Summaron 3.5cm f/3.5 question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I'm looking at a Summaron 3.5cm f/3.5. Judging by the serial number it is from 1952. It comes with a m39->M adaptor and the seller says the lens is indeed m39. I'm curious though that it has 4 protrusions on the periphery of the mount, as seen in the 3rd photo below with the adaptor to the side. This mount looks different to that of other thread mount  Summaron 3.5cm f/3.5s that I have seen online. Can someone please explain?

Also, this lens has an A36 filter/hood mount, correct?

Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Xícara de Café

I use the same kind of Summaron 3.5/3.5cm.

Nothing special with this one.

You have to unmount the M-LTM adapter to be able to mount/screw in on your LTM camera.

You have a second adapter here.

Filter I use on it can be A36 clip on size, if I don't use the A36 to E39 SOOGZ.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

You have a second adapter here.

Ah, that's it. I hope it comes off!

38 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Filter I use on it can be A36 clip on size, if I don't use the A36 to E39 SOOGZ.

Do you know if there is any way of using both a hood and a filter at the same time? I have a IROOA hood, which as you know is for A39 type lenses. Will the IROOA mount on to a SOOGZ?

Thanks a lot

Edited by Xícara de Café

Yes you can use on the SOOGZ your IROOA hood.

Maybe no need of another hood, as SOOGZ acts like a short hood already (that the way I use the 3.5/35mm which has the front lens recessed in the mount).

Here you can see how is my light kit with Monochrom, SOOGZ and E39 filters for every one 😉 35/50/90 taken from my LTM collection lenses to use on M  :

• Thanks 1

Here's my Summaron 35mm f3.5 (earlier LTM version) with a SOOGZ adapter sporting a yellow 39mm filter

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, paulmac said:

It might possibly be a Summaron that was sold as an M lens by Leica BUT was in fact a screw lens with an adaptor fitted by Leica (this was done with early M Summarons). The lens that you have shown is a LTM lens with an M adaptor fitted that MIGHT be held on as above by a small screw.

Hum… I doubt it's a factory mounted M adapter : it bears "M2" engraving, and the M2 entered 1957/8, when A36 Summarons were no more produced (they made the E39 version in LTM, and also the relatively rare M Mount version for M2 - ungoggled) : the lens ,as said, is from 1952 around (indeed, no "GmbH" on front) ; the depicted adapter looks to me a standard Leitz adapter (ISOOZ I'd say).

As for mounting hood+filter on A36 Summarons, it can be done easily with A36 filter on the lens, onto which you mount the original FOOKH/12505  hood.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Uh… sorry, maybe I didn't understand right your pictures… I thought the adapter in the 1st pic (with "M2") was the adapter that arrived fitted on the Summaron : but now I realize that probably it is NOT so… can you unscrew the adapter of the Summaron and post a pair of pictures of it ?

1 hour ago, luigi bertolotti said:

Uh… sorry, maybe I didn't understand right your pictures… I thought the adapter in the 1st pic (with "M2") was the adapter that arrived fitted on the Summaron : but now I realize that probably it is NOT so… can you unscrew the adapter of the Summaron and post a pair of pictures of it ?

Hello Luigi,

On 5/11/2019 at 8:05 AM, paulmac said:

It might possibly be a Summaron that was sold as an M lens by Leica BUT was in fact a screw lens with an adaptor fitted by Leica (this was done with early M Summarons). The lens that you have shown is a LTM lens with an M adaptor fitted that MIGHT be held on as above by a small screw.

If it's a screw lens that has just had a M adaptor fitted then - simple just unscrew the M adaptor.  If it's tight you can do this by fitting the lens onto :- 1 an M body and unscre it when it;s locked onto the M or  2. Fit an M lens cap and use this to unscrew the adaptor.

The Summaron is a superb little lens and even though over 60 years old, will still make great images!

Hello Paul,

The adapters added by Leitz to convert early screw mount lenses to work on "M" cameras were cut flush with the sides of the screw mount lenses. They were sometimes held in place with a tiny screw. They were sometimes held in place with glue.

Best Regards Both,

Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luigi bertolotti said:

I haven't yet received it but I decided to buy it since i wrote first and it will arrive tomorrow or the next day. So all will be revealed! I asked if the mounted adapter was easily removable and the seller said yes. I also asked why there were two adapters in the photos but he declined to comment. I ask too many questions perhaps, but in any case I can return it with a full refund if I'm not satisfied. All the best!

Edited by Xícara de Café

Hello Xicara,

Welcome to the Forum.

Hopefully everything will be OK.

