Just got a TL 55-135, is it normal to have noise?

yst

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just have a chance got a brand new 55-135 TL lens, when turning the zoom, it is smooth, but when coupled with the CL to turn the same zoom, then the combination produce some pronounced sound noise... is it normal?   Is it in your 55-35 + CL as well? 

I was about to give an identical answer. There is no reason why being mounted on the camera should make a difference to the zoom mechanism, which is mechanical and not connected to the mount.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jaapv said:

My Tele-Elmar is not very good at 55 mm :D

😀, but thinking I might just depend on the 18-56 and crop to get to equivalent of c. 120mm or so.

Edited by bags27

The "noise" is not audible when just holding the combination with hands to turn the zoom ring, but when putting the camera up on the face against the eye for looking through the viewfinder, then when turning the zoom ring, there will be a slight "internal noise" (sounds like: gi-gi-gi, gi-gi-gi...). 

And just notice that:  The "zoom turning noise" only present when the camera is turned on, when the CL is turned off, or in "sleep" mood, that "gi-gi-gi, gi-gi-gi" mechanical sound like internal noise is NOT present.

And yes, there is no noise if the lens is on it own not attached, when turning the zoom...  

8 hours ago, Dave in Wales said:

Any good reason may I ask, as I have a 55-135 on back order.

Sure, Dave. The 80-200 is a kind of "tweener" and I'm not sure my photographic habits align with it. My older lens is very sharp and lighter and probably adequate for what I imagine using it for: travel when I do usually have time to set up a shot and don't therefore need autofocus. I'm still undecided: I do have an offer from Leica for it, and need to think about value.

Edited by bags27

10 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Sure, Dave. The 80-200 is a kind of "tweener" and I'm not sure my photographic habits align with it. My older lens is very sharp and lighter and probably adequate for what I imagine using it for: travel when I do usually have time to set up a shot and don't therefore need autofocus. I'm still undecided: I do have an offer from Leica for it, and need to think about value.

Thank you, I was concerned it was for IQ issues.

I've just been told the delivery of mine has now gone out to mid May....Ho-Hum.

2 minutes ago, Dave in Wales said:

Thank you, I was concerned it was for IQ issues.

I've just been told the delivery of mine has now gone out to mid May....Ho-Hum.

IQ is very good. I wouldn't myself rank it with the 2 really great TL primes--35 and 60--but outstanding for a zoom lens, and "fast enough."

20 hours ago, yst said:

... when turning the zoom ring, there will be a slight "internal noise" (sounds like: gi-gi-gi, gi-gi-gi...). 

My brand new 55-135 does the same sound when I zoom in/out. It seems like it's continuously refocusing to maintain the focus. If I zoom in/out slowly it maintains the focus but when I turn the focus ring fast it misses the refocus. Ironically, focusing mode is set to AFs.

EDIT 2:  It still does it when I set the focusing mode to MF.

EDIT 1: My lens firmware version is 1.0, if that matters.

Edited by magosak

1 hour ago, magosak said:

My brand new 55-135 does the same sound when I zoom in/out. It seems like it's continuously refocusing to maintain the focus. If I zoom in/out slowly it maintains the focus but when I turn the focus ring fast it misses the refocus. Ironically, focusing mode is set to AFs.

EDIT 2:  It still does it when I set the focusing mode to MF.

EDIT 1: My lens firmware version is 1.0, if that matters.

Dose that matter:  on my 55-135, on the lens end cap, it has a orange red label: "Attention: Required Camera Firmware 1.2 or higher"    

No, it doesn't. That has to do with the camera controlling and if needed updating the lens firmware. Just make sure your camera is on the current firmware.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

No, it doesn't. That has to do with the camera controlling and if needed updating the lens firmware. Just make sure your camera is on the current firmware.

Thank you.  The camera information showing:  Firmware 2.1

is that up to date already?  And how to "if needed updating the lens firmware"?   

2 hours ago, yst said:

Dose that matter:  on my 55-135, on the lens end cap, it has a orange red label: "Attention: Required Camera Firmware 1.2 or higher"    

Camera Firmware on my CL is 2.2. CL menu also shows the lens firmware which is 1.0 for my 55-135.