Image provenance

jpreisch

It looks like the forum software does not remove the exif data - or not all of it anyway.

So you can download an image file that was uploaded to the forum and examine it with exiftool. 

For example, I've just downloaded an image chosen at random and can see that the photographer used:

Camera Model Name               : LEICA CL

Lens Model                      : Apo-Vario-Elmar-TL  1:3.5-4.5 / 55-135 ASPH.

Of course, if the exif data has been removed by the photographer or software then this info will not appear.

Edited by ianman

3 hours ago, jpreisch said:

Thanks.  That is interesting, can the moderators tell or could someone post an image taken with something other than a Leica and call it a Leica image?

There is a thing called film which can be used on any make of suitable film camera. Nobody can tell what camera was used if the photo or negative is scanned and shown online. The scanner may show up in EXIF, but that is as far as you will get. 

Just out of curiosity, why is this question being asked? Is it an issue that should concern us? I believe that if you really want to know about this the suggestion made by Exodies above is the only way to go.

William

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of course it is possible to "fool" the moderators. Nobody can pretend to identify the camera/lens brand from a small Internet image beyond doubt, or indeed from any image at all. We do sometimes ask a member for the information.
The same situation exists for images that were not taken by the poster and copyright.

However, the questionable mentality behind doing so will manifest itself in other ways as well and in the end be self-defeating.

I suspect that with the coming Art-13 tightening up, supplying EXIF on upload will become mandatory in the future. As an aside, using Adobe's "save for the Web" will strip the EXIF off the image.

48 minutes ago, jaapv said:

As an aside, using Adobe's "save for the Web" will strip the EXIF off the image.

Only if we choose make it so.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pico
  • Thanks 1

🛐

2 minutes ago, jaapv said:

It used to be. Did they change it? I never use it b

It has been like that for at least ten years. :) How time flies. 🦅

Edited by pico

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

I suspect that with the coming Art-13 tightening up, supplying EXIF on upload will become mandatory in the future.

How is that going to help?  Exif data can be easily manipulated!

I do it all the time to add lens data to photos taken with my LTM lenses. I also add Exif data to scans. I do this for cataloguing and searching.

16 minutes ago, ianman said:

How is that going to help?  Exif data can be easily manipulated!

I do it all the time to add lens data to photos taken with my LTM lenses. I also add Exif data to scans. I do this for cataloguing and searching.

Yes they can but it might be possible to shift responsibility to the poster for fraud - it all depends how the law will be implemented in Germany.

Adding data for LTMs or uncoded Ms would spoil the fun, for me anyway. I still don’t know what the issue is here. Why are we concerned about photos posted on the forum with no Exif? Why would we be remotely concerned about this? Do we need to know what cameras and lenses the great photographers from the past used? Can we not just appreciate a photograph for what it is?

William

• Thanks 1

vor 16 Stunden schrieb willeica:

There is a thing called film which can be used on any make of suitable film camera. Nobody can tell what camera was used if the photo or negative is scanned and shown online. The scanner may show up in EXIF, but that is as far as you will get. 

That is exactly the case with many of my photos I uploaded recently in the LUF. The photos, taken with my film Leicas in the 80ies, got scanned from the hardcopies (20x30cm), the exif data simply state "Canoscan"

1 hour ago, willeica said:

Adding data for LTMs or uncoded Ms would spoil the fun, for me anyway. I still don’t know what the issue is here. Why are we concerned about photos posted on the forum with no Exif? Why would we be remotely concerned about this? Do we need to know what cameras and lenses the great photographers from the past used? Can we not just appreciate a photograph for what it is?

William

Sometimes it's useful to know which lens offers a particular rendering, character, or 'look' in a picture so that one might be tracked down and used to make a picture with a particular character in the future.

Pete.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb farnz:

Sometimes it's useful to know which lens offers a particular rendering, character, or 'look' in a picture so that one might be tracked down and used to make a picture with a particular character in the future.

Pete,

100% consent, I learn a lot therefore, but in return, unfortunately my vintage scanned hardcopies and my many old M lenses without coding and finally, my M10-D..... do not allow to share such valuable information...

Andreas

8 minutes ago, farnz said:

Pete.

I know this interests some people, Pete, but when it comes to photography it is the photographer that counts rather than the camera or lens. I know that this is heresy on a one make photography site. That being said, I occasionally wonder what lens was used, but that is much more rare for me than being impressed with the work of a photographer. Even though I own a large number of Leicas, I am not a person that goes weak at the knees when I learn that a particular shot was taken with a Leica, or , indeed, any other make of camera or lens.

William

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, willeica said:

I know this interests some people, Pete, but when it comes to photography it is the photographer that counts rather than the camera or lens. I know that this is heresy on a one make photography site...

Camera and lens do not interest me at all. For a film-based image, the film can be of interest. Conceivably the developer... The photographer is of minor interest - but sometimes when I see a name, my expectations go up. But mainly it is the image. I want to see images that resonate and invite me back.