I noticed that in the second photo of your first Post that there MIGHT be some type of cloudiness in the lens. This might be due to light scatter from the way the lens was lit for the photo and not cloudiness in the lens itself. Or it might be something else. It might be good to discuss this further with us here after the lens arrives. It would be good if you could make a photo like the second photo in your first Post. Hopefully showing us a clear lens, like the other 2 photos in your Post number 1 do, without the fogginess.

Best Regards,

Michael

12 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Xicara,

Welcome to the Forum.

Hopefully everything will be OK.

I noticed that in the second photo of your first Post that there MIGHT be some type of cloudiness in the lens. This might be due to light scatter from the way the lens was lit for the photo and not cloudiness in the lens itself. Or it might be something else. It might be good to discuss this further with us here after the lens arrives. It would be good if you could make a photo like the second photo in your first Post. Hopefully showing us a clear lens, like the other 2 photos in your Post number 1 do, without the fogginess.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael. Yes I asked about the fog too and the seller said it was clear. Will report back!

Iain

11 hours ago, earleygallery said:

The first photo shows the LTM lens and the M adaptor separately. The other photos show the lens with the adaptor fitted to it. 

No mystery to solve!

Hello James it looks like the lens in the first photo of Post #1 has an adapter on it.

If you look near the screw at the bottom of the lens, as the lens is positioned, you will see a small curved protrusion coming out of the back of the lens which seems to be following the curve of the adapter shown in the photo at about the point where the "st " of "Ernst Leitz" is on the adapter that is also in the same photo.

Best Regards,

Michael

There is no real mystery here. The lens in question was only ever produced in LTM mount, but it can be used on an M with an adapter. I have used one on an M successfully with an adapter. The vendor in this case has provided an adapter with the lens, which should work. If it does not, there are plenty of other adapters around which will work.

The lens itself is excellent and is far superior to the 35mm Elmar which preceded it.

William

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

It might be good to discuss this further with us here after the lens arrives. It would be good if you could make a photo like the second photo in your first Post. Hopefully showing us a clear lens

The lens arrived this morning. I think it's excellent with no haze. There are a few tiny specks of dust as the seller said, but not enough to warrant having serviced I don't think. Can't see any scratches or cleaning marks. I'll paste two photos of the lens and one of the adaptor. You can see the largest speck of dust in the centre of the lens in the first photo. I guess the lenses from 1952 were coated and it does seem to have a purplish tinge.

Ah, perhaps it will need a service, i just noticed something. While the aperture ring moves well and opens up to 3.5 with nice clicks along the way, it closes down only to f/16 and not f/22. While f/16 does show a tiny aperture, f/3.5 still clearly shows the blades of the iris, a bit like in the first photo (and this may well be at f/3.5). So it looks like the aperture ring is out of place by a stop, where f/3.5 is really f/4 and  f/16 is really f/22.

I wonder if it is necessary to pull the whole lens apart to remedy this? I have a few fine Wera screwdrivers and one the right size to open those two screws on the side at least.... Or is it a job for an expert?

All the best!

3 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello James it looks like the lens in the first photo of Post #1 has an adapter on it.

If you look near the screw at the bottom of the lens, as the lens is positioned, you will see a small curved protrusion coming out of the back of the lens which seems to be following the curve of the adapter shown in the photo at about the point where the "st " of "Ernst Leitz" is on the adapter that is also in the same photo.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

What you see is just the ‘stop’ for the focus knob.

Dear all,

It looks like my seller may not be the communicative type and it doesn't look like he will negotiate a partial refund to cover repairs (see post #16). I have, however, 6 days left in which to return the item for a full refund through the selling platform. My usual lens technician, who is excellent, won't service this lens and referred me on to the authorised Leica servicing agent. Nothing wrong with that, however this man, won't give a quote on repairs without the object in hand. He is based in another city and it's unlikely I'll have a quotation before the return date expires.

The lens I believe was priced well (for a fully functioning lens at least). I bought it online in Brazil for the value of US$327 with postage. Having seen the photos, I wonder if forum members think it's worthwhile keeping the lens and having it fixed at a later date (it still should be usable between f/4 and f/16). Summaron 3.5/3.5 lenses in similar optical/cosmetic condition on eBay are priced much higher - and also, if I purchase a different Summaron on eBay I will likely have to freight of at least US$50. Worth keeping?

I hope this question is OK to ask as I know that the site doesn't permit valuations.

Thanks very much,

If you look at the screws and rings around the lens you can see some marks indicating that someone has alredy opened it. Maybe there was a slight misalingment concerning the f-stops when putting it all together. Not a big deal if everything else is ok otherwise sent it back.