Leica Q Raw file contrast

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

I own a Leica Q and I am happy even with the jpegs out of the camera. But I recently started to learn C1 and when I open the dngs in C1 they seem quite odd - like if someone processed them with photoshop with maximum contrast. I know that the jpeg out of the camera is not a benchmark for quality but still this does not make munch sense to me. The ICC Profile in C1 is set to Leica Q (Typ116) Generic. I don't know where is the problem - the jpeg out of the camera is smoothened or maybe something happened with the dng during import in C1? I attached a screenshot from C1 after import and  screen shot from Preview at 100%.

I would be very thankful if someone could have a look to the images. Best regards

out of camera:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

dng in C1:

Edited by slavcho

When you ingest in Capture One are you using any Adjustment settings (see the left side of the ingest dialogue)? If so, what are they?

For what it's worth, I use Capture One 12 and am happy with the DNGs I import. They don't seem to need much attention other than auto adjustment of exposure, HDR and levels on import.

Edit: you can check what auto adjustments are being applied on ingest by going to Capture One > Adjustments > Configure Auto Adjustments. Sorry if you already know that!

Stephen

Edited by Stephen_C

3 hours ago, microview said:

Looks as though a lot of sharpening added rather than contrast affected. Lightroom for instance has a default sharpening in its Developer section but wouldn't look as extreme as your examples.

slavcho,  I agree with what microview said.  At least on my screen, I can detect virtually no change in contrast—only added sharpening.

make sure auto adjust and include existing adjustments are both off, and then see if there is any major difference..and also check the in-camera setting for the  jpg's

Hi guys

Thank You very much for the responses. Auto Adjustments were Levels, Exposure and High Dynamic Range. I turned them off. Camera jpeg settings are:

Color Management: sRGB

Contrast: Standard

Saturation: Standard

Sharpness: Standard

But unfortunately I still have the problem. And its not just over sharpened but the green colours of the leaves are different. Any idea?

I have uploaded the picture in 3 variants: jpeg out of camera (12mb), jpeg opened in C1 and exported as jpg with 100% quality (24mb)  and jpg exported from dng via PS. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146678799@N06/shares/02i318/

Many thanks in advance

But I did not apply any Curves preset. Do You mean that I have to "fix" through Curves every image I import into C1 in order to get decent contrast like in the jpg out of camera? In Base Characteristics Curve is set to Auto. Best

I find I have to adjust Curves for just about ANY digital image out of any camera. A subtle midtones lift followed by linear contrast  and sometimes a tweak to shadows and highlights will improve nearly all images and make them look more film-like, for lack of a better description. Most OOC JPG images, especially Leica, are rather mediocre in my book.

It is not fixing, it is optimizing.
Just like before - pressing the shutter is the easiest part - the darkroom (nowadays your postprocessing)  and printing makes or breaks the result - see Ansel Adams.

Okay. So basically I have to make a custom preset with similar steps like Yours to the point where I am satisfied with the quality and always apply it to my images as a "base adjustment". A more film-like look sounds great. Does someone want to share an example preset for Leica Q?