Mandler Summicron Spherical Aberration for Leica Glow , How internal Aberration effect fully corrected lens ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leitz Mandler Summicron is extremelly well , one of the best corrected lens ever. But when you look to its elements , there are many aberrations. At near to aperture and back of the aperture , there is very strong spherical aberration. Some says that aberration is responsible for leica glow.

I am having hard time to understand how extremelly corrected lens been effected from spherical aberration inside , remember lens is corrected finally.

If someone shed light on this , I would be very happy.

Thank you ,

Umut

Genius design from Genius Doctor Mandler.

His "secret" can not be explained or duplicated 😉.

Use the lens happily if you happen to have one or more (like me, I'm happy 😍 to use the tens of lenses he designed from 21mm to 350mm ).

If you have a mathematical mind and can get hold of Erwin Puts' Leica Compendium, he has many highly technical pages detailing these issues and their interactions in lens design and manufacturing.

I did not find puts book is for mathematical minds , it is not no more than for blog writers. basic word of mouth stuff, and  I dont believe secrets , every secret can be tested and decoded. 

Lets turn to main problem , how a extremelly corrected lenses internal aberrations effect image or may be does not effect result ?

I need answer for that.

Thank you very much and good morning to everyone.

Edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having difficulty in understanding the question you've asked from the point of view that an aberration, whether spherical, chromatic, or coma only truly becomes an aberration in the image.  An aberration will present a difference in the image from what we would see when viewing the object directly.  This would indicate that 'virtual' optical aberrations in the optical train inside the lens don't matter if the image contains little or no aberration in a well-corrected lens.  I apologise if I've missed your point.

I recommend reading "Lens Design Fundamentals" by Rudolf Kingslake (ISBN-13: 978-0123743015) because I think you're likely to find your answer in there (available in Kindle or hardback through Amazon).  Kingslake became the Head of Optical Design at Kodak-Eastman in 1957, founded The Institute of Optics, and is widely regarded as the 'father' of photographic lens design.  (This is not to disrespect Dr Walter Mandler of course who was clearly a genius in his own field.)

Pete

Hello Mustafa,

Welcome to the Forum.

Optical design is in some ways like many other aspects of life: The paradigms that people use to represent perceptions of realities sometimes only equate with reality in a certain direction for a certain period of travel. When these paradigms meet in a manner which is not congruent they reach their limit & create a paradox: The point at which for 1 to continue, the other cannot: The limit of knowledge.

Knowledge of reality & reality itself are different. Paradigms are only approximations of reality which usually operate within limits.

Optical paradigms (ie: Spherical aberration.) are controlled by following a set of paradigms called "rules". Sometimes these separate "rules" conflict when different paradigms intersect & something occurs which is not something EITHER paradigm might predict. This exception may or may not lead to a reformulation of 1 or more paradigms.

This anamolous occurrence, sometimes the result of empirical investigation, may, in certain circumstances, bring about a result that was not predicted by any of the sets of rules involved. That is to say that SOMETIMES the results of investigation, theoretical & empirical combined, will bring about results which are better than any set of rules involved had predicted.

Which sometimes leads to a restructuring of previous paradigms to create a new set that allows for the inclusion of the previously excluded results.

Best Regards,

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Umut,

In rereading your initial post, it would seem that you confuse "spherical aberration" with the deeply curved spherical design of the inner individual elements of the Summicron 50mm lens.  Spherical aberrations are indeed due to the spherical surfaces of the lens elements, but you cannot infer that deeply curved surfaces necessarily lead to more spherical aberrations.

Your phrase: "But when you look to its elements , there are many aberrations" suggests that you are implying one from the other.

Guy

On 5/14/2019 at 1:25 PM, Michael Geschlecht said:

Optical design is in some ways like many other aspects of life: The paradigms that people use to represent perceptions of realities sometimes only equate with reality in a certain direction for a certain period of travel. When these paradigms meet in a manner which is not congruent they reach their limit & create a paradox: The point at which for 1 to continue, the other cannot: The limit of knowledge.

One of the best, brief explanations of Th. Kuhn's theory I've ever read.

• Thanks 1