The M nylon strap, anyone uses it?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I left the M's shoulder strap in the camera box since day 1, until lately I need a camera strap for my Nikon Z that comes with a fugly strap.  I realize the Leica strap is actually a very good!!  It's very easy to put on or remove, the buckets is not touching the camera body and it's light weight.  I think I have really brain washed by seeing too many M with leather strap on the internet, so I kinda automatically went to buy a leather one without checking it out first. 

The M20 and 240-P had a very simple strap and I liked it. However, it did get criticism that, unless the attachment covers were in place and pushed down, it was possible that the connectors could become loose and the camera would separate from the strap. What I liked about it was its was adjustable.

The M10-P strap is leather and uses different connectors and there is no size adjustment. I like to wear my strap across my body and it gets very tight even on my slim frame.

(Try climbing over rural stiles and you'll understand the need for cross-body positioning.)

I like the M straps and have never felt the need for another brand.  I did, however, prefer the pliability of the one that (I think) came with the M240 and bought a spare at the time to use on another M.

Jeff

• Like 1

Present Leica nylon strap is "perfect for it's purpose" for me.

I've tried other straps from Leica or other brands and always came to original nylon strap since decades.

M4-P (1980 ?) had a larger strap that inaugurated the nylon strap age, I had used leather straps before that.

Since then, Leica nylon straps are getting better : less large, more suppleness, simpler to attach and detach, etc.

I use these nylon straps on my other gear's brands also.

First class straps that when needed (dirty after some time) can be machine washed 😉.

This reminds me of ...

Just seen this Kodachrome 25 of 1984 taken by my wife

I used the M4-P large nulon strap on my M4 😎

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After having tried many custom-type straps I am back to the supplied straps with my M262 and M9. They are comfortable as well as, I change lenses a lot and like how I can invert the fittings against the camera lugs when moving from one lens to another and they will keep the body only pointed down while sitting against my chest until I get the new lens fitted.

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, pico said:

The shoulder pad is just perfect. I mated a stock pad with a custom strap for the best of two worlds.

The shoulder pad on my stock strap is not removable...  🤔

The Leica strap on my M240 is coming up to its 9th birthday. How's that? It's the strap I used on my M9 and I've kept using it since (the new strap in the M240 box went with the M9 when sold). The pad grips well, and the system for attaching the strap to the camera, although fiddly to get it the right way round, is very secure. So, although the strap is now literally looking rather frayed at the edges, it ain't broke - so why fix it?

On 5/9/2019 at 9:08 AM, jaeger said:

The shoulder pad on my stock strap is not removable...  🤔

You are right, of course, and I'm sorry for my brief quote. I cut the strap about 4" from each side, doubled it over and stitched each end it to a wider leather strap - something most owners cannot do.

After buying expensive straps from a variety of sources I came to the conclusion that they just added awkward bulk at the body connection point.   I reverted to the nylon strap and loved it.  I bought more whenever I saw a good opportunity.   They are perfect.

It came with M-E. It is not elegant, it is not durable, it is not quality product.

Nylon is dirt cheap, worms out in no time. Plastic locker on one side was not sitting right. After M-E came back from warranty service, I let guy in camera store re-attach this stripe to M-E. Few day latter my camera was falling on the concrete, I was lucky to grab it before it drooped. One of the latches some how become disconnected. It could happen if this plastic part is not fastens to metal ring.

I'm using it. 

The nylon strap is fine - but I did dig out an older one with the classic Leica script logo vs the one with unappealing newer block lettering that came with the 240.

Speaking of straps, decades ago in school our instructor suggested we have have strong ones so when a thief goes for your camera, swing it around your head bola style and yell "COME AND GET IT!"  😀

I personally don’t like the stock strap that comes with the M240. I spend a lot of time in Asia and I don’t like the way they press into my neck in the heat... after a day of walking around, it’s actually quite uncomfortable for me. Personally I use a Leica Rope strap 120cm on one of my M240’s. I like that I can wear it on top of a t-shirt but under a shirt for extra security, it’s absolutely no problem in the heat and I can slide the camera up and use it when I need it and semi-obscure it by my shirt when not in use. I use a plain black leather next strap 115cm on an M4 and a leather wrist strap on my other M240 from these guys... http://www.1901fotografi.co.uk/shop?category=wrist+straps they are based in the UK near bath and very reasonably priced. 

With my film MP, I used the M strap that came with it.  with my M4-P and M-P 240, I have used the Leather Leica M straps and a Harry Benz strap. 

The nylon M straps are good, functional straps of the plain Jane variety.  I would trust the safety of my M to them, but a little luxury in the strap department is no crime.

On 13 May 2019 at 2:07 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

It came with M-E. It is not elegant, it is not durable, it is not quality product.

Nylon is dirt cheap, worms out in no time. Plastic locker on one side was not sitting right. After M-E came back from warranty service, I let guy in camera store re-attach this stripe to M-E. Few day latter my camera was falling on the concrete, I was lucky to grab it before it drooped. One of the latches some how become disconnected. It could happen if this plastic part is not fastens to metal ring.

I'm using it. 

I'm still using the original 'nylon' strap that came with my M240, but I keep a watchful eye on the plastic locker thing covering the D metal attachment ring as it has a habit of disconnecting, and if I'm not careful the D ring could rotate. The original nylon strap on my M6 however is more secure, the plastic piece covering and securing the D has a firmer fit.

10 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

I'm still using the original 'nylon' strap that came with my M240, but I keep a watchful eye on the plastic locker thing covering the D metal attachment ring as it has a habit of disconnecting, and if I'm not careful the D ring could rotate. The original nylon strap on my M6 however is more secure, the plastic piece covering and securing the D has a firmer fit.

Best just replace the clip with a simple split ring.