Travel Tripod

I use this combo https://www.manfrotto.us/gitzo-tripod-kit-traveler-series-1-4-sections for my SL and smaller cameras. It's compact enough to fit into a carry-on bag, and light enough to carry around at destination. It's the first tripod I've had in a long time that I don't think twice about about taking on a trip, and gets a lot of use.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chuck Albertson said:

I use this combo https://www.manfrotto.us/gitzo-tripod-kit-traveler-series-1-4-sections for my SL and smaller cameras. It's compact enough to fit into a carry-on bag, and light enough to carry around at destination. It's the first tripod I've had in a long time that I don't think twice about about taking on a trip, and gets a lot of use.

Thank you Chuck!

I use the RRS TQC-14 with column http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TFC-14-Mk2-TQC-14-Mk2-Tripods?quantity=1&custcol61=8, plus the BH-30 head http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/BH-30-Ballhead. No problem to use this relatively light and small combo with the S (although I use a larger, more heavy tripod when I can). The Manfrotto/Gitzp looks nice as well.

• Like 2

I'm with Helged ..... I use a TQC-14c with an Arca Swiss P0 ballhead plus their quick release attachment. 

That's fine for anything except bad weather or splashing about in sea/rivers ...... when I take my bigger RRS TVC-3X 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Hello Greg,

Welcome to the Forum,

For many years I used a full size tripod with a ball head for all kinds of things when I was in the field.. A ball head, or 1 of its derivatives, is the most practical tripod HEAD in the field. In a studio or for some sort of still life situation you might use some other type of tripod head.

I came across a Leitz medium sized, large ball head (Leitz large ball heads have varied in size over the years.) which was & still is in pretty much new condition even though it is probably over 60 years old & has been used extensively. These ball heads are built to last pretty much forever if you respect them when you use them.  And they hold well with a LIGHTLY tightened turn of the handle. Even with a 135mm F4, Tele-Elmar & the camera turned to a vertical position & the camera baseplate attached to the ball head. Just remember that like with a full sized tripod: To adjust the ball so that the center of gravity of the camera/lens combination (Not the lens alone.) is over the longest leg.

I decided to & did build my own tabletop tripod which would be similar to a Leitz tabletop tripod. But it is cosmetically challenged. I added soft, non-marking slippers (Important) & a cable release (Kodak #1).

I found that this combination more & more replaced a full sized tripod for some of the same reasons that Leicas & cameras like them replaced Speed Graphics:

A small tabletop tripod can't do everything that a full sized tripod can but the more that you use it, the more ways you find to use it. And it is easier to have with you & it is easier to use. So much so that I don't even take a full sized tripod to much of anywhere with me anymore. Not even much for still life's anymore. 

You can use a small solid table tripod, with soft, non-marking slippers, with a large ball head & a cable release: Against a wall (Even a white painted wall when it has soft, non-marking slippers.). Or inside (Or above.) a door frame. Against a rock. Or a tree. Or on a car with the engine turned off. And: Even on the top of a table. 

It quickly collapses & comes apart to fit into an actual pocket. And the more you use it:The more ways you find to use it.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Greg,

Welcome to the Forum,

For many years I used a full size tripod with a ball head for all kinds of things when I was in the field.. A ball head, or 1 of its derivatives, is the most practical tripod HEAD in the field. In a studio or for some sort of still life situation you might use some other type of tripod head.

I came across a Leitz medium sized, large ball head (Leitz large ball heads have varied in size over the years.) which was & still is in pretty much new condition even though it is probably over 60 years old & has been used extensively. These ball heads are built to last pretty much forever if you respect them when you use them.  And they hold well with a LIGHTLY tightened turn of the handle. Even with a 135mm F4, Tele-Elmar & the camera turned to a vertical position & the camera baseplate attached to the ball head. Just remember that like with a full sized tripod: To adjust the ball so that the center of gravity of the camera/lens combination (Not the lens alone.) is over the longest leg.

I decided to & did build my own tabletop tripod which would be similar to a Leitz tabletop tripod. But it is cosmetically challenged. I added soft, non-marking slippers (Important) & a cable release (Kodak #1).

I found that this combination more & more replaced a full sized tripod for some of the same reasons that Leicas & cameras like them replaced Speed Graphics:

A small tabletop tripod can't do everything that a full sized tripod can but the more that you use it, the more ways you find to use it. And it is easier to have with you & it is easier to use. So much so that I don't even take a full sized tripod to much of anywhere with me anymore. Not even much for still life's anymore. 

You can use a small solid table tripod, with soft, non-marking slippers, with a large ball head & a cable release: Against a wall (Even a white painted wall when it has soft, non-marking slippers.). Or inside (Or above.) a door frame. Against a rock. Or a tree. Or on a car with the engine turned off. And: Even on the top of a table. 

It quickly collapses & comes apart to fit into an actual pocket. And the more you use it:The more ways you find to use it.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thank you for the welcome and your insights Michael, I will take a look at those!

3 sizes for me, depending on need and transport ease... Leica tabletop, decades old (handy as chest pod), RRS TQC-14 and RRS TVC-24L (with BH-30 and BH55 heads).  The Arca P0 head, which I’ve tried, is also superb.  My wooden pods from large format days are long gone.

In most cases, though, I now prefer handheld photography.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1