Q2 Function Buttons and Wheel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am having difficulties setting the function buttons and the thumb wheel under "customize control".  Can you direct me to a decent explanation of how to set them?  Things like "Active Items Cannot be Deleted" and wheel assignment "auto"....just a little confused.

Do you have the downloadable user manual? If so, take a look at page 47 which explains the "Auto" business for the thumbwheel. "Active items cannot be deleted" means that you have already selected a function which you're trying to delete. Try to change the relevant function to something else and you should be able to delete the function you want to delete. (Sorry, it's quite difficult to explain it clearly. If you're still stuck post again and I, or someone else, will have another go at explaining it!)

Stephen

• Like 1

I finally figured it out after my ch trial and error. In fact, I really like the function now that I understand it. Persevere and you’ll be rewarded. 

I do not understand AUTO, but I set the wheel assignment to Exposure Compensation so anytime I turn the dial it changes the exposure. I set other exposure related features like ISO for instance to be one of my selections. This works well for me. You can do everything with the thumbwheel and thumbwheel button that is assigned to the button. Pretty cool. 

Edited by iQ2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, reynoldsyoung said:

Am having difficulties setting the function buttons and the thumb wheel under "customize control".  Can you direct me to a decent explanation of how to set them?  Things like "Active Items Cannot be Deleted" and wheel assignment "auto"....just a little confused.

Hi. 

RE Active Items Cannot be Deleted" it means that the button is currently set to the function you are trying to not make selectable.  Solution is long press the button when camera is being used (I.e. not in menu mode) select one of the other options to set the button to activate another function.  Then go back into the menu and then deselect the option you no longer want to be available with that button.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Josh

I discovered that if you choose exposure bracketing on the thumb button, it brings up all the parameters to set and AUTOMATICALLY puts the drive mode into bracketing. Pretty cool. I previously thought I had to select drive mode to bracketing even after I set up the bracketing parameters. Its simpler than I was making it. 

• 5 months later...

Why can't the thumb button be set to Drive mode, seems a shame, or even focus mode would also be useful. Also when setting that button exposure bracketing  it does not seem well thought out, the wheel should have an "off" or cancel button otherwise you have to go to the menus to get out of bracketing mode. Custom button implementation needs an overhaul.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, petermlamont said:

A bug? After the update I found that when in manual focus, the right button (in the wheel) no longer acts as a function button (and no longer selects ISO). It is stuck on the focus assistant magnifier. When the lens is set to auto focus, the button works as expected.

I don’t think it’s a bug. In macro mode it’s very important to at times keep the magnified image constant so one can see subtle movement by wind and take a photo when the image is still. Sharp. Pushing the thumb button accomplishes that perfectly. It’s a great improvement and operates very similar functionally to my Canon DSLR’s when zoomed. 

On 2/6/2020 at 9:59 PM, Leica Guy said:

I don’t think it’s a bug. In macro mode it’s very important to at times keep the magnified image constant so one can see subtle movement by wind and take a photo when the image is still. Sharp. Pushing the thumb button accomplishes that perfectly. It’s a great improvement and operates very similar functionally to my Canon DSLR’s when zoomed. 

That's fine if that is what you want it to do. I, however, want a button to do what I assign it to do.

On 2/6/2020 at 3:33 PM, petermlamont said:

A bug? After the update I found that when in manual focus, the right button (in the wheel) no longer acts as a function button (and no longer selects ISO). It is stuck on the focus assistant magnifier. When the lens is set to auto focus, the button works as expected.

Woah, what? You mean you have to switch to autofocus to adjust ISO?

I think it means that the thumb button is disabled from the custom functions when in MF. Again, not the way I think it should have been implemented. I’d have used the set button or up arrow on the 4-way controller. Give feedback. Maybe next release will improve implementation. Of course one can access the Quick menu and change settings there including ISO.