Battery problem

lysardman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an original Leica battery and a knock off one too. Whenever I try to charge both of them with either the Leica charger or a new Nitecore charger the chargers both indicate either of the batteries are full after a short time. However, when I put them in my M9 they both say around the 50% mark and not full as the chargers seem to indicate.  Any ideas as to how to solve this problem? 

Batteries have short lives.

If your batteries don't keep the nominal charge, they tell you it's time for another new battery.

If they are younger than four years, maybe charger fault ?

I had many "old" batteries for our M8/M9 that when "full charge" took only few pictures then "0%" or "nothing happens".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have you tried to just keep charging for at least a couple of hours, irrespective of the the fully charged indicator? As a general advise, always try to keep your batteries fully charged (especially when you do not use them regularly).   

Of the three I own, I could keep one on the charger for a week and it would only indicate 50% when placed in the camera. I think it's just nearing the end of its useful life.

Of the other two, one still charges all the way to 100%  and one to somewhere around 95% or so, and I've never gotten all that many shots from a single charge. Taking two out for a half day or more of shooting is a bare minimum, unlike the battery for my M262, which can last me 2-3 days at a time.

Edited by Gregm61

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. 

Both the batteries display the same 50% +- 5-6% even after they've not been used for a few weeks so they're not draining as I think a dying battery would. 

I've left both on charge overnight after showing full within a couple of hours without any increase in the 50% or thereabouts when in the M9.

I'm at a loss as to what to do and can't afford the £100 for a new Leica battery.

Sad to say that M8/M9 batteries are expensive, but "compulsory to use the M with confidence".

How many times, when it was cold, my M8 and M9 refused to work with "fully charged old batteries", then work fine when new batteries put in.

If you can live with 50% battery (and if it works fine for that capacity), you can delay purchasing new one.

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2019 at 12:41 PM, a.noctilux said:

Batteries have short lives.

I had many "old" batteries for our M8/M9 that when "full charge" took only few pictures then "0%" or "nothing happens".

I didn't know Leica labeled batteries are this bad. I have old batteries in old cameras from more than ten years ago. They just works fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2019 at 11:08 AM, Ko.Fe. said:

I didn't know Leica labeled batteries are this bad. I have old batteries in old cameras from more than ten years ago. They just works fine. 

I still have the original battery that came with the camera, and it's working perfectly after 10 years.  I would suggest letting your problem batteries drain by leaving the camera on with them in it overnight, then charging again.  2-3 times through this cycle should considerably improve the life.  If it doesn't help, there are plenty of third party batteries available on ebay for about $15.

5 hours ago, mikelevitt said:

I still have the original battery that came with the camera, and it's working perfectly after 10 years.  I would suggest letting your problem batteries drain by leaving the camera on with them in it overnight, then charging again.  2-3 times through this cycle should considerably improve the life.  If it doesn't help, there are plenty of third party batteries available on ebay for about $15.

First, I don't have problem with Leica batteries. Mine are three years old.

Second, "plenty of third party" is overestimate. Only few are available as really compatible for M9, if any left. Like one USA dude, who is not willing to send elsewhere.  M8 has more offerings.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R5.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XLeica+M9+.TRS0&_nkw=leica+m9+battery&_sacat=0

And none of them are 15$.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:09 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

First, I don't have problem with Leica batteries. Mine are three years old.

Second, "plenty of third party" is overestimate. Only few are available as really compatible for M9, if any left. Like one USA dude, who is not willing to send elsewhere.  M8 has more offerings.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R5.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XLeica+M9+.TRS0&_nkw=leica+m9+battery&_sacat=0

And none of them are 15$.

M9 and M8 batteries are completely identical... 🙄

Jaap, that is the nice thing in those generations of batteries.

In my bunch of 14464 batteries used in M8/M9/Monochrom interchangeably, I have some good surprises.

Just checked them for their capacities and dates of factory.

We never use third party batteries ( those so called 14464 compatible ...).

Some purchased for M8, and I think that those which came with our M8s ("48-06" x2) are still alife and strong.

One Leica 14464 in my Monochrom right now is date coded "48-06" which means manufactured in week # 48 of 2006.

This battery from 2006 still goes strong, while others 14464 had some weekness already discarded.

Checked other batteries which we are currently using (with my wife), so "fully usable", another "48-06", "30-07" , "16-08", "02-09".

Some had been discarded, I had not noted their manufacturing dates.

So, I think that real Leica 14464 can be used for very long time if maintained correctly when we use them regularly.

Twelve years for some batteries, that is not bad at all.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

not as old as this roman bridge but not bad 😇

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I followed the route someone else advised and put a picture on the screen of my M9 and changed the time to permanent and left it overnight. In the morning the battery was completely empty. Put the battery in the charger and 90 minutes later it was 100%. 

So, this seems a very good way to overcome the battery only appearing to charge to 50-60% 

• Like 3

On July 13, 2019 at 8:53 AM, a.noctilux said:

Jaap, that is the nice thing in those generations of batteries.

In my bunch of 14464 batteries used in M8/M9/Monochrom interchangeably, I have some good surprises.

Just checked them for their capacities and dates of factory.

We never use third party batteries ( those so called 14464 compatible ...).

Some purchased for M8, and I think that those which came with our M8s ("48-06" x2) are still alife and strong.

One Leica 14464 in my Monochrom right now is date coded "48-06" which means manufactured in week # 48 of 2006.

This battery from 2006 still goes strong, while others 14464 had some weekness already discarded.

Checked other batteries which we are currently using (with my wife), so "fully usable", another "48-06", "30-07" , "16-08", "02-09".

Some had been discarded, I had not noted their manufacturing dates.

So, I think that real Leica 14464 can be used for very long time if maintained correctly when we use them regularly.

Twelve years for some batteries, that is not bad at all.

not as old as this roman bridge but not bad 😇

what's the name and where is this bridge -- beautiful

On 8/10/2019 at 9:53 PM, OR120 said:

what's the name and where is this bridge -- beautiful

Thanks OR120.

show inside the bridge, in this thread

This nice and old bridge is in Asturias, North Spain : name in spanish is " PUENTE ROMANO SOBRE EL RIO SELLA (Cangas de onis)".

more here ( if you want to know where it is )

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2