Magnification with L lenses on CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all

Just picked up the 18 2.8 to pair with my CL. Up to this point I've been using M mount lenses with the adaptor, so this is my first AF lens on the CL

I've figured out that if you want focus peaking to override the AF by focusing manually, you have to have the shutter pressed half way - my question is, is there image magnification available as well? With the right wheel acting as the aperture control with this lens, I wasn't sure if there was a way to do it.

thanks!

Michael

Partially answering my own question here - it appears that in MF mode, the magnification can happen automatically (based on your settings.) and - using the center button will toggle between 3x and 6x. My question was more pertaining to AF mode when you override to MF. I"m not seeing a way for it to do it - seems it would make sense for the auto magnification to kick in just like it does in MF if you are overriding the AF

Here's what little I know.

When in AF, if I hold the shutter button half way to focus and then turn the focus ring of either my 56-18 or 55-135 peaking will kick in, but not magnification.

Magnification only kicks in automatically in MF mode.

But being a relative newbie, I could well be wrong and there may be another way.

Leica motto is : Das Wesentliche, or, "The simplest way" , hence, go back to manual because it is not designed to go further and further into blind alleys like the competition !

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 6:50 AM, Dave in Wales said:

Here's what little I know.

When in AF, if I hold the shutter button half way to focus and then turn the focus ring of either my 56-18 or 55-135 peaking will kick in, but not magnification.

Magnification only kicks in automatically in MF mode.

But being a relative newbie, I could well be wrong and there may be another way.

15 hours ago, Petercoll said:

Leica motto is : Das Wesentliche, or, "The simplest way" , hence, go back to manual because it is not designed to go further and further into blind alleys like the competition !

Dave - you're right, I've posed this question on this forum before and others have confirmed it. Magnification only works on native AF lenses if the camera is in manual mode, peaking works in either. Annoys me too but I'll live 😁

Thanks everyone - I didn't see it in an initial glance at the manual or doing a search. I find it later in the manual, but it seemed more about what it did do than what it didn't. I do think it would be good for the Leica folks to consider having a way to invoke magnification in AF Mode

• Like 1