Why Leica?

Michele Belloni

Hello. I read your article "Why Leica" A very good question IMO. Something I have thought about myself more than once, or each time I buy another Leica lens. Ha Ha. 

I learned from your article that Leica created the first AF system and sold that tech to Minolta who in turn created the first AF camera the Minolta 7000 AF while decided to stick with MF only cameras. Truly interesting. I guess history can tell us if that was a good decision or not.

Personally:

1. Sometimes I see a unique look some of my Leica glass can produce in the right circumstances. I like this look very much and am thrilled when others notice this look too and bring it to my attention. 

2. In today's word of some pretty fantastical camera tech, the Rangefinder provides a very satisfying and now unique experience ...all over again. To my knowledge Leica is the only company still producing RF cameras? 

3. In a world suffering from dragging around back-breaking DSLR cameras, lenses and associated gear, making your way with small/compact Leica gear is a refreshing pleasure. The unique high quality IQ is just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

Hello. I read your article "Why Leica" A very good question IMO. Something I have thought about myself more than once, or each time I buy another Leica lens. Ha Ha. 

I learned from your article that Leica created the first AF system and sold that tech to Minolta who in turn created the first AF camera the Minolta 7000 AF while decided to stick with MF only cameras. Truly interesting. I guess history can tell us if that was a good decision or not.

Personally:

1. Sometimes I see a unique look some of my Leica glass can produce in the right circumstances. I like this look very much and am thrilled when others notice this look too and bring it to my attention. 

2. In today's word of some pretty fantastical camera tech, the Rangefinder provides a very satisfying and now unique experience ...all over again. To my knowledge Leica is the only company still producing RF cameras? 

3. In a world suffering from dragging around back-breaking DSLR cameras, lenses and associated gear, making your way with small/compact Leica gear is a refreshing pleasure. The unique high quality IQ is just icing on the cake.

Hi mate and thanks for your time. Yes Leica invented the first AF module and AT THAT TIME rangefinder was still preferable. Now it's only a matter of extreme personal taste. Today Leica is the only one with a digital rangefinder (I had a Fuji Xpro2 and no... it's not the same thing obviously).

In the last three years I'va swapped my Canon equipment for Sony, then Nikon and Fuji and Sony again and now Nikon. Leica has been with me since 15 years ago. So many Leica cameras, so many cron and lux lenses (and one hector) and so much japanese gear. I can tell you that the only thing that now is comparable is my Nikon Z6 with the S-Line lenses. It's sharpen and ha a bokeh so similar to my 35 FLE that I'm going crazy.

Everything is a matter of choice. For my personal project I use both and I love to shoot with both cameras but around my neck and my heart Leica has a privileged place.

Forgive my english and thanks again.

• Like 1