About that cloud storage site...

Chuck Albertson

If Adobe used your cloud-saved photographs without your permission it would be all over every photography website and magazine all over the world. It would make national news websites.

Imagine the class action suit...

I was amazed how effective Adobe Sensei is at facial recognition. It has distinguished each of many people through my LR CC catalogue, asked me to name them once, then shown me a series of others to check if they are the same person. It rarely identifies people wrongly, though is clear where it is uncertain. Whether you find this scary, offensive, illicit or just unacceptable is, of course, purely a subjective opinion. At the moment I'm relaxed and curious about it. I'm sure someone will try to convince me otherwise. 

Edit. More generally, I am impressed with Sensei's search skills. It makes a good fist of searching my 35000 images for moon photos (with the occasional white plate thrown in) and waterfalls. More useful would be advanced location matching: recognising my photos of, say, Graz (Austria) without either GPS Exif or file name clues. I guess this is coming, though Adobe may have to partner with Google (for Streetview data) first. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This reminds me of another issue with tech. We need a different relationship with monopolies. For the customer there is an advantage in having one social network, one auction, one geo database... but there are also the classical disadvantages of monopoly - reluctance to innovate, price gauging, (stock price stagnation? Is this a thing? Is it influencing our world as consumers?).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jmahto said:

LR CC is also cloud storage. Does anyone know how/whether Adobe is using the photos?

I use LR CC, but without the cloud storage option.  If and when Adobe mandates cloud storage, I’ll switch software, for more reasons than privacy.  

Jeff