I shoot the M10’s with 28 Cron v2 and 50 Lux Asph. On occasion I’ve gone with just the SL and 75, particularly on days when it’s pouring down rain. When I’m traveling through villages, the SL with 75 is brilliant for portraits whilst the M10 with 35 Lux captures overall rural life. I add the 21 SEM when I know there will be fantastic church interiors to photograph.  I don’t find the SL with 75 heavy at all. I carry it on my shoulder with a Harry Benz strap which allows the camera to pivot, significantly reducing the pull. 

when you look at the M10 and SL files, do you notice the difference in terms of color rendering? or other ?

Edited by anrotil68

The M10-P is the pinnacle in my view, if you love rangefinder photography. That said I am thinking to trade or sell my ‘as new’ one, can’t justify cost right now and eyes not so good for focusing now. Let me know if anyone might be interested

I switched from Canon pro DSLRs and Canon "L" lenses to Fuji X bodies and XF lens about 4-1/2 years ago to shed bulk and weight without losing IQ. In November 2017, I satisfied a lifelong itch purchased my first Leica, the M10 and a couple of Leica prime lenses. 

I've held a Leica SL in the NYC Leica store. It is a beautiful work of engineering art, but when married to the standard Leica zoom, it is a beast. My M10 kit with a few lenses maxes out my desire to keep my kit small and lighter although not as light as my Fuji X kit. I can't see going back into a FF DSLR if the buik and weight is like an SL kit.

It will be interesting to see if the next version of the SL will have a lighter and smaller form factor. I don't think that it will, but we shall see.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 7 Stunden schrieb budjames:

I switched from Canon pro DSLRs and Canon "L" lenses to Fuji X bodies and XF lens about 4-1/2 years ago to shed bulk and weight without losing IQ. In November 2017, I satisfied a lifelong itch purchased my first Leica, the M10 and a couple of Leica prime lenses. 

I've held a Leica SL in the NYC Leica store. It is a beautiful work of engineering art, but when married to the standard Leica zoom, it is a beast. My M10 kit with a few lenses maxes out my desire to keep my kit small and lighter although not as light as my Fuji X kit. I can't see going back into a FF DSLR if the buik and weight is like an SL kit.

It will be interesting to see if the next version of the SL will have a lighter and smaller form factor. I don't think that it will, but we shall see.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Did you try the SL with the 90-280? The IQ is awesome. You’re 6’4”, I believe, so that should feel like a compact combo to you. 😁

9 hours ago, budjames said:

From a cost/engineering standpoint, it will likely be contained inside the same body shell, like the R8/9 were.  Perhaps using aluminum or titanium upper and lower plates, internal magnesium frame, some weight will be shed. 

I understand the SL body is another solid billet of CNCed aluminium.  While the form factor may change, I would expect the SL2 to weigh about the same.  A carbon fibre body would be amazing, but expensive and potentially brittle - a special edition at best ...

2 hours ago, james.liam said:

From a cost/engineering standpoint, it will likely be contained inside the same body shell, like the R8/9 were.  Perhaps using aluminum or titanium upper and lower plates, internal magnesium frame, some weight will be shed. 

Dr. Kaufmann has already stated that it will have a ‘more elegant’ design, less ‘cut from an axe” like the current SL.  He didn’t mention materials or any specifics.  This was in the same LuLa interview where he mentioned the future possibilities using the L mount, which in retrospect, was a reference to the now realized alliance.  So he’s been right so far.

When the SL was conceived, some Leica exec mentioned that one design that was considered was sort of a ‘mini S’.  So that’s  one possibility.  For me, the X1D is an elegant design with superb ergonomics, other issues aside. Something similar for the SL2 would appeal to me, but Leica marches to its own drummer.

Jeff

15 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Did you try the SL with the 90-280? The IQ is awesome. You’re 6’4”, I believe, so that should feel like a compact combo to you. 😁

Chaemono, I'm 6' 5" BTW.

I tried both the normal and tele Leica zooms on the SL in the Leica store. The longer zoom weighs about 3 lbs. That makes the kit almost 6 lbs. Way too heavy to carry all day long. Super big too so it would be hard to be discreet on the street. It reminds of the Canon 5D Mark III with L 70-200 f2.8 zoom which is why I left Canon for a system with a smaller weight and form factor, Fuji X. 

No doubt the SL system is beautiful and well made, as expected from Leica. I'm sure that the IQ is awesome, but so is the IQ of my M10 with Leica primes, and, Fuji X with Fuji primes and zooms for that matter.

Regards,
Bud James

Edited by budjames

I actually find the current SL’s design to be quite elegant, but, I have only seen images of it. It would be nice to see one in the wild.

Edited by RexGig0

9 hours ago, budjames said:

Chaemono, I'm 6' 5" BTW.

I tried both the normal and tele Leica zooms on the SL in the Leica store. The longer zoom weighs about 3 lbs. That makes the kit almost 6 lbs. Way too heavy to carry all day long. Super big too so it would be hard to be discreet on the street. It reminds of the Canon 5D Mark III with L 70-200 f2.8 zoom which is why I left Canon for a system with a smaller weight and form factor, Fuji X. 

No doubt the SL system is beautiful and well made, as expected from Leica. I'm sure that the IQ is awesome, but so is the IQ of my M10 with Leica primes, and, Fuji X with Fuji primes and zooms for that matter.

Regards,
Bud James

Different beasts.

I can’t imagine wanting to use the 90-280 for street, but anything’s possible I guess.  I have a Peak Design backpack, but to be honest, if I need the long zoom, I’m heading out for a single lens purpose.

The SL is truly the best camera I have owned.

Hey John,

totally agree. In fact I am finding that the 90-280 with lens is a fabulous single purpose set up.

And goes even further when matched with the Q2 (which does not weigh that much) to cover 28/35 + low light

Fedro

My recent solution is getting an R8 for long lenses. I don't shoot action and can MF quickly. When the next iteration of the SL appears, the present one will make all the financial sense but not those massive lenses. A trip to Tuscany years ago with the D700, 24-70 Nikkor & CV 180 ruined my shoulder and disabused me of all desire to drag that much kit around. Period.