CL In Rain

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. New CL owner and I’m  looking for some thoughts/experiences. Previously I have had some weather sealed bodies. Admittedly they were only out in light mist and rain. So my question is twofold. First, how have you found the CL to hold up in light mist/rain? Second, if the water caused a problem would Leica be able to repair for a reasonable cost?

Thanks. 

Maybe I’ve just been unlucky but the only camera I’ve ever had a problem with in the rain has been my CL. The viewfinder on mine readily mists up and locks into EVF only mode even though I keep it tucked under my arm in rain. 

Edited by Guest

Taken at the Niagara Falls last month. CL + 11-23 (top) and 18-56 (bottom). (Taken on two separate visits - I didn't change lenses in the open!) The weather was filthy (wind and rain), the spindrift was blown in our direction and the camera got drenched. Yes, I was concerned, knowing it was not weather sealed, but I dried it off with a handkerchief under cover and aired it thoroughly back in the hotel room. There was no sign of harm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The camera body is not weather sealed, so I would always advise that you use some kind of protection (even inside a plastic bag works).

But saying that, I was in the Lake District last week, it was raining, the camera was fine, didn't miss a beat. Maybe I was lucky.

• Like 1

I've only owned three or four weather-sealed cameras in my lifetime. I've never had any problems with any of my cameras in mist and rain, regardless. I, of course, take appropriate care to minimize getting excess water from soaking the camera by keeping it under my jacket or in a bag when I'm not actually making an exposure, and wearing a wide-brimmed hat so that when I'm shooting the rain isn't pouring directly onto the cameras. The CL has performed faultlessly ... 

• Like 1

I don't use the CL, my M8.2 or my TL in the rain ever!!! I have a separate Pentax kit. Their bodies are excellent for weather sealing and the bonus is they have WR lenses as well....Sorry to say, anything more than a light brief drizzle and the Leicas stats at home. they are too important to me to chance a weather related failure. Additionally, in rugged weather, the thickness and the weight of the K-1 balances the wind and the elements. I took my M(240) out in rain once, but I then sweated the effect on the lenses.

Obviously, I have the luxury of owning several camera bodies and they have different functions. If the CL is your only body, I would get rain sleeve for it if you intend to shoot in inclement weather often.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 4:37 PM, Le Chef said:

I've asked myself the same question, but I've decided that until I get frustrated by continuously trying to turn the zoom ring on the 18-56 beyond 56, then I'm just going to sit tight. But turning it beyond 18 is beginning to crop up more often...

Yes...that's why  living in the "prime" lens zone is so much fun....

Just now, huwm said:

I'd avoid taking it into the shower obviously or out in 'proper rain' but as others have advised, brief exposure(unintended) is going to be ok, common sense should prevail.

For those not acquainted with Wales, we get plenty of proper rain.

Still get the chance to use our non 'proof' equipment however.

I take my kit out in a surf kayak on occasion but pick those occasions fairly carefully.

• Like 1