M8 Firmware

Bokatom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just bought a used M8 and it has Firmware 2.005 on it. I can see the latest is 2.024 but there have been minor problems with it. Is there a list of what features were added in each firmware?

What version would everyone recommend I go to (if I need to change at all?)

TIA

Edited by Bokatom

11 minutes ago, romanus53 said:

congrats to your M8 still a fine tool. Start your search for Information About here http://uk.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=93710&subcategory=&type=&language=all 

As far as I can remember there was no Problem with the latest versions, they just added 6-bit-coding for (than) new lenses.

Thank you. I’m very excited by it, it feels lovely! 

Thanks for the link, I’ll shall read everything avidly :)

The M8.2 had a black dot - if it's one of these cameras, it will say LEICA M8.2 on the hot shoe. Otherwise, it's an aftermarket update.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, AndyGarton said:

The M8.2 had a black dot - if it's one of these cameras, it will say LEICA M8.2 on the hot shoe. Otherwise, it's an aftermarket update.

It doesn’t say M8.2 so guess it was just a cosmetic change. Looks great either way

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, farnz said:

If you press the black dot and repeat "My Leica M8 makes the best pictures." 7 times your pictures will improve substantially.

Pete.😇

Don’t forget to click your heels together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 years later...
On 5/22/2019 at 4:44 PM, farnz said:

If you press the black dot and repeat "My Leica M8 makes the best pictures." 7 times your pictures will improve substantially.

Pete.😇

Maybe, but remain aware of your immediate suroudings as someone might pinch your wallet while you are in the Leica Meditative State.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2021 at 4:40 PM, Al Brown said:

Does anyone happen to know where the firmware download page for M8 has gone on the Leica website?

Yikes! I looked at the the Leica website and all of the firmware updates are gone!

I did find this in a google search. http://www.opendrivers.com/modeldriver/leica_m8-driver-download.html

On 12/31/2021 at 2:22 AM, 84bravo said:

Yikes! I looked at the the Leica website and all of the firmware updates are gone!

I did find this in a google search. http://www.opendrivers.com/modeldriver/leica_m8-driver-download.html

Thanks. Completely gone from the page for some odd reason. There seem to be fully functional updates (which is in fact one single .upd file) floating on some servers all over the web like you mention, the latest and most recent version being M8 2.024.upd which works without flaws (just updated mine from 2.005).

• 2 months later...

I wanted to update my two M8s (not the one I took to bits all those years ago) and the M8 update files have indeed disappeared from the Leica web-site. Mine are both at 2.024 but of course there have been new lens introductions since then and I feel sure Leica are not doing anything to update them to support the new lenses, for example, the APO 35 and 28 Summilux. I have a similar problem with the two M9s I have but I think there is still a version online for the M240. I've sent an email to Leica asking why they have been removed. No doubt I will get a mother knows best response which is one reason I dont buy much Leica stuff these days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 12:55 PM, Bokatom said:

One thing I've noticed is that it has a black Leica dot rather than a red one. Was that an option or just an aftermarket update?

Mine too, red dot been replaced in 2011 as upgrade by slower/silent shutter by Leica AG. So if your shutter going up 4000 and red flash mark is between numbers probably Leica model it

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 5 months later...