Upcoming M10X with 47MP?

colint544

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Reliable until he doubled down on his predicted C-M camera last June.  

Jeff

Don't remember that one. I just dip in and out of his site. He was bang on about the M10, I'll give him that.

Cheers,

Colin

That was hard to miss... this forum lit up for weeks in anticipation, and then railed for weeks after.

He was also confident last November that the SL2 would arrive in the few months following, before the Panasonic S1 In Q1.

Before that, he had built up a good track record, starting with the M9.  And he even linked up with Leica prior to the Q release, sworn to secrecy before launch.  After that he’s missed on some big ones.

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find his rumours mostly to be repetitions of what he reads elsewhere.  Following the M9 release, the comment was made that he was doing little more than filtering what he read here.  I'm not much of a fan, really.

I don't buy this latest post, much as I might like to.  The mock up is from an M(240), which is unfortunate - it's ugly as hell, particularly the flash where the VF window would have been.  I sincerely believe that a company capable of making a camera as pretty as the M10-D will do a better job than that.  Not surprised if the SL2 is delayed, though it would be a mistake to hold off for too long.  I could see Leica holding to the M10 platform for a while - it's pretty refined.  Producing further variants - a Monochrom, a high resolution version with 47MP (I doubt there's room for IBIS and all the heat management required, but what do I know), others?

EVF version of the M10-P?  I'm not so sure.  What would be the point?  I have been a vocal advocate for an M10-E in the past, but now I'm not at all sure.  The L-mount cameras scratch that itch for me, and on the rare occasions I need an EVF the Visoflex (020) is good enough.  Apart from addressing focus shift (less a problem these days with the new lenses), metering options and focus peaking/movable focus patch/magnification, what doors would an EVF based M camera open?  Worse battery life, video (the M10-J, for Jaap?) ... not convinced anymore, as the M10-D / M10-P cameras are just so good.

APO-Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH?  Does the existing 50 Summilux-M really need upgrading?  It's already APO and FLE.  I won't be selling mine ...  There are other gaps to fill - APO Noctilux-M 35mm f/0.8 ASPH (FLE) would be nice  ... okay, maybe a little large.  f/0.95?  A Elmarit-M 16mm f/2.8 ASPH?  We could start some rumours ...

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 4

I am skeptical, regarding a 47MP M camera. I am certainly not asking for such a camera. If it becomes a reality, I would hope that Leica would continue to also make modest-MP M cameras. I have a 5Ds R and a D850, so am no stranger to high-MP cameras. Leica M cameras are, somewhat, my antidote for those DSLRs. On the other hand, some users will be happy to see a high-MP M, and I do not wish for them to be deprived. If Leica sees an economic opportunity, well, so let it be.

Regarding an integral EVF, I think of the M10’s smaller battery, that depletes quickly enough, as it is. I like that My Monochrom 246 and M10 give me a choice of either an external (shoe-mount) EVF or a non-powered external, optical VF. An improved external EVF for the M10-series, that is sturdier, and does not block part of the shutter speed dial, would be nice.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Worse battery life, video (the M10-J, for Jaap?) ...

:lol::lol:  Nah - I've more or less given up on the M system. I'm keeping the M9 and M6 for nostalgia and the Super-Elmar 18, and the MM1 for obvious reasons, but I am slowly selling off most of the lenses I used on my M cameras and other M stuff.
I think that the L family has taken over most if not all of the M functions.

Video? The CL for me for the simple stuff and Panasonic should I wish to supplement my wife's holiday videos. I might pick up an SL in a while with the used prices crashing, or a Panasonic at a later stage. Native lens size (and price) is holding me back, though.

• Like 5

Personally I wouldn't be interested in a M that would offer 47mp's, for me where it is now at 24mp's is absolutely good enough. I have other cameras that offer higher MP's but rarely see the benefit. For example I truly love my Q version 1, it's been a great camera to use since I bought it when they first came out, I like too some of the improvements that the Q2 offers over the original Q, but to have to deal with the large MP files is the prime reason why I wouldn't trade up the Q1 to the Q2, not worth it in terms of file storage and handling, what the Q1 delivers is as with my M10's, way good enough.

A substitution of an internal EVF would kill the whole raison d'être, attraction, of the M which is the straightforward rangefinder OVF. As others have mentioned here the battery size that the M presently uses would also mean a greater diminishment of "life" per full battery charge which would hurt many users, those that like to shoot hundreds of images per day / session for instance. 

I agree too that an improved Visoflex is much a much desired improvement for the M10 line, the present 020 is "ok", better than the Olympus re-badged offering that is used on the 240 line of cameras, a sleeker metal bodied clip-on OVF would be good to have for the newer M variants rather than the plasticly 020.  

On 5/6/2019 at 4:29 PM, colint544 said:

Some interesting upcoming Leica products rumoured on the usually very reliable Leica Rumors

Thanks for posting. I would not have seen this info otherwise. Rumors are rumors IMO so I take it for what its worth. But I do find the concept of a 47MP M camera very interesting and after working with 42MP sensors for a few years now would jump at the opportunity to work with a 47MP Leica camera. To me no surprise particularly since the Q2 hopped up to 47MP to much applause, and many of us expect the next gen SL to offer 47MP too. Why wouldn’t Leica put the latest greatest sensors in their cameras. If the 47MP is indeed the same 47MP used in the Panasonic S1r, then I think we are in for a very nice DR bump too. Can’t wait to use my Leica M glass on a Leica tuned  47MP sensor.

https://www.dxomark.com/panasonic-lumix-s1r-sensor-review/ 

“Panasonic has chosen a new high-resolution 47.3MP CMOS sensor for the Lumix DC-S1R—one that challenges the class-leading sensors in the Sony A7R III and the Nikon Z 7. Intriguingly, it combines attributes of both of its rivals (with some nuances) and achieves near-identical performance results overall.

With its combination of high pixel count, low noise, and exceptional color sensitivity, the Lumix DC-S1R is likely to appeal to the most demanding studio photographers. And when conditions require it, its excellent dynamic range means the S1R should be a viable candidate for interior, wedding, and landscape photographers. Finally, its competitive price will also strongly appeal to keen amateurs who are looking for a solid all-rounder.”

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 2

The Q2 with 47 mps has merely one additional stop of dynamic range and a bit more noise. It's certainly not "sharper" than the original Q. And its files are huge. But that, along with weathersealing (of sorts), set off a stampede for people who liked the looks of the Q but just couldn't stand that it had half the mps of the Sonys. Because of its competition, the SL2 has to go the same route, .

But the M has no competition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1