Strength of old elpro close-up filters.

All I can tell you is that if you order an “x to series VII step up ring”, it fits the ELPRO VIIa and VIIb perfectly, the two ELPRO lenses screw into each other perfectly, and the Series VII retaining ring screws into both of them perfectly. An “x to 54mm” step up ring fits perfectly too. And the retaining ring fits my R lenses that are listed as taking Series VII filters.

Seems to me that the threads all have to be 54mm and the thread pitch the same. :)

17 minutes ago, ramarren said:

All I can tell you is that if you order an “x to series VII step up ring”, it fits the ELPRO VIIa and VIIb perfectly, the two ELPRO lenses screw into each other perfectly, and the Series VII retaining ring screws into both of them perfectly. An “x to 54mm” step up ring fits perfectly too. And the retaining ring fits my R lenses that are listed as taking Series VII filters.

Seems to me that the threads all have to be 54mm and the thread pitch the same. :)

Hello Ramarren,

Yes, that is the idea.

Would you be able to measure the pitch on a Series VIII (8) filter retaining ring for us?

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

1 hour ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Ramarren,

Yes, that is the idea.

Would you be able to measure the pitch on a Series VIII (8) filter retaining ring for us?

Best Regards,

Michael

I'd be happy to, if I owned any Series VIII bits. I only have Series VII.

Series VII, near as I can measure it with somewhat clumsy tools, runs 0.75mm per thread. That's measured on the Leica 14161 retaining ring. The diameter of the Leica Series VII UV filter in the retainer is 50.8mm. The measured diameter of the male threads to their outside edges is 53.7mm, presumably the "54mm" is a nominal figure. 

I suspect that the Series VIII have the same thread pitch, just handle the larger 63.5mm filter disks, but of course that's pure conjecture. 

An interesting detail in the R lenses is that my Summilux-R 50 and Elmarit-R 28 both take Series VII filters, but the lens hood is the retaining mechanism and the ELPRO VIIa and VIIb cannot be fitted. These lenses' bezels are threaded, however, and I believe take something like a 48mm thread ring. 

I should pick up that book dunk is referring to ... But I use filters and close up lenses relatively infrequently and my setup is all worked out already. :D

Edited by ramarren
  • Thanks 1

Summicron 50mm f2 R (Canada) with Elpro (Portugal) screw on adapter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Peter,

I presume this is the ELPRO VIa or VIb ..?

I have one of the Summicron-R 50mm f/2 lenses ... an early one, 1964 vintage. I've been meaning to send it to DAG for a CLA because the focusing ring is too stiff ... the grease must have turned to goo by now. Lovely lens, regardless. :D

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, ramarren said:

Peter,

I presume this is the ELPRO VIa or VIb ..?

I have one of the Summicron-R 50mm f/2 lenses ... an early one, 1964 vintage. I've been meaning to send it to DAG for a CLA because the focusing ring is too stiff ... the grease must have turned to goo by now. Lovely lens, regardless. :D

Am not clear on nomenclature. The 50mm R fits the R to L adapter,  aperture pin wise, so must be post 1967 ? Anyway, I paid under £50 off EBay, and I’m staggered of the quality of both, the adapter has threads on both sides. The other lens I adore is the 90mm f2 R . 

I've got Seiko Bronica +1 and +2 lenses with 62mm thread and a 52-62 adapter ring.  So far some good results with the +2 lens. (Adding the +1 and +2 together results in vignetting.

I've also got a R 100mm 2.8 Apo macro and the Elpro  1:1 adapter. The elpro is a cracking lens to turn the 100mm  1:2 macro into 1:1.

Does anyone know the power of the 1:1 Elpro adapter please?

With the +2 on a 18-56 at 56, the field of view in focus is about 100mm. Holding the Elpro 1:1 adapter over the front of the lens at 56mm the field of view is about 60mm with no vignetting.  I can get a 52-60 step up ring from Ebay for £3.88 so making a small(ish) macro lens.

Of course you may rightly ask why not use the 100mm  elpro on the CL camera (and I do have an R-L adapter) - but it makes for a sizeable bit of kit and no autofocus.  Ideal for carrying in the car but for walking about!

