M lens to R 2x APO extender?

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd like to attach my M135 f/4 to my R 2x APO with the 14127F adapter and then attach that to my CL. Before buying the adaptor, does anyone know if that will work?

thanks!

Edited by bags27

That adapter is meant to attach a lens which has a Visoflex mount to a Leica R camera. Unless your M135/4 is a Visoflex mount lens, it can't work unless all you're looking for a very tight macro setup. 

You'd be better off looking for a nice clean Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 lens if you want to mount a 135 onto the APO 2x Extender-R. They're available and not hugely expensive. I regularly mount my Elmar-R 180mm f/4 onto the 2x Extender-R netting a 360mm f/8, which gives an effective 540mm f/8 equivalent on the CL with very nice imaging, and that isn't even the APO 2x Extender-R. I haven't done it with the Elmarit-R 135 yet, perhaps I'll do a couple of test shots to see what it images like. :D

Thanks much. Yes, on another thread, I discovered that this was about a Visoflex. Too bad for the easy fix there!

I like the idea of the Elmarit-R 135 f/2.8. It's still small enough that traveling with that and the 2X APO is easy. I usually use it with the R 80-200 f/4, and that's just too heavy a lens to bring with me. Thanks!

It images well in the near field too. This is full frame width (trimmed top and bottom for the wide panorama effect): 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica CL + 2x Extender-R + Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8
ISO 800 @ f/4 @ 1/4 sec

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought the 14127 was the older version of the R lens to M camera adapter, not M lens to R camera. The rule of thumb is that you can fit a lens with an adapter to a camera (or other device), if the flange focal distance of the lens is greater than the camera. There are some weird adapters around made in the 1950's and 60's by the like of Novoflex and Kuhn-Leitz for macro purposes. I have one of these strange adapters with male bayonets on both sides called a VISA adapter, that I believe may be part of the Novoflex follow focus system. 

Wilson

• 1 month later...

Bags,

16471 adapter  mount and 16464 focusing mount can take the 135mm F4 lens head and mount it correctly for Leica R with infinity focus correct.  Your 2x would work then.  These are around $70 used each.  Few people are aware that the lens head unscrews on the Tele-Elmar.  It is just an odd adapter combination.  I use it all the time, but I have not noticed anyone else use it.

• Thanks 1

Hello Jamison,

Some here do use odd lenses from/of Visoflex area

As when I wanted to use Apo-Extender-R 2x with Visoflex lenses, I had found it usable, but forgot how 😵.

So some weeks ago, I wanted to rebuild the setup but with Tele-Elmar head, and found the way :

Tele-Elmar head 4/135 screwed in a focus ring 16464 (as to use on Visoflex III for example),

then a custom M to R ring attached to Apo-Extender 2x,

in the end custom R to M ring

that setup is not very nice to look at but it works as 270mm f/8 and gives nice results.

the setup was used on Sony A7R at 100 ISO

(for simplicity of trying out, even if the EVF is not usually my cup of tea)

• Like 3

Given how little money the 135mm Elmarit-R lenses fetch (I have seen them on eBay France for less than €200), would it not be easier to get one of those? However i do admire your ingenuity and persistence in getting a Tele-Elmar head to work with the 2X extender. I have the excellent 80-200 and 500MR lenses to use with my APO extender. 

Wilson

4 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Given how little money the 135mm Elmarit-R lenses fetch (I have seen them on eBay France for less than €200), would it not be easier to get one of those? However i do admire your ingenuity and persistence in getting a Tele-Elmar head to work with the 2X extender. I have the excellent 80-200 and 500MR lenses to use with my APO extender. 

Wilson

+1 Between the time I posted the original question and now, I actually did just that (in the U.S. for $250). But thanks for these suggestions, and, as Wilson says, I too admire what you've done.

I also have the R80-200 that I pair with the extender, but am better able to travel with and/or handhold the R135 with the extender. Different tools with different expectations.

• Thanks 1

If you are interested in an optimised solution,  a lightweight compact solution for hiking:  

E. Leitz Tele-Elmar 1:4 / 135mm with APO-Extender-M (... from SATE ...)

Am 1.4.2018 um 07:43 schrieb Dao De Leitz:

Fleckenstein, E. Leitz Tele-Elmar 1:4 / 135mm (on Flickr)

Fleckenstein, E. Leitz Tele-Elmar 1:4 / 135mm with APO-Extender-M (v 3x) (on Flickr)

Thorsten (;-)

Edited by Dao De Leitz
edit
  • Like 1