Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, I recently bought a preowned m240 from a Leica store and realized there was a problem when I was charging the battery.  The CHARGE LED would blink and after several hours both the CHARGE and 80% would be flashing at the same time.  Tried it several times but the battery would not charge properly.  I contacted the Leica store and told them what the issue was, so they decided to send me a replacement battery that was also used, but unfortunately, the issue still happens when I tried to charge the replacement.

I'm planning on ordering one of the Nitecore USB chargers and maybe a new Leica charger to test the batteries.

Has anyone heard of issues with Leica chargers for the m240s? 

Thanks!

Edited by hoonetic
added tags

I never had any issues charging. But if I were you, I would make this the Leica store’s problem and have them send you a replacement charger.

To be honest, that sounds like normal behavior, at least from my M9 charger. The LED flashing is a little erratic to say the least. More important question is whether the battery itself is actually charging. Assuming the LEDs eventually become solid, what charge does the camera show when you put it in the camera?

6 hours ago, DigitalHeMan said:

To be honest, that sounds like normal behavior, at least from my M9 charger. The LED flashing is a little erratic to say the least. More important question is whether the battery itself is actually charging. Assuming the LEDs eventually become solid, what charge does the camera show when you put it in the camera?

So, the first battery they sent would never charge past 20% that's why I thought it was the battery. I would charge the 1st battery for close to 12 hours or more and it would top off around 20% or even less.  I have to test out the replacement battery because this morning I checked it, after leaving it overnight and it showed 100% in the camera, but my understanding was that if the battery is fully charged the CHARGE LED would stop flashing and will be lit.  I will try to drain the battery today and charge it again.

Posted (edited)

It was because of issues like this with my M9Monochrom that I bought the Nitecore charger for my camera.There had been a memory issue after 4 years with the original M9 type battery in the Leica charger, which would not reach full charge. The Nitecore charger was able to restore the battery to normal functioning and it has useful diagnostic information displayed during charging -- highly recommended.

Edited by Nick_S

23 minutes ago, Nick_S said:

It was because of issues like this with my M9Monochrom that I bought the Nitecore charger for my camera.There had been a memory issue after 4 years with the original M9 type battery in the Leica charger, which would not reach full charge. The Nitecore charger was able to restore the battery to normal functioning and it has useful diagnostic information displayed during charging -- highly recommended.

I'm glad you stated this because I ordered a Nitecore one just this morning!  I will have the Leica store replace the charger if the Nitecore proves the batteries are fine.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M240 issue you state was common for me with my M9 and started with the use of generic batteries.  When getting the double fast blinking lights removal and reinserting the battery would help but eventually that ceased to solve the issue also.  Please keep us informed of your findings.  

6 minutes ago, darylgo said:

The M240 issue you state was common for me with my M9 and started with the use of generic batteries.  When getting the double fast blinking lights removal and reinserting the battery would help but eventually that ceased to solve the issue also.  Please keep us informed of your findings.  

So, with the M9s was the cause the chargers or the batteries?

21 minutes ago, hoonetic said:

So, with the M9s was the cause the chargers or the batteries?

I can't say for sure, it was functional with issues but I never used the generic battery again.   

My M240 battery had a problem charging from new. The problem turned out to be the charger which Leica replaced under warranty. That was five years ago and I haven't had a battery problem since then.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By bjamisonf
      Where can one find the battery charge level?
      What's the best way to extend the battery life? 
      If I shoot DNG/JPG, where do the JPGs end up? I don’t see them when I import the files into Lightroom. Are they the ones transferred over to the Leica Photos? 
      If one shoots A for aperture, shutter speed, and focus, is it the same as Full Auto in Scene Mode?
      I notice the photos I take in Black and White turn to color when I import them into Lightroom. Importing the B&W photo into Leica Fotos shows it is B&W, which I assume is so that it can be shared. My question is: Are there specific Lightroom presets that show the Leica style?
      I occasionally get the red box with spinning circle. Why does it do that? I assume it’s writing to disk but I’ve had occasions where I haven’t taken a photo at all, so there’s nothing to “write to disk.”
      Can I use the Leica Q2 LCD panel to focus/shoot like my Canon 5D Mark IV? Maybe I’m wrong but I recall seeing a video of a Leica Q doing so. 
      Does changing the user profile also change what’s found on the favorites menu? 
      Is there any sort of logic for how to set up the FN versus the wheel button? I appreciate their usefulness but I find I can’t remember what’s where and I end up going back to the menu button. Any suggestions on how to set it up logically? 

• By Ron Naeve
      The first time I charged my Q2's battery it went to the green "charge" light. Yesterday the battery indicator was red. so I charged it overnight. this morning both the green charge and the orange 80% are lite. does this mean it's not fully charging? I pulled it out and re-inserted it. the charge was blinking but then stopped after 5 minutes. the orange 80% is still lite.? to me this means it's stuck between 80-100%? ? Anyone else experience this?
    • By JohnAS
      I've got an original M8, which has recently been through Solms for a CLA, and repair of shutter and winding mechanism (shipped back to me on 2/22/2018).
      It comes with original box + packaging + manuals, discs, everything.  
      It has the original (large) battery charger with car adapter with all 3 of the wall plug adapters. It comes with a new Nitecore charger, which I use for travel. Four Leica batteries, two were purchased in 2017, 1 a few years ago, and the original. All work and I use them. 
      The camera (as of this ad placement) has 17,952 shutter actuations. Max shutter speed is 1/8000th of a second - the fast shutter. The display screen at the back does not exhibit the "coffee stain", and it does have a 3rd party gorilla glass protector on. The little LCD screen on the top works.
      If you are looking for a great condition, just refurbished M8, this is it. As you might expect, the Solms visit was expensive but thorough - it is like a new camera. This is your chance to get an M8 for collecting or using. 
      I have about 6 of the IR filters that are required for the M8 for sale with the camera. $25.00 each, but email and I'll see what size/manufacturer they are, and see which ones you want, if any. 
      Just ask questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Shipping - we will discuss shipping options to you from Canada; I will charge the exact amount that I pay for tracked shipping. I'll provide scans of the bills to help. I think that's fair.
    • By marcdb
      I recently bought a NOS TL. I'm still figuring out the best way to use it - but nevertheless, so far, it's hard not to like the camera. 

One issue that I have with the TL does not seem to be normal however: when I remove the battery for charging, and the camera is without battery for eg one night, I loose all settings: date and time, and the settings in which I was working before I removed the battery. Saved profiles are still there. Just a problem with the internal battery, or… normal for a TL?

Marc
    • By phraktle
      Hi,

I’m trying to take longer time lapse recordings with the Leica Q. Any suggestions on improving battery life in this mode? It seems to be wasting power by showing the live view between shots. Have not found a way to disable this. Power saving mode makes no difference in this case. So far I have tried reducing LCD display brightness, switching to EVF-only mode, but it’s unclear if these helped...

Thanks,
      Viktor