M10 P: black or safari olive?

james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To be perfectly honest, I think that this camera is not an investment.  I bought the safari because I like the way it looks.  With a long enough timeline perhaps will it hold more resale value than a black or silver version, but I intend to use it often just like I’ve used all my other cameras.  I think it will be up to my heirs to figure out what it’s worth :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/6/2019 at 9:02 PM, Erikvw said:

My choice was obvious! The Looks!

I like the idea of the olive green, but not dressed up to look like something to hang on a Christmas tree.  Too much silver for my taste, sorry! :)

5 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I like the idea of the olive green, but not dressed up to look like something to hang on a Christmas tree.  Too much silver for my taste, sorry! :)

True enough but this P iteration is not paint but black chrome. Dull look that gets duller over time. Have an M6 and there’s isn’t much charm to that finish. 

On 5/20/2019 at 1:41 AM, Herr Barnack said:

The M10 Safari camera is truly beautiful, especially with a chrome lens mounted.

As for holding its resale value, I'm doubtful.  I have the M-P 240 kit and was startled at how low of a trade-in value it has when I checked - $4000 for the whole kit which was $10,000 when new.  I'm keeping it and will use it as a back up when I get my M10-P or M11. 

I've heard of taking a bath on trades, but the water in a $6000 bath is just too cold for me.

Wasn't the safari kit actually cheaper than buying the combo separately? Seems the Safaris are not priced super-high which is nice. I wouldn't pay double just for the colour change but a few hundred bucks in okay.

23 minutes ago, howiebrou said:

Wasn't the safari kit actually cheaper than buying the combo separately? Seems the Safaris are not priced super-high which is nice. I wouldn't pay double just for the colour change but a few hundred bucks in okay.

Already in for ~$8000 once you are looking at a M10P, the $500 up charge doesn’t seem like a huge leap.

Definitely go Safari Green. However this camera is not stealthy at all. I am stopped by people continuously asking "what type of film camera is that?" But absolute delight on their faces when I fold down the Lederhosen on the rear and reveal the LCD panel 🙂

3 hours ago, howiebrou said:

Yes, the M-P 240 safari kit was around $1000 less than buying an M-P 240 and a 35mm Summicron, which is what prompted me to take the plunge.  Then you got the Leica leather strap, vented chrome lens hood, chrome push on lens cap and leather SD card holder as part of the package.  It was too good of a deal to pass up.

The M10 Safari body and 50mm Summicron Safari lens are sold separately at the regular prices and you don't get the extras this time around.

22 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

I'm so tempted to buy the safari but then I know I will have to buy new lenses in silver because all of mine are black...First world problems but darn the green with silver looks good!

But the OP neglected to include the silver chrome body option, which could suit your black lenses well.

Jeff

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

But the OP neglected to include the silver chrome body option, which could suit your black lenses well.

Jeff

That is what I am currently operating with on the M color side, silver M10P.  

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

For replacement or second body?  First world issue, indeed. :)

Jeff

I know, exactly, that is why I called myself out on it, ha. :  (

It would be a 3rd body to the M10P & M246. However, I won't buy it even though I lust after it.

I'm hanging onto my pennies (X 900000) for a M10 Monochrom, in case one comes. 

4 hours ago, dkmoore said:

I'm so tempted to buy the safari but then I know I will have to buy new lenses in silver because all of mine are black...First world problems but darn the green with silver looks good!

Madness!!!

(Besides, my main 35 is a Biogon C, the other 35 is a Summaron ƒ/2.8 and there there's the 50 Rigid. All chrome.)

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Jeff

Silver vanilla camera. Leica lent me a silver chrome Monochrom while they fixed my sensor. Very nice but...ehh. 

4 hours ago, jdlaing said:

That OD Green looks pretty nifty to some of you all probably because you didn’t have to wear that color every day for 30 years. 

I wore dress Navy blue or white. Girls always did seem to prefer us to the poor Army chaps in green.

8 hours ago, james.liam said:

Madness!!!

(Besides, my main 35 is a Biogon C, the other 35 is a Summaron ƒ/2.8 and there there's the 50 Rigid. All chrome.)

Silver vanilla camera. Leica lent me a silver chrome Monochrom while they fixed my sensor. Very nice but...ehh. 

I wore dress Navy blue or white. Girls always did seem to prefer us to the poor Army chaps in green.

I was Navy too. Our part of the Canoe Club was green.

Edited by jdlaing