Uneven exposure/vignetting with TL55-135

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I realise I have to tread carefully here, newbie, to Leica that is, but I have over sixty years of experience in AP. All I can do is to show the results. I tried my other TL lens, the 18-56 and that seemed OK.

As I usually introduce a slight degree of vignetting at PP I'm not overly bothered, I still find it to be superb lens.

Observations from more experienced members would be a welcomed by all Im sure, especially 55-135 owners.

The sea shot is SOOC JPG @ 135mm with hood fitted. My first reaction was...it's the hood causing vignetting, but I thought I'd confirm it at home......The hood makes NO difference, the problem persists without it fitted.

In shots without large flat areas the effect is not noticeable.

All shots wide open f4.5

135mm

55mm

Edited by Dave in Wales

1 hour ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Filter attached?  If so, is it a slim filter? 

dunk 

Yes, a standard Leica E60 UVa II.....for protection.

I would have thought that Leica would have included one when they

designed the lens.

Edited by Dave in Wales

This is the  uncorrected vignetting I get. 135 mm, wide open. Fairly normal for  200 mm equ. zoom.

Did you underexpose?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, jaapv said:

This is the  uncorrected vignetting I get. 135 mm, wide open. Fairly normal for  200 mm equ. zoom.

Did you underexpose?

Do I underexpose, no not intentionally. The sea shot was underexposed however and boosted in PP. Your shot is not 'dissimilar' to mine, I'm inclined to say.

• Like 1

I wonder if SDC (software distortion correction) is being applied?  I had a problem with the TL23 showing distortion (but no obvious vignetting) and after several tests it was clear my older version of LR was not applying SDC.  The uncorrected results were pretty poor for the image I was working with, as it had long horizontal lines near the boundary.  In other situations it would not be a problem.  Quite possibly it applies to corrections for vignetting as well?

I would not be happy with this level of vignetting in any lens, let alone a Leica.  YMMV

Edited by rob_w

13 minutes ago, rob_w said:

I wonder if SDC (software distortion correction) is being applied?  I had a problem with the TL23 showing distortion (but no obvious vignetting) and after several tests it was clear my older version of LR was not applying SDC.  The uncorrected results were pretty poor for the image I was working with, as it had long horizontal lines near the boundary.  In other situations it would not be a problem.  Quite possibly it applies to corrections for vignetting as well?

I would not be happy with this level of vignetting in any lens, let alone a Leica.  YMMV

Thank you.

OTOH, a lens that can give me images such as this is a 'real keeper', so what if I get a bit of vignetting now and again on large plain areas shot wide open. As 'ramarren' says above, "two stops down for best results.".....A fabulous lens.

Edited by Dave in Wales
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rob_w said:

Do you mean to say that Leica lenses don't vignette? Have a look at the Noctilux 0.95 - 3,2 stops of vignette and Leica is proud of the achievement. Justly so.

Given that it is corrected by one push on a slider, I wouldn't worry about it.

I mean to say, if the lens is designed to work properly with SDC, make sure your development software is applying the SDC. 

If the result after SDC is still the amount of vignetting Dave’s sample shows,  I for one would be disappointed.  YMMV and that’s fine  

The Noctilux is a special case as i am sure you know.  I have owned many Leica lenses including various zooms and never seen that degree of vignetting on film or digital. 

Edited by rob_w

I never use lens profiles.  As some parameters, like vignetting,  are not only due to the lens specificatons,  but to the content of the image as well, I prefer to do my own corrections in post-processing. My Vario-Elmar R 90-280 certainly had some similar vignetting at the long end, for instance.
The Apo-Summicron 50 M has two stops of vignetting. (official Leica figure)  The Summilux 50 SL as well (see the Red Dot Forum review). I think your perception is not borne out by facts.

9 hours ago, rob_w said:

I mean to say, if the lens is designed to work properly with SDC, make sure your development software is applying the SDC. 

If the result after SDC is still the amount of vignetting Dave’s sample shows,  I for one would be disappointed.  YMMV and that’s fine  

The Noctilux is a special case as i am sure you know.  I have owned many Leica lenses including various zooms and never seen that degree of vignetting on film or digital. 

SDC....?

LR tells me.........This raw file contains a built-in lens profile for correcting distortion and chromatic aberration. The profile has already been applied automatically to this image.

Or because adjusting vignetting can alter the color rendition.

• Like 1