Summarit 75mm 2.5 v. Summarit 75mm 2.4

MEC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

36 minutes ago, Reini said:

Please correct me if I am wrong. Summarit 75mm, 2.4 = aspheric, Summarit 75mm, 2.5 = non aspheric

The 2.4 or 2.5/75mm Summarit-M don't have asph. lens.

Only on 2.4/35mm Leica changed the naming to Summarit-M 2.4/35mm asph. (this)

the 2.5/35mm no "asph. naming" (some say that it does have asph. lens, but not in it's naming)

not on the Summarit-M 50/75/90 anyway.

Edited by a.noctilux

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I think the newer iteration also comes with a screw in metal hood, unlike the first version.  No?

Jeff

Correct, the current version Summarits comes packed like "normal" M lenses, with the hood, leather case and documentation.

• Thanks 2

MEC,  If I were you, I would return the f/2.5 as you ordered and purchased a f/2.4.  The f/2.4 is a newer industrial design (circa, 2015) with tighter tolerances according to Leica.  The f/2.5 being older (circa, 2008 design) did not include the lens hood nor the leather case only a pouch.  Even though reviews of the f/2.5 wrote it was closer to f/2.4, that lens didn't focus as close as the new f/2.4.  Plus O1af is correct in his post #8.  Perhaps it was a "shipping error", just the same, you paid for a f/2.4 and you should have received that lens, not an older f/2.5.  As mentioned by Gregm61 above, the new f/2.4 version comes with the hood, leather case and documentation.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Thanks 1

I believe only that only the 35mm Summarit is ASPH ...as commented here when the f2.4s were released ....

https://uk.leica-camera.com/Company/Press-Centre/Press-Releases/Photokina-2014/Press-Release-New-generation-of-the-Leica-Summarit-M-Lenses-with-improved-performance-and-new-design

When I recently purchased a 75mm Summarit f2.4, I specifically did so due to the closer 0.7m focusing; and the fact that it’s more recently built than the f2.5.

Perhaps for those reasons, my very casual observance of pricing in the UK was the used f2.4 version seems to typically be about £ 200 more than the f2.5.

11 hours ago, MEC said:

Hello all. 

How different are these two lens? I ask because I bought an advertised 2.4 but got a 2.5 in the mail. Debating whether to keep to return. Thanks, Michael. 

Performance differences notwithstanding, if you bought and paid for a 2.4 (current model) Summarit, that is what you are entitled to receive. Unless it was at a 2.5 Summarit price, return it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MEC said:

Hello all. 

How different are these two lens? I ask because I bought an advertised 2.4 but got a 2.5 in the mail. Debating whether to keep to return. Thanks, Michael. 

From a technical point of view I would happily buy either, but if I ordered the 2.4 I would insist on receiving the 2.4.

9 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I think the newer iteration also comes with a screw in metal hood, unlike the first version.  No?

Yes and no ;). Both come with the same screw-in metal hood AFAIK, at least my new 75/2.5 did it two years ago. 

Originally ...

Yes, the f/2.5 Summarit-M family was offered with hood as an option, a price to add to the lens (I think to offer at first time "good price for new Leica lenses").

With f/2.4 Summarit-M, the package includes screw-in hood with each lens.

As side note, I use on my Summarit-M 2.5/75mm one old Canon LTM hood ( marked "T-50-2" ) with quicker to attach/detach than the Leica screw-in hood.

Important for me because with Monochrom, I use "a lot" of colored filters.

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Yes, the f/2.5 Summarit-M family was offered with hood as an option, a price to add to the lens (I think to offer at first time "good price for new Leica lenses").

The hood was sold with the lens when i bought my new copy of the 75/2.5 two years ago.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1