Looking forward to your sage words of wisdom...

Graeme

• Like 1

A lot of folks like the Marumi best as a filter (brilliantly used on the Q macro thread by Zampelis). 

I don't have the R 100mm 2.8 Apo macro, but I know it's one of the greatest macros ever, and it's on my lust list.

2 hours ago, graeme_clarke said:

I've got Seiko Bronica +1 and +2 lenses with 62mm thread and a 52-62 adapter ring.  So far some good results with the +2 lens. (Adding the +1 and +2 together results in vignetting.

I've also got a R 100mm 2.8 Apo macro and the Elpro  1:1 adapter. The elpro is a cracking lens to turn the 100mm  1:2 macro into 1:1.

Does anyone know the power of the 1:1 Elpro adapter please?

With the +2 on a 18-56 at 56, the field of view in focus is about 100mm. Holding the Elpro 1:1 adapter over the front of the lens at 56mm the field of view is about 60mm with no vignetting.  I can get a 52-60 step up ring from Ebay for £3.88 so making a small(ish) macro lens.

Of course you may rightly ask why not use the 100mm  elpro on the CL camera (and I do have an R-L adapter) - but it makes for a sizeable bit of kit and no autofocus.  Ideal for carrying in the car but for walking about!

Looking forward to your sage words of wisdom...

Graeme

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/ELPRO_1:2-1:1   … it's a 3 element achromat with a 95mm focal length = 0.095m 

Thus diopter strength is 1/f =  1/0.095 = 10.53 diopters .

Please refer to  page 164,  'Excellence in Photography  APPLIED LEICA TECHNIQUE'  by Günter Osterloh for diopter strength calculations of both single and combined lenses

However, the actual magnification when attached to the  100mm f2.8 APO R lens is 1.1:1 … the additional 0.1x magnification enabling slide copying 'in the slide mount' without including the slide frame border.

dunk 

Dunk - that's brilliant!  Thanks so much for the references.  I don't have Excellence in Photography...  readily available but the Leica-Wiki link is most useful.

I'll get an adapter ordered and post some pictures when I can.

Graeme

8 minutes ago, graeme_clarke said:

Dunk - that's brilliant!  Thanks so much for the references.  I don't have Excellence in Photography...  readily available but the Leica-Wiki link is most useful.

I'll get an adapter ordered and post some pictures when I can.

Graeme

They are scarce but Ffordes lists one https://www.ffordes.com/p/SOR-18-017012/lenses-leica-r/elpro-12-11-for-100mm-f28

dunk 

Thanks Dunk - I have the Elpro 1:1 to go with my 100mm macro lens. With a cheap 52-60mm step up ring from Ebay I can mount it onto an 18-56 by keeping the lens part of the elpro inside its lens hood - otherwise the rear element would protrude too far. 

I've been looking to source a reasonably priced copy of the book you refer to... More digging needed!

Graeme

• Thanks 1

In a moment of amusement, I saw a pair of ELPRO Series VIa and Vis close up lenses available on Ebay for $30. I have a 1964 issue Summicron-R 50mm f/2 that they fit perfectly, so I nabbed them. They fit perfectly, and net yet another close up solution with the CL (or one of my R bodies for that matter). And I happen to have the Leica Series VI retaining ring, so I can just find some Series VI filters if I want to use a filter with them. 

Fun fun fun... And pretty darn cheap! :)

Now I should send that lens out to DAG and have it CLAed ... the focusing mount grease has turned to mud and needs to be restored. 

Edited by ramarren

10 hours ago, graeme_clarke said:

Thanks Dunk - I have the Elpro 1:1 to go with my 100mm macro lens. With a cheap 52-60mm step up ring from Ebay I can mount it onto an 18-56 by keeping the lens part of the elpro inside its lens hood - otherwise the rear element would protrude too far. 

I've been looking to source a reasonably priced copy of the book you refer to... More digging needed!

Graeme

Amazon UK have several … search Books using 'Günter Osterloh' … also one on Ebay

dunk