Sign in to follow this  
benqui

Stripes

What a wonderful portrait! Your pictures with the Monochrome bring back the itching to claim one. I tried to overcome that urge since I had one in my hands at the Photokina in the year of its introduction. But the price tag brought me back to earth then. 

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Sparkassenkunde:

What a wonderful portrait! Your pictures with the Monochrome bring back the itching to claim one. I tried to overcome that urge since I had one in my hands at the Photokina in the year of its introduction. But the price tag brought me back to earth then. 

Thanks a lot James, much appreciated! The Monochrome is really a very special camera, but sometimes she acts like a diva. Especially in portrait photography, it is not always so easy (at least for me). I have noticed that under conditions with strong contrasts between shadows and lights it is a bit frustrating. Maybe it was my fault, but next time I will use my external lightmeter. Have a look at the photo below and you will see what I mean: look at the overblown highlights on her shoulder and back.

Film works much better and more harmonic under the same conditions, thats why I prefer it by far.

Posted (edited)

Superb portrait (top). The light is perfectly placed over her eyes and there's good detail in the shadows. With regards to the blown highlights in the bottom photo, my experience with the MM 1 has been that if I underexpose I can usually bring detail out of the shadows but with overexposed highlights there's nothing that can improve them.

Edited by fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Outstanding, matches the very high quality of your other portraits.

I agree on the film point, especially black and white film is very forgiving in extreme exposure conditions. I still lament the passing of Kodak's BW400.

Stefan

vor 12 Stunden schrieb fotografr:

Superb portrait (top). The light is perfectly placed over her eyes and there's good detail in the shadows. With regards to the blown highlights in the bottom photo, my experience with the MM 1 has been that if I underexpose I can usually bring detail out of the shadows but with overexposed highlights there's nothing that can improve them.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb StS:

Outstanding, matches the very high quality of your other portraits.

I agree on the film point, especially black and white film is very forgiving in extreme exposure conditions. I still lament the passing of Kodak's BW400.

Stefan

Your words are much appreciated, thanks a lot! You are right Brent, underexposure seems to be a way to improve the results in difficult light situations. For sure I will give it a try.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb cl@usinho:

Sofort erkannt. Sehr schön ! 

Vielen Dank Claus! Freut mich sehr, daß Dir das Foto gefällt!

Works for me both are great photos. The pose and expression of the model especially in the first which works well with the lighting you used. 

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Bateleur:

Works for me both are great photos. The pose and expression of the model especially in the first which works well with the lighting you used. 

thanks a lot Charles for your kind words!

First one is exquisite. And yes, second one would benefit from either underexposure ( true also in the M10) or a hand-held incident meter to get the sweet spot. Great work!

Am 17.5.2019 um 05:58 schrieb photophile:

First one is exquisite. And yes, second one would benefit from either underexposure ( true also in the M10) or a hand-held incident meter to get the sweet spot. Great work!

I think the underexposure is a good idea. Or, as far as I have read, the incident meter on the lights (and not the shadows). Anyway, the Monochrom is a bit like a diva, and if everythings works good, I really like the results (and sometimes I hate the results). But for sure it is not a problem of the camera, it is a problem of the user. We say „if you can not swim, it is very seldom the problem of your swimming trunks😏😏😏