Just got a TL 55-135, is it normal to have noise?

yst

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, magosak said:

Camera Firmware on my CL is 2.2. CL menu also shows the lens firmware which is 1.0 for my 55-135.

Thank you.   Does that mean I need to update my CL to 2.2?   How to do it? 

6 hours ago, yst said:

Thank you.  The camera information showing:  Firmware 2.1

is that up to date already?  And how to "if needed updating the lens firmware"?   

That is an automatic process without user input. For camera firmware updates visit Leica’s website. 

• Like 1

Welcome to Leica Dave, hit and miss.

I have not had any issue with new lenses but several M camera bodies have had to go back for various reasons, mainly sensor issues.

When you get your 55-135, enjoy it, do not look for faults. (touch wood) I have not had a single issue with my CL system, lenses or body.

2 hours ago, Dave in Wales said:

Came across this on page 12....

And this on page 14.......

I'm a bit concerned, I've got a new one being delivered today :unsure:

An Internet Forum is a honeypot for problems. It is rare for it to reflect the real-life frequency.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just took delivery of my brand spanking new 55-135, it's a beaut.

Guess what.....it makes a noise much like the others have described but..........it doesn't bother me one bit.

It sounds 'normal' as if it belongs, but for this thread I doubt I'd even have bothered about it.

It was sealed in the grey scratch box they all come in, so it's not been handled.

NOW...................lets go and take some snaps with it. :) 

Edited by Dave in Wales

10 hours ago, jaapv said:

An Internet Forum is a honeypot for problems. It is rare for it to reflect the real-life frequency.

Camera problems and medical advice: two things not to take seriously on the web.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:58 PM, jaapv said:

I was about to give an identical answer. There is no reason why being mounted on the camera should make a difference to the zoom mechanism, which is mechanical and not connected to the mount.

Go easy with me, I'm still a newbie really :unsure:

Is this strictly true? 

In 'P' and 'A' modes the shutter speed is connected to the zoom position and increases or decreases in accordance with the zoom length, there's clever :)

• 1 year later...

I recently received a used TL 55-135 lens from a reputable Leica dealer (Leica Lisse). After attaching the lens to my TL2 and turning on the camera I noticed a subtle noise/vibration when turning the zoom ring. The noise sounds and feels like a cyclical whir or pulse (similar to when the camera is focusing continuously). The phenomenon only happens while turning the zoom ring and the camera is on. It is absent when the camera is off/sleep. The zoom ring and manual focus ring both have smooth action. The lens focuses appropriately and takes sharp photos. The condition of the lens is excellent (no dents, scratches, or wear). 

Here’s a video that demonstrates this phenomenon: 

Is this normal operation?

1 hour ago, Rac1ngsnak3 said:

I recently received a used TL 55-135 lens from a reputable Leica dealer (Leica Lisse). After attaching the lens to my TL2 and turning on the camera I noticed a subtle noise/vibration when turning the zoom ring. The noise sounds and feels like a cyclical whir or pulse (similar to when the camera is focusing continuously). The phenomenon only happens while turning the zoom ring and the camera is on. It is absent when the camera is off/sleep. The zoom ring and manual focus ring both have smooth action. The lens focuses appropriately and takes sharp photos. The condition of the lens is excellent (no dents, scratches, or wear). 

Mine does exactly the same, bought new from Leica Stockholm. 

Never had any problems with the lens or photos from it. :) 

I can add that the 18-56 sounds similar, though much less intense.

regards 

//Linus 

Edited by Linus84
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rac1ngsnak3 said:

If my lens made a creaking sound like that it would have been returned on the spot. Unacceptable. Both my 18-56 and 55-135 make a faint swishing sound, nothing more. 

Leica Repair responded and said that this noise is not normal and to send it in for repair.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!