Charger or Battery problem?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, I recently bought a preowned m240 from a Leica store and realized there was a problem when I was charging the battery.  The CHARGE LED would blink and after several hours both the CHARGE and 80% would be flashing at the same time.  Tried it several times but the battery would not charge properly.  I contacted the Leica store and told them what the issue was, so they decided to send me a replacement battery that was also used, but unfortunately, the issue still happens when I tried to charge the replacement.

I'm planning on ordering one of the Nitecore USB chargers and maybe a new Leica charger to test the batteries.

Has anyone heard of issues with Leica chargers for the m240s? 

Thanks!

Edited by hoonetic
added tags

To be honest, that sounds like normal behavior, at least from my M9 charger. The LED flashing is a little erratic to say the least. More important question is whether the battery itself is actually charging. Assuming the LEDs eventually become solid, what charge does the camera show when you put it in the camera?

6 hours ago, DigitalHeMan said:

To be honest, that sounds like normal behavior, at least from my M9 charger. The LED flashing is a little erratic to say the least. More important question is whether the battery itself is actually charging. Assuming the LEDs eventually become solid, what charge does the camera show when you put it in the camera?

So, the first battery they sent would never charge past 20% that's why I thought it was the battery. I would charge the 1st battery for close to 12 hours or more and it would top off around 20% or even less.  I have to test out the replacement battery because this morning I checked it, after leaving it overnight and it showed 100% in the camera, but my understanding was that if the battery is fully charged the CHARGE LED would stop flashing and will be lit.  I will try to drain the battery today and charge it again.

It was because of issues like this with my M9Monochrom that I bought the Nitecore charger for my camera.There had been a memory issue after 4 years with the original M9 type battery in the Leica charger, which would not reach full charge. The Nitecore charger was able to restore the battery to normal functioning and it has useful diagnostic information displayed during charging -- highly recommended.

Edited by Nick_S
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nick_S said:

It was because of issues like this with my M9Monochrom that I bought the Nitecore charger for my camera.There had been a memory issue after 4 years with the original M9 type battery in the Leica charger, which would not reach full charge. The Nitecore charger was able to restore the battery to normal functioning and it has useful diagnostic information displayed during charging -- highly recommended.

I'm glad you stated this because I ordered a Nitecore one just this morning!  I will have the Leica store replace the charger if the Nitecore proves the batteries are fine.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M240 issue you state was common for me with my M9 and started with the use of generic batteries.  When getting the double fast blinking lights removal and reinserting the battery would help but eventually that ceased to solve the issue also.  Please keep us informed of your findings.  

6 minutes ago, darylgo said:

The M240 issue you state was common for me with my M9 and started with the use of generic batteries.  When getting the double fast blinking lights removal and reinserting the battery would help but eventually that ceased to solve the issue also.  Please keep us informed of your findings.  

So, with the M9s was the cause the chargers or the batteries?

My M240 battery had a problem charging from new. The problem turned out to be the charger which Leica replaced under warranty. That was five years ago and I haven't had a battery problem since then.

• 1 year later...

Buying a Leica M is rather like buying a Ferrari. After selling your house and eldest daughter you just about manage to save enough to buy then you find that scuffing that rim against the kerb is going to cost you £900. 

Same with Leica chargers and batteries. Is there a generic battery and charger for the M240?

1 hour ago, Stripey Badger said:

Same with Leica chargers and batteries. Is there a generic battery and charger for the M240?

I've never seen generic battery for M240.

Maybe the market is too shallow for adventurous battery makers.

I'd not buy generic batteries anyway.

Those Leica batteries are reliable (for me and for my multiple Ms which share same batteries), nothing to complain.

On M-D (typ 262) it's kind of miracle battery life never seen on digital camera, with a couple of weeks use without recharging.

Charger: https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-ULM240-Batteries-Tactical-Flashlight/dp/B074XDGMS3

I use this charger with my M 262, but mine didn't come with the tactical flashligh key ring :-)

I'm not aware of 3rd party batteries... but I've not looked, either.  As a.noctilux wrote above, it is a miracle battery in the M 262.  I've never had "charge anxiety" using my M.

7 hours ago, marchyman said:

Charger: https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-ULM240-Batteries-Tactical-Flashlight/dp/B074XDGMS3

I use this charger with my M 262, but mine didn't come with the tactical flashligh key ring :-)

I also bought the same Nitecore charger with the tactical flashlight ring and it works great - the charger, I mean. lol

My original issue was the Leica charger which I haven't used since I posted this last year.

• 2 months later...

Is it ok to leave a Li-ion battery resting in a plugged in M10 battery charger (Model BC-SCL5) after it’s been fully charged? Let’s say, 2 to 3 days?

Will it damage the battery? Or will the charger regulate the charging cycle accordingly, while the battery is in it, keeping the battery safe?

thanks!

3 hours ago, Madrax said:

Is it ok to leave a Li-ion battery resting in a plugged in M10 battery charger (Model BC-SCL5) after it’s been fully charged? Let’s say, 2 to 3 days?

Will it damage the battery? Or will the charger regulate the charging cycle accordingly, while the battery is in it, keeping the battery safe?

thanks!

Leica recommends, in the user manual, that when the battery is charged it should be disconnected.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 9:34 AM, Madrax said:

thanks!

For long-term storage Lithium Ion batteries like to be stored at 50% to 60% capacity. Should not do any measurable damage to leave the battery on the charger for a short time.

But like my friend Ed always says: “because you could does not mean you should”. Just set a reminder on your phone pop the battery out and be done with it. 

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...

I have had my M240 for a year now, and never once used the Leica charger. It sat in the box. Yes, I did have to charge batteries during this time. When I bought the M240, I also bought a NiteCore USB charging unit, 2 batteries and a grip, from a local photographer, who had sold his M240, and no longer needed the afore mentioned accessories. The NiteCore charged the batteries properly, and camera Info said 100%.

The batteries were were in great condition as was the rest of the gear. Skip forward to two weeks ago. The batteries charging in the NiteCore charger would get to the "proper" 8.2 volts, and the charger said they were "Good".  Put the batteries in the Camera, Info button pressed and.... 45% or 50%, everytime.  Not sure when this started.

Looked online for new batteries to purchase :(

Looked online for information on the issue, ;(   Mixed information.

I thought, why not try the original charger, as has been mentioned on this forum.

Well, what do you know, they are now reading 100% again, 

So, now the question, what to do about the NiteCore charger? Now that they are back at 100% charge, I will use one, and when time comes to charge again, I'll try the NiteCore and see how it behaves.

Thanks to everyone here who has posted.