X Vario New Owner - Help

tm art

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought an X Vario in very good shape. I have studied the manual and put the camera through its paces but I'm still not sure about a few things (as in general with most things digital 😉).  Your input is much appreciated!

1. Firmware is 1.0. Do you recommend an update, if any? 

2. Is there a way to find the total shutter count? Not sure if it matters but I haven't changed the date and time, and the new image files downloaded on the computer got added to the same L106 folder that was generated by an old Leica I had borrowed

3. The image stabilization appears to be active (but not effective at all) only when using the jpeg formats, not the DMG. A symbol like a silhouette with echo lines around (nothing in the manual about it) appears when I turn on the IS in jpeg mode only. It also seems to make no difference when the IS is activated though sometimes the shutter maybe sounds different (if the manual didn't mention that I wouldn't think there's a difference). I have read that because it's digital not optical it's not very effective, but overall I haven't seen any improvement at all compared with images taken without IS and with similar parameters. Sometimes images with IS are more blurry.

4. There's a little vignetting in corners at 28 and 50 with the Leica hood and the UV filter it came with. What slim filter do you recommend? Also the same question about a slim polarizing filter, if available.

5. I haven't registered the camera and I'm not sure if the original owner did. If Adobe Lightroom is available, does it have any advantages over Photoshop?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Not being an X-vario owner I can answer only a few of your questions.

4. I recommend a 007 protective filter by B+W.

5. You can register on Leica's website.You'll see soon enough whether it has been registered before.

Lightroom is a stripped-down version of Photoshop with a different interface.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Not being an X-vario owner I can answer only a few of your questions.

4. I recommend a 007 protective filter by B+W.

5. You can register on Leica's website.You'll see soon enough whether it has been registered before.

Lightroom is a stripped-down version of Photoshop with a different interface.

Thank you!

42 minutes ago, tm art said:

I recently bought an X Vario in very good shape. I have studied the manual and put the camera through its paces but I'm still not sure about a few things (as in general with most things digital 😉).  Your input is much appreciated!

1. Firmware is 1.0. Do you recommend an update, if any? 

2. Is there a way to find the total shutter count? Not sure if it matters but I haven't changed the date and time, and the new image files downloaded on the computer got added to the same L106 folder that was generated by an old Leica I had borrowed

3. The image stabilization appears to be active (but not effective at all) only when using the jpeg formats, not the DMG. A symbol like a silhouette with echo lines around (nothing in the manual about it) appears when I turn on the IS in jpeg mode only. It also seems to make no difference when the IS is activated though sometimes the shutter maybe sounds different (if the manual didn't mention that I wouldn't think there's a difference). I have read that because it's digital not optical it's not very effective, but overall I haven't seen any improvement at all compared with images taken without IS and with similar parameters. Sometimes images with IS are more blurry.

4. There's a little vignetting in corners at 28 and 50 with the Leica hood and the UV filter it came with. What slim filter do you recommend? Also the same question about a slim polarizing filter, if available.

5. I haven't registered the camera and I'm not sure if the original owner did. If Adobe Lightroom is available, does it have any advantages over Photoshop?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Welcome!

1.  Yes, do upgrade the firmware.  Register your camera and you will be able to access the upgrades and discover the new benefits.

2.  No.

3.  Manual p.156 last note: "Image stabilization is only possible with shutter speeds in the range from 1/4sec to 1/30th sec and sensitivities up to ISO 1600."

4.  No vignetting with lens hood alone. I occasionally use a pol filter and then remove the lens hood. 

5.  Adobe only give you a short trial with the subscription model covering LR and Photoshop. I use the the last version of Lightroom with perpetual licence, which I think you can still get. Lightroom has an excellent DAM (Digital Asset  Management ) system which works seamlessly with the other LR features. Photoshop relies on Bridge which is useful, but in no sense is it comparable with Lightroom. 

Finally,  do explore User Presets which aid work flow practices.

Enjoy your XV. It is a fantastic camera,  despite its few foibles.

• Thanks 1

For a moment I thought I had written this post, as did a friend who thought I had a new avatar, and knew I too had just bought an XV and have a bunch of questions.

I installed a Giotto screen protector and a B+W XS-Pro 43mm MRC nano UV-Haze filter.

Mine too arrived w firmware v.1 so I upgraded to the last and seemingly current v. 1.1

I debated about buying an older model, especially in the digital era, but...what a beautiful camera and lens. My first Leica was probably 25 years old when I bought it, and used it for 20+ years, and with a 35 Summaron f/3.5 lens. 

• Thanks 1

I too am curious about the inclusion of Lightroom but I already own a license and subscribe to the Adobe Photo plan which includes LR & Photoshop CC versions. Thus even if my XV license is unused it doesn’t seem necessary to activate it.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the info! I did use the IS according to the settings in the manual but didn't notice any difference in the resulting images. 

My camera came with a Giotto screen protector. It was installed a bit crooked so its dark frame crops a little the lcd edge on two sides.

Just noticed a post above about how to update the firmware so I'm going to look into doing that.

I second David’s welcome motion! The XV is an amazing camera once you take the time to learn how best to use it. A few considerations:

- Forget the silly IS feature. Is really is like a bad April Fool’s joke that no one gets.

- Use spot focus to ensure accurate focusing. I’ve found one point focus too chaotic especially in instances where the subject or subjects are at different distances, even a slight bit. Face detection can be good but Is easily fooled.

- start off with a minimum shutter speed of 1/125 and practice technique with the camera. Drop the shutter speed as necessary in lower light but be aware of camera shake.

- Be sure to use the macro feature! It’s loads of fun and opens up a whole new avenue of photographic adventure. 

The most important thing it to have fun and give yourself time with the XV. The size:quality ratio is tough to beat, just be realistic when it comes to fast moving subjects (kids) or low light venues. 

Adam

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'll add my welcome as well, it's a nice camera, and there is plenty of experienced users here to assist.

I have never tried the IS, and what little reading I have done suggests it isn't anything to even consider, so forget that.

Just use the camera, as suggested by David and Adam. The lens is superb, the AF, well it's dated now. Often I use mine in manual. For travel though, an absolute pleasure.

Gary

Thanks everybody for the info!!

I really like the camera and for what I'm interested in I don't see any downsides except for the slow lens at higher focal lengths.

Other than the IS apparently not making any difference (I keep it off as I shoot DNG anyway so it's a non-issue) there's one thing I noticed that totally doesn't work as described in the manual: the "status LED".

It's supposed to:

a. Flashing: Distance setting not possible/writing or reading picture data

b. Continuously lit: Distance and exposure setting completed and saved

Instead: it never flashes. Only lit continuously after a shot when writing/reading data, and when pressing forward or backward through the pics in Play. 

From a functional point of view it's not an issue since the successful focus and exposure or lack thereof are clearly indicated with color and sound--white or red numbers respectively for exposure, green or red square respectively for focus, and a beep or four quick beeps respectively.

Has anybody had this experience?

Maybe the manual has it wrong.

PS I have updated to 1.1 fw. I like most of the changes (the added functions)

--
tm art

Edited by tm art

Welcome to the forum and good choice of camera :)  The green LED on my camera does not flash either except to let me know the camera is reading/writing either. For using EVF, this would be nice and is a feature seemingly discontinued after the X2.

David

Apart from occasional use of a polariser I've never use a 'protector filter' on my XV. The hood provides e.g. impact protection and modern lens coatings are sufficiently hard/resilient to enable cleaning without any scratching/marking. 'Lens protectors' have their uses e.g. on the beach but for regular photography are not essential. 

dunk 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tm art said:

Thanks! The green LED on my camera comes on (never flashes) only while it's saving a pic just taken or when pressing forward or back in Play. 

I didn't notice a change with the EVF either. 

The EVF does not affect anything. When using the EVF, however say with X1, the green light comes on and allows you, without removing your eye from the EVF, that you are in focus :)  Sadly, that is not the case with the X Vario or X 113. So I usually hold focus in place while getting a peek at the screen and then release shutter. Stopped down and zone focusing, this works nicely.

David

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2019 at 5:05 PM, tm art said:

Forget both Lightroom and Photoshop. Use darktable instead: it's free, and just as good.

2 hours ago, wda said:

OP, yes. Lightroom has an excellent cataloguing system which is at the heart of image management. 

I have had no trouble at all navigating my extensive image library after leaving Lightroom behind for darktable. 

Thanks for the tips! In the meantime I found out that the first owner had registered the camera and downloaded lightroom so I can't do that anymore. I have used photoshop and I'll sure give a try to darktable. 

• 3 months later...

Right now I have two LXVs.  Neither of them cost me more that $600.  The first has some cosmetic damage from taking a hit on the lens rim and filter threads.  Ugly but works perfectly,  $520 on Mercari The 2nd also from Mercari came without battery or charger for $600, minimal wear seems to work just fine.  Only had 5 days to check it out so time will tell if I got a bargain or a lemon.....

This week in the streets of the city with LXV #2

Edited by drsamj
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, drsamj said:

Right now I have two LXVs.  Neither of them cost me more that $600.  The first has some cosmetic damage from taking a hit on the lens rim and filter threads.  Ugly but works perfectly,  $520 on Mercari The 2nd also from Mercari came without battery or charger for $600, minimal wear seems to work just fine.  Only had 5 days to check it out so time will tell if I got a bargain or a lemon.....

This week in the streets of the city with LXV #2

Welcome to the forum. 

Your first image confirms the general performance of XV #2 and is worth keeping once you buy a charger and pair of batteries. Not sure what help you are seeking, but the impact evidence on the other XV would deter me. You have no idea if it has suffered internal damage, so why take the risk when you have a good working model.

I would check that all functions are working OK.

Edited by wda