Voigtländer Nokton 35/1.4 II

padam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cosina has officially announced the 'NOKTON Classic 35mm F1.4 II SC VM' and 'NOKTON Classic 35 mm F1.4 II MC VM'

Japanese product page

NOKTON Classic 35mm F1.4 II SC / MC VM
Tweaked optical system to improve the focusing accuracy with the live view function
Reduced focus shift due to changes in aperture values
Two types of lens coating (single coating / multi coating) to choose
Lens constitution: Six pieces eight pieces
Minimum shooting distance: 0.7 m
Filter diameter: 43 mm
Size: φ55.0 × 28.5 mm
Weight: 189 g
Mount: VM mount
Expected release date: June 2019
Recommended retail price: 75,000 yen + tax

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by padam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, colonel said:

Thanks

Voigtlander is on fire at the moment

the previous 35 1.4 was not an outstanding lens, better for film. interesting to see how much this is improved

While I agree with this statement, I’ll also say that I’ve shot some of my best work with this lens. It’s big faults are focus shift and barrel distortion. The focus shift can be ameliorated by avoiding apertures between f/2.8 and f/4 within six feet. Beyond six feet the point of focus catches up to the depth of field. As for the distortion, a 6 point adjustment in the Lightroom distortion control tends to flatten the image nicely. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

53 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I'm not sure if live view accuracy has anything to do with the lens. 

But I will wait for this release.  

Probably a translation error, it means better rangefinder focusing, apart from reduced spherical aberrations, it should be pretty similar to the previous version.

I will certainly buy this one when available. I've used the current model for several years; primarily for low light use, but I've also had some great results in bright light stopped down, when compensated for focus shift. I love the size and handling, and if focus shift has been tamed it will be a winner.

• 3 weeks later...

The original has all the faults and qualities of the pre-aspherical Summilux and it isn't a bad lens, better for film yes, but with a Visoflex on a digital camera it works fine. I have a single coated version because I like the way it softens what can be the irritating micro contrast so popular at the moment with modern lenses and sensors, and when you are lucky it makes the highlights glow a bit. The highlights aspect does work much better with film, but it's still worth using the lens on digital. But it's the focus shift that keeps you on your toes and it's a lens that requires concentration and remembering to focus bracket if you aren't using a Visoflex and this is what I'd find appealing with the new version if CV have genuinely solved it. Definitely I'll be keeping an eye on the reviews for this lens though.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 250swb said:

he original has all the faults and qualities of the pre-aspherical Summilux

The original Summilux has neither focus shift, nor the infamous barrel distortion of the Nokton. These things kept me from buying one. I'm quite curious if they managed to improve these shortcomings....

Edited by horosu
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Got a notice from Camera Quest today that they now have the lens in stock. I loved the ver1 (except for the focus shift), so I ordered one immediately, as the description claims the main feature of the new version is to “eliminate focus shift” 

Free overnight shipping, so I should get to start testing tomorrow.

27 minutes ago, bayernfan said:

The size is certainly impressive considering the aperture, however, If the distortion issue hasn't been corrected... well I'll keep using the 35/1.7.

The 35mm f1.7 Ultron VM is the best 35mm lens I own, including the two Leica-branded 35mm lenses I currently own, the f2 ASPH V1, 35mm f2.4 Summarit and an f1.4 FLE I sold not all the long ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

Got a notice from Camera Quest today that they now have the lens in stock. I loved the ver1 (except for the focus shift), so I ordered one immediately, as the description claims the main feature of the new version is to “eliminate focus shift” 

Free overnight shipping, so I should get to start testing tomorrow.

Looking forward to your test, comments and most of all, photo samples!

I have read--and it may be pure speculation--that the only improvement is reducing focus shift. Also read (FWIW) that tests show essentially no difference in flare resistance or image between MC and SC.

I'm very interested in this lens too!

1 hour ago, bayernfan said:

Do you have a zero-distortion 35mm lens to test it against?  I'd be quite eager to see what the distortion looks like at 0.7m, 2m, and infinity.

I’m quite sure it will have noticeable barrel distortion, like the ver1. This hasn’t been an issue for the way I use it. I do have 4 other 35s to compare, and the v3 Summicron is basically distortion free.

USPS slipped up on overnight delivery, so hopefully it will come tomorrow.