Why Leica?

itzeddy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd have thought that a better analogy would be to compare a Rolex Oyster Perpetual with an Apple Watch. The latter will do so much more stuff but will be obsolete in 10 years; probably much sooner. In contrast, the Rolex is a design classic, a purely mechanical instrument and will appreciate and keep running for decades. My Rolex cost me a couple of months' salary 25 years ago but is as good today as the day I bought it, and will be left to my son in my will. Imagine anyone leaving on old Apple Watch as a legacy?! 

• Like 5

On 7/9/2019 at 10:11 AM, Chaemono said:

Just be careful not to hit the breaks too hard on the Audi S6. Things can come flying off the seat, like an M10, for example, hit the seatbelt bracket in the front, and cause a ding in the top plate. 

It was actually on the rear seat floor of my wife's Honda Accord.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2019 at 9:34 PM, magixaxeman said:

For me its a combination of the bodies and lenses, the way they work together faultlessly, even if its a 50 yr old lens with a modern body or a modern lens with a 54 yr old body and lets face it where else will you find a sharp as a razor 90mm f2.8 that covers FF sensors weighing in at 226g !!

For that matter where else will you find a camera body from 1965 that still works just as it did the day it left the factory.

I used to think the Nikon FM was a tank of a camera for the way it survived war zones but Leica's are even more robust.

Well, my Corfield Periflex Gold Star still works flawlessly, and I am convinced that not one screw was touched in its life.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 3:40 AM, indergaard said:

Exactly. It's all about the "window to the world". If the M10 or a future M had an EVF with focus magnification and focus peaking instead of the optical rangefinder, I wouldn't even see the point in getting in.

Same for me.  Also, like Nowhereman I haven't experienced a camera EVF that I would switch to.  The lenses are expensive but worth it. Compare to the top level lenses from Nikon and Canon and Zeiss, also very expensive.  You get what you pay for, but even the older lenses are great.  M10 with 90mm f4 collapsible (4-element) Elmar, with some adjustment in PS.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

Well, my Corfield Periflex Gold Star still works flawlessly, and I am convinced that not one screw was touched in its life.

Same with a couple of Nikon Ftns that I still have, built like tanks but a joy to use none the less............

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I started shooting back when film was king. I now have the M240 and M10. If I had the money back in the film days I would have gotten a Leica. My reasons for shooting with M's: The camera itself and the lenses look beautiful to me. And I love how they feel in the hand. As a result, I love using them. Honestly my photos look better when I use my Sony A7 series cameras. In other words what motivates me to shoot more is the camera and not the subject matter. I understand that my motivation is not popular or looked down upon by other photographers (mainly non-leica shooters) but I don't care. I love the history of Leica, I like reading books about Leicas and I love seeing other people's Leica's.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have such a love hate relationship with my Leica’s. I don’t think I’m producing images that I couldn’t make easier on an A7r3, and arguably better quality considering the 47mp. But, I love using my Leica’s. I like the way they look, the way they feel in my hand and the sound they make... especially my M7.

Some people on this thread have said that it’s only the end result that matters, I disagree with that. I think the process is as important, especially in this instant gratification/filter everything/ digital made easy world we live in. I want to feel connected to the work I make and I want to see work that has inherent skill involved. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Technically, the best images come from my Nikon D800E and most of the primes available, be it a Nikkor 35mm AF-D F2, Nikkor 85mm f1.8 or Voitlander 58mm F1.4. No doubt about that.  And my most exciting/ spontaneous images have come from a Ricoh GR II before I burnt it out through use so currrently the Ricoh GR III.  Leicas are not the king of street photography, it's the GR.

However, I also chose and saved significantly for Leica becuase:

• It's the only way of getting a FF CCD camera (lots of nonsense about "Leica look", including from me 😂- in my case LL is CCD images coming out of the M8/M9/M-E and that's that).
  • There is no alternative to having to prepare or think through each image taken, from pre focusing to using the rangefinder - once familiar with this, you are rewarded by how good the image looks as a result.
  • Rangefinder improves composition no end - you are rewarded by how good the image looks as a result.
  • All these rewards mean more pleasing natural files with no need for LR plugins.
  • A sense of achievement in rendering these nice images (more than my other gear) which inspires you to get on it more.  So much so, you are even prepared and learn to cope with the "issues" (electronics, etc) that arise as part of the "fun" of owning a digital Leica.
Edited by Ray Vonn
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Ray Vonn said:

Technically, the best images come from my Nikon D800E and most of the primes available, be it a Nikkor 35mm AF-D F2, Nikkor 85mm f1.8 or Voitlander 58mm F1.4. No doubt about that.  And my most exciting/ spontaneous images have come from a Ricoh GR II before I burnt it out through use so currrently the Ricoh GR III.  Leicas are not the king of street photography, it's the GR.

~ ~ ~

-Totally agree with the GR; I've not seen better B&W than its JPG-OOC. Spectacular lens. I only wish they'd resurrect a film version of the same.

-Technically better with the geriatric Nikkor 35/2D??? Ehhh.... Zeiss 2/35 ZF is another matter, but it and a Voigtländer 58/1.4? Good luck focusing accurately on a D800E. Nice lenses on my Nikon FM2, though. 

Most of the experience is not lugging 3kg of kit on my shoulder or lazy reliance on AF; MF is natural to me since that's how I learned, as is deliberateness & economy of shots also habitual from my teen years when I could barely afford film & development.

That's 'Why Leica'.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, james.liam said:

Technically better with the geriatric Nikkor 35/2D??? Ehhh.... Zeiss 2/35 ZF is another matter, but it and a Voigtländer 58/1.4? Good luck focusing accurately on a D800E.

Yes.  I have seen lots of negative comments on the 35/2D, I must have a good copy.  Sure, it's very plastic and noisy sounding but the rendition, both colour & mono is just great.  It could possibly be the camera I suppose, but I think it's the lens.  The Voigtlander is the easiest focusing lens I've ever used either on Nikon or adapted onto another body.

• Like 1

I really have a love-hate relationship with the "smart phones" and related products.  While I admire the technology (some of it paid by taxes),  I hate the cult like dedication of many (most?) to their phones.  Having said that and adding:  I have a slightly similar dedication to  Leica lenses and small rfdr M's - but, don't disrupt others by only paying attention to my Leica stuff everywhere I go.    Leica and others need to conquer the current users of cell phones, auto focusing,  and other plastic camera gear with something other than past glories and broken promises.  Pretty soon almost no one will remember those old cameras (Leitz et al) around the necks of photojournalists.  Perhaps that will be denied as factual and just an opinion that they ever existed. Regards, Ron

17 hours ago, Maxx71 said:

I started shooting back when film was king. I now have the M240 and M10. If I had the money back in the film days I would have gotten a Leica. My reasons for shooting with M's: The camera itself and the lenses look beautiful to me. And I love how they feel in the hand. As a result, I love using them. Honestly my photos look better when I use my Sony A7 series cameras. In other words what motivates me to shoot more is the camera and not the subject matter. I understand that my motivation is not popular or looked down upon by other photographers (mainly non-leica shooters) but I don't care. I love the history of Leica, I like reading books about Leicas and I love seeing other people's Leica's.

Same here - my two M cameras (M4-P and M-P 240) are a joy to shoot with.  They are so very simple - and effective.  Even the M-P 240 is not plagued with an endless litany of menu choices.  It is far easier to use than my Fuji X100F which I bought as a back-up to the M-P 240.

And as David observed in post #15 -

"...

1.    The M-10 is a throwback to the simplicity of cameras in the era in which I learned photography.  I like paying attention only to composition and artistic efforts, while dealing only with aperture, speed, ISO and manual focus. (I know that I can set all these manually on a DSLR, but rarely do I fiddle with all the controls to achieve that result.)

2.   I like the rangefinder and the control that I have over focus. 

3.   I like the reduced size, weight and feel of the M-10 compared to my big Nikons.

4.   I like the quality of Leica prime lenses (at least I hope they are better, given their price).

5.   Unless I use my Nikons regularly, I am frustrated by having to ensure that all the switches, buttons and options are set properly. For example, I failed in some shots with a DSLR yesterday until I discovered that two switches on the zoom lens (manual vs autofocus, and vibration reduction) were not set to what I wanted.  Even shooting whales at a distance with an M-10 and a 35mm lens (since my longer Leica lenses were not with me at the moment) would have produced good shots compared to blurry DSLR shots with some of the many electronic options improperly set..."

The 100% control by the user and the simplicity that control gives the user are strengths of the M system that cannot be overstated.  Example - I was recently shooting an event outdoors in the rain with my Fuji X100F.  Somehow at about the midway point through the event - probably when switching between horizontal and vertical orientation of the camera - I inadvertently pressed a button or switch without realizing it.

After the shoot, I fond that the last half of my images were not 24 mp RAW files.  They were 14 mp JPG files.  That was an extremely exasperating discovery.  I have never had an incident like that with my M-P 240 or the M 240 which I owned before upgrading. 

Having a camera body with a minimalist layout and not having 50 buttons and switches on the camera body along with 1900 menu options is infinitely preferable IMHO to endless options and complexity that interferes with actual image making.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 4

These threads always remind me of the scene in the 1980 movie Fame, where the classically-educated music teacher (Shorofsky) arrives to audition a student, and is shocked by the student's array of four keyboards, multiple pre-amps, amps, and speakers, and the number of switches he must flip to "power up" and perform.

"Mein Gott. Duss he vant to be a musician - or a 747 pilot!??"

From a later moment in the film....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT465GJDyzs

Gotta have sympathy for all points of view....

Edited by adan
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

One of the most interesting things about Leica was the ability to quantity immediately via Instagram the type of images users who shoot Leica and Leica specific M cameras make VS images people who use a Sony, a canon, or Nikon make.  When I look up hashtags for an M9 or M6 or M10, there is more a story telling moment to the image.  You see environmental portraits or street photography that make you wonder about the moment, the story, the people in the image.  When you look up the latest and greatest DSLR or mirrorless camera, you see a much different type of image.   I shoot with the Hasselblad Full frame digital back as my main system.  It gives me the medium format look and the type of control that I like out of my images, That being said the most enjoyable camera I have to shoot with and the one that connects with the subject in a weird way is my original Monochrom or my M6.  Looking through that range finder whether it be via the studio or out on location allows me the ability to shoot insanely quickly. No complications of a camera and menus to get in my way. Just directing, and the simplicity of a manual focus rangefinder system.  If one could make an upsized Leica M in a medium format sensor, I'd buy it in a heart beat and I'd pay dearly for it. Simplicity changes how the brain works and for me it allows me to craft a far superior image.  THIS is why Leica. .

• Like 6

On 7/9/2019 at 9:55 AM, Chaemono said:

+1. Pictures of tiny sharp whales in the distance are to be preferred to a perspective of big blurry ones that fill the frame. 

I've found myself "under lensed" several times when out shooting with my M10 and lens of choice, the Summilux 35. What amazed me is the even when cropping tightly in post-processing using only about 25% of the frame, the image quality is still excellent. The Leica lenses are truly amazing, but, obviously, you pay a lot for that.

Buy one, cry once!

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Thanks 1