WLAN, Bluetooth and IQ.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Firstly, I'm most unsure of my ground here, and it's sure to be a dumb question.

Using the CL app I transfer an image using WiFi to my iPhone, then using Bluetooth I transfer it to my MacBook.

Does this have any effect on the image IQ.

I've only started using the app since acquiring a case, it's easier than removing the card.

I have also noticed that the Leica 'L' frame number is abandoned by Apple in favour of consecutive 'IMG' numbers for the same image.

Example, IMG_1987.JPG....and....IMG_1988.DNG.....confusing.

I shoot both JPG and DNG

Edited by Dave in Wales

Why not using an SD card reader with your MacBook first and let iCloud sync your file through the cloud to all your device ? 

Foto App is quite a crap and very inefficient for wirelessly downloading photos. 

However if you choose to download DNG, the file will remain the same.

About JPG download, it should be the same. Not sure though. 

Actually, be sure to only use DNG. Leica’s latest jpg engine (CL and Q2) is total crap.

For jpg only, just buy another brand such as Canon, Fuji or Olympus. 

Leica is a DNG only brand. Relying on Lightroom for post process. 

3 hours ago, Dave in Wales said:

Firstly, I'm most unsure of my ground here, and it's sure to be a dumb question.

Using the CL app I transfer an image using WiFi to my iPhone, then using Bluetooth I transfer it to my MacBook.

I've only started using the app since acquiring a case, it's easier than removing the card.

I have also noticed that the Leica 'L' frame number is abandoned by Apple in favour of consecutive 'IMG' numbers for the same image.

I shoot both JPG and DNG

Wrong workflow; use a card-reader. Faster, more reliable and easier

vor 2 Stunden schrieb frame-it:

its a simple file transfer..it shouldn't affect the image quality in any way.

if you use bluetooth to transfer a photo shot with your phone to your laptop does the quality change ?

+1

A file just is a bag, a digital bag. During the copying the bag is not opened, the contents is not recognized as a picture. The bag could contain an app, a letter or something else.

8 hours ago, Dave in Wales said:

I shoot both JPG and DNG

Transferring image files from one machine to another can't have any effect on image quality at all. 

I don't know how you transfer the images form the iPhone to the MacBook using Bluetooth. If you use AirDrop, you're transferring via WiFi, and whatever the file name is transferred by the FOTOs app is preserved, as far as I'm aware. If you're seeing file name changes, it's likely because Photos is changing it due to some other process. 

When I use Leica FOTOs, I have it set to transfer raw files only. I have my camera set to make raw files only. I don't see any purpose to doing JPEG+raw any more, since Pnotos, Affinity Photo, and Snapseed all recognize and convert Leica CL DNG files easily on iOS devices now, and if I'm just using the phone or pad as a waypoint to file tranfer the thumbnails are good enough. 

22 hours ago, Dave in Wales said:

But could there be any subtle degradation that does not effect file size?

The transfer process itself won't affect the IQ.

If you really want to assure yourself all is well Google "check hash value of a file" for your OS of choice. You can use this method to generate a "value" for the source and destination files - they should be the same.

• Like 1