Q2 SD card recommendations

I'm leaning towards getting the Sony Tough 128GB UHS-II card.  I don't need the speed, but it's nice to have.  Plus, the Sony Tough is supposed to be more durable (with my other cameras, I  download pictures by plugging in the cable.  But the Q2 apparently doesn't have any ports, so you have to handle the SD card every time you download pictures).  

• Like 4

I use this fast Sandisk card, works perfect. 😀

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lexar, Sony or Toshiba UHS-II-Cards work perfekt und fast in the Q².

SanDisk doesn't use the full speed potential and also likes to get stuck with serial shots. 

At the Q1 SanDisk (Pro Version) was unobtrusive and fast. I wouldn't recommend it for the Q² anymore.

I made the same experiences with Fujifilm cameras. SanDisk is also the most unreliable solution when it comes to UHS-II.

• Like 1

I bought a Lexar 128 GB UHS-II card, only to find that it doesn't play well with the SD card slot in my iMac running Mojave using LR for processing (LR can't read the DNG files or the embeeded jpeg preview.) If I put it in the Lexar card reader that came with the card and plug it into the USB port, all works fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ran an experiment today to try and see what different speed SD cards made to emptying the buffer on the Q2. I used exposure bracketing set for 5 shots and always shot the same scene. I tried to be as consistent as possible with measuring the time and I repeated the experiment with each card. I used Sandisk SD cards.

Ultra                  30 MB/s      20 sec.

Extreme Pro    95 MB/s      20 sec.

Extreme Pro  300 MB/s      12 sec.

I was hoping for a better improvement with the 300 MB/s card, but it is what it is.

My assumption is these numbers are representative if one was shooting in any of the continuous modes. 

Dan

• Like 4

I've always used Sandisk or Lexar SD cards in the past. 

But, I came across this article showing the Sony cards have the fastest write speeds (not sure if this makes much difference in real world usage) - https://www.accessoriestested.com/best-memory-cards-for-leica-q2/

As stated earlier, I'm leaning towards the Sony Tough 128GB : https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Performance-Blazing-SF-G128T-T1/dp/B07H9GDFRW/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sony+tough+sd+card&qid=1557800675&s=gateway&sr=8-3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, albertknappmd said:

I was not aware that the Q2 can accommodate SDXC ll SD cards..

I thought it was only SDXC l compatible.

By way of reassurance, from page 150 of the manual:

• Like 5

Thanks for your replies! I just picked up an ExtremePro, now if I’d only get that call from the Leica Store.........

• 1 month